What should I upgrade?

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I've been out of the loop for a couple of months and am thinking about upgrading my PC desktop a bit. Mainly the CPU, motherboard, ram and harddrive. I would really love to keep my AGP 6800GT as it is a very able card an it will last me for a long time. It's less than a year old and I would hate to have to get a PCIE only motherboard, rendering my AGP card useless (maybe??)

I heard something about a product from Albatron, the "ATOP"... it lets you run a AGP card on a PCIE motherboard? Are these even available, I haven't seen them on Newegg yet, and a google search didn't turn up many store results.

I'm just looking for any suggestions...

What should I upgrade on my computer, given that I want to keep my AGP video card?

You seem to have a fairly nice setup already, but if I were going to upgrade anything, I'd probably get a faster proc, a DVD burner, more ram, and a large HD for storage. Those are just some thoughts. I'm not sure if you need a storage drive or a DVD burner, but more ram and faster CPU would be nice. Once the holidays pass I'm going to get more ram myself.

One of my main problems is this.....

In order to get a better processor (which is one of the main things I want...) I need to get a new motherboard because all the AMD boards now are S939, and all the good AMD chips are S939 also. Here's where the problems arise, I want to get rid of my VIA board because it's junk, VIA is junk. I want a board with an NVidia chipset on it, one that supports S939 and AGP, and DDR of course and SATA etc etc etc.

It seems that the only boards i can find that have S939 and AGP are VIA chipsets. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate VIA, no PCI or AGP lock means no overclocking on the CPU at all, terrible chipsets and not worth my money haha.

Maybe I'm terribly mistaking? I'm sure tons of [H] users have S939 and are still using their old AGP 6800GTs/x800xts/whatever else. What motherboards are you guys using/would you suggest I buy??

But yeah, I just wanted to add that viewpoint of mine in here, seems relevant.

Well, the MSI boards have the nForce3 chip in them. My board is pretty nice, except for the fact that I magically cannot get USB 2.0 to work. Overall it's pretty nice with overclocking and stability.

As for your upgrade, now that I realize you don't have socket 939, I would upgrade your motherboard and processor together if possible. That will probably give you the most performance gain with what you currently have, and socket 939 will be around for a little while longer, giving you more options for upgrade.

Back