What PSU to get

Version_3

2[H]4U
Why not the Corsairs? I'd much rather deal with Corsair than Seasonic.

You can pick up the Corsair 620HX for around $100 AR if you look around. Newegg tends to overprice PSUs.

the seasonic is the best that you listed, but as Silent said, go with Corsair. The HX series is seasonic built, but the customer service between the two is no contest. Seasonic is hard to contact, Corsair is amazing.

If you want modular, the HX520 is I think $90 at buy.com, if you dont care about modular, the VX550 will be more than enough for you.

Actually the PC P&C Silencer 610W is pretty much the same internal wise as the Corsair 620W PSU. So as you can guess, the Seasonic makes the PC P&C Silencer 610W as well. So it's just as good as the Seasonic made PSUs listed so far.

However, it is a bit longer than many power supplies at 7" long. And despite its name, it is a pretty loud PSU due to its 80mm fan.

Thus, I recommend getting a Corsair PSU as well. The Corsair 550VX, 550HX, 650TX, and 620HX are all superbly made and quiet PSUs and you can't go wrong with any of them. Just don't buy them from Newegg. hit up zipzoomfly.com, clubit.com or buy.com for those PSUs.

Oh and don't consider the StealthXStream. It's based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for PSU that can kill your system? So it's really not a good PSU after all.

+1 Corsair (Not only a great PS, great support, but a great stylish handbag included with every unit)

I'm getting sick of newegg anyways... price gouging, crappy shipping (was way better when fed-ex was their exclusive shipper), and their less than spectacular so-called 'deals'.

Club-it was sold out of the corsair hx620 (since I'd rather future proof more than anything) but buy.com, I can get it for 109, which isn't bad. I still don't like mail in rebates... Oh well.

I didn't realize Seasonic made for all those other people, but if corsairs service is good, I'll go with them..

Actually the PC P&C Silencer 610W is pretty much the same internal wise as the Corsair 620W PSU. So as you can guess, the Seasonic makes the PC P&C Silencer 610W as well.

While this is true, keep in mind that there are different designs and specs between us and our competition.

All Corsair power supplies are rated at 50C and use 105C Japanese capacitors, for example. On some of our other units there are more extensive changes.

PC Power & Cooling's Silencer line is rated at 40C, which is fine. They do rate their Turbo-Cools at 50C, though, which is better.

Also, the Silencer line is much quieter than the Turbo-Cool, but neither is as quiet as most of Seasonic's 120mm fan designs, including our Seasonic-built units.

The temperature rating of a PSU is important because it guarantees full power output at that temperature. So, if you had a PSU that was rated at 400W @ 25C, for example, and you put it in your case where the ambient temp is 45C, then your 400W PSU won't be able to output its full 400W. It might drop to as low as 300-350W.

Just a heads up.

Back