What speeds up video encoding?

Daravon

Weaksauce
Faster processsor? More memory? Faster HDD? All of the above?

I notice the taskmanager says my CPU load is 100% when encoding video.

I have a 3700+. So maybe I'll have to try that overclocking stuff if it will actually speed up video encoding.

jcll2002 said:
unless you have conroe ;)

unless it can re-encode a dvd as fast as you can pull the data off the disk its still not enough! :D

If your codec of choice is multithreaded, a dual core chip should give a nice boost in performance.

Daravon said:
I have a 3700+. So maybe I'll have to try that overclocking stuff if it will actually speed up video encoding.

If you don't want to spend any money that's the way to go.

Well I just built the computer, so maybe I should have gone ahead and dropped the big dough on an uber processor. Or, maybe I'll just read a book while encoding video, since I need this computer to be quiet as well.

Primarily CPU, possibly limited by the speed of the ram, or if you're really running low on ram available the quantity could be an issue.

Depending on which formats you are coming from and going to, as well as which program(s) you're using, dual-core CPU's could potentially make a big difference or no difference at all.

I can encode a DVD to Ipod format (MP4) in about 30 mins with the rig in my sig. Going from Divx to DVD usually takes about 1 hour.

Also, ATI has a new software thing coming out soon called Avivo (or something like that, I might be thinking of the name of another ATI tech) that uses your GPU to help with rendering and whatnot, from the demos I have seen the speed boosts you get are incredible.

Back