What OS do you run on your ESX/i Target Storage Box

matessim

n00b
i was wondering what most people are using, i heard alot are using FreeNAS, since its easy to set up with iSCSI and all with ESXi, so was wondering other stuff people run.

Also, i was wondering is it possible to use WHS as the host and connect ESXi to it? haven't actually seen anyone doing this yet.

In my test lab I have used Openfiler in the past but currently using Windows 2008 Storage Server. it was more for a POC but it gets the job done.

freeNAS + iSCSI + ESX = no. the BSD target doesn't comply with spec and will cause data corruption. Bad idea.

The current LET will work, although it's also not supported (OpenFiler, RedHat, etc) - as will the microsoft one.

FreeNAS + NFS works great though.

Data corruption really? didn't know that, i saw it being done on hak5 if anyone knows it, someone should really let them know..

From what I've experienced (granted, this was middle of last year), yeah - it didn't support one of the VPD pages correctly. Now, that may have changed, so YMMV, but at that point it didn't work right. :)

was it difficult to set up as a target for your Virtualization box?

Not really, a few issues that i had to troubleshoot (cant remember them now) but nothing too bad. I have setup a few iscsi storage devices in the past from SUN and DELL so i have a little experience.

Post any questions or issues along the way and we will all be happy to help. A lot of good knowledgeable people monitor this forum and are very helpful.

Openfiler 2.3 iSCSI, easy to setup.

**running on Dell PowerVault 775N with PowerVault 220S connected via U320 SCSI.

Last edited:
YEah, but you have to pay for the VSA eventually ;)

I don't think starwind is supported either.

Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 for the host OS. The box has some XP VM's and a Windows 2008 VM as well.

Also can you share the systems your running them on?
is anyone running it on a enterprise solution like a SAN?

They dont need a budget, vendors are going to throw the hardware at them to make sure it ends up on the HCL.

I tested CentOS 5.x and Fedora. Currently has a Pentium 4HT 2.8GHz/1G RAM Fedora 12 SW RAID-1 providing NFS service.

i was wondering what most people are using, i heard alot are using FreeNAS, since its easy to set up with iSCSI and all with ESXi, so was wondering other stuff people run.

Also, i was wondering is it possible to use WHS as the host and connect ESXi to it? haven't actually seen anyone doing this yet.

At work I run CentOS 5.something to run with IET for iSCSI SAN connectivity. It seems to perform quite well but it acts just like an external hard drive: interrupt the iSCSI connection in any way and ESXi (and the VMs using iSCSI as a datastore) gets very unhappy.

OpenFiler 2.3 iSCSI target VM for my ESX VMs, which are running under Workstation 7. Like buttah.

At work I run CentOS 5.something to run with IET for iSCSI SAN connectivity. It seems to perform quite well but it acts just like an external hard drive: interrupt the iSCSI connection in any way and ESXi (and the VMs using iSCSI as a datastore) gets very unhappy.

Use openfiler instead. It uses the LET and has storage by lun instead of by IQN, and supports multi-target failover as well. Path balancing as well.

OpenFiler 2.3 iSCSI target VM for my ESX VMs, which are running under Workstation 7. Like buttah.

Mind explaining how that is laid out physically? Like what is on what box and how are they connected?

Thanks.

(n00b trying to visualize this setup)

ESX 4 is now supported as a guest OS on Workstation 7 and OpenFiler runs as a VMware applicance so you can run it all on one box really if you wanted. That's my assumption to how he has it setup. I had a setup similar back before it was supported working on Workstation 6. Worked like a champ.

I had 2 ESX machines with two network connections, one for network connectivity and one for the iscsi path. Same for the OpenFiler machine.

Last edited:
Back