What SSD are you buying with your SB build ?

glen

Limp Gawd
I've decided that I will buy a SB setup, I'm guessing a month after they start selling them again so probably May/June..

Anyway I've got a OCZ Vertex2 (with the 34nm ram) now but that will be going to the kid along with most everything else in my sig.

I am very happy with the Vertex 2, but obviously I won't buy another due to the whole changing the model without telling anyone issue.

So what is the SSD you recommend? I only need about 25GB but understand it is better to buy at least double (50GB.)

The only Intel I see for my requirements is the 80GB X-25M, it costs $80 more than I paid for the Vertex2, I'm willing to spend that if it will perform as well for my needs and has a longer lifespan/reliability.

Basically this is just an OS drive, no large file transfers or unusual requirments other than I'd like to get several years out of it.

I'd like to second the request for opinions on what drives are recommended.
Some points I would like to add for point of discussion would be:
Is RAIDing 2 cheaper drives worth the head ache, or best to go for one more expensive drive?
Should we wait to see what Intel, being the market leader, is about to release?
Are there any brands that are finally distancing themselves from the heard as far as price/performance/reliability, or is it still a cluster%$uck?

As far as I know Intel already made their "release" and I think it was just two big drives, nothing to be used a a practical OS drive.

Mushkin make drives similar to the Vertex and seem to have a good ratings. I know their memory is excellent. It is about all I use. OWC is another drive that has good ratings. I currently have a OCZ Vertex LE and a Intel G2, and in real life daily use I can't tell the difference, so Intel would be a consideration. From my looking Intel still appears to be the leader when reliability is the main factor.

I ordered a Mushkin last week instead of an OCZ.

Last edited:
Intel G3's and Crucial C400 are looking to be promising. Intel for reliability, of course, and C400 for performance. No solid numbers or reviews yet...only press releases and CES demos.

Back