What size stripe?

Computurd

Gawd
I have eight 30GB vertex in RAID 0 on a lsi raid card, I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as stripe size?

You won't find much wisdom yet. Having spent today configuring 2 X25-M 160gig G2 in RAID0 I had the same question and did the search. Conventional internet wisdom, currently, points to 128kb stripe. Support for this is given by numerous benchmarks, IOMeter/Atto/hdtach/etc. On OSX it's far from conclusive as each benchmark (QB/XB/etc.) seems to favor a different stripe size.

In my testing 16kb stripe worked best. Primary usage is development in OSX, many smallish files. What I really want to know is the file size distribution, along with my typical day-to-day access patterns. Best tool I've found so far is JDiskReport for gathering distribution data. Probably have to write my own to get more specific.

What I'm saying is you'll have to test. But even a non-optimal stripe size is wicked fast. :D

Last edited:
Hey Computurd,
A 30% performance increase is really significant.

Can you post the details in your other (LSI) thread, of exactly what changes you had made to achieve this with your config?

Back