what technique do you use for thermal paste

well i was wondering what you guys do when you apply your thermal paste. i saw this a long time ago and it seemed that rubbing it into your heatsink, whiping it off, then putty a pea size dot of AS5 on a core size of a p4 or A64 cooled better almost %100 percent of the time then applying a thin layer. what your experiences?

read the directions per the AS5 website, your not sposed to spread a thin layer my friend, a dot is correct.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Last batch of Artic Siver I bought was version (?) 3. One thing I caught having just now revisited the instructions is they used to say DON'T twist the heatsink after putting it on the chip...now they they say DO twist it a little. Makes me feel a little better because I could never get the sink on WITHOUT twisting it a little.

I sent Arctic Silver an email about a year ago when AS5 was fairly new asking them about "tinting" the heatsink with AS5. That's where you rub a light layer into the heatsink and then wipe it off using a cloth without any solvents to help prep the heatsink.

Their response was that since AS5 is extremely sticky it makes it hard to tint and was not really necessary. The person that responded to my email said he still tinted using AS5 anyway, and that it certainly wouldn't hurt :)

Main Target said:
read the directions per the AS5 website, your not sposed to spread a thin layer my friend, a dot is correct.
.....um
as2spread.jpg

You spread a thin layer on bare CPU cores. On CPUs with a heatspreader, placing a small dab in the center and allowing the pressure of the heatsink to spread it is the preferred method.

^^^^ correct, who doesnt have a P4 or a a 64 here nowadays? lol srry, yeah bare cores get spreaded

I apply a bead the size of a grain of rice to the core and then gently twist the mounted heat sink to flatten and spread it out.

I use an old credit card as a tool, put on a dab the size of a grain of uncooked rice, and thus spread a very thin layer over the entire core / heatspreader. You can get it very even this way. Also I do it BEFORE I install the CPU in the socket. Much much easier that way.

For P4 processor I did the AS5 dot method and it worked like a charm. No fancy credit cards or blades. :)

On cores I just put a ricegrain/bb and spread it out with a card, on things with hs, size of a bb/rice grain and put the hsf on and move it around just a little...

I use tinting on my exposed core CPUs and a dot on my CPUs with heatspreaders. Then again, I also plow thru thermalpaste like a frigin thermalpaste-fiend. I'm pretty sure my credit card company thinks I have a problem with addiction and will probably get me admitted to the betty ford clinic.

Oh well....as long as they are paying for it.

I've tried both methods and there's sod all difference in temps (possibly 1 degree celsius at most) so I'd go with whatever you feel comfortable doing personally. I love making a perfectly flat and extremely thin film of it on my IHS, other people like pressing down on their grains of rice and twisting. Take your pick and just do it because you'll know all about it if you cocked up :p

Just wondering, but its okay if you fire up your computer right after you put on thermal paste right?

Keyser0804 said:
Just wondering, but its okay if you fire up your computer right after you put on thermal paste right?

Yes it is ok to fire her up right after application.

I use a razor if im lazy a sandwhich bag.

i also noticed another user do this. applied his first layer, held a lighter close to it so it'll burn in then another thin layer :rolleyes:

small dot here, no twisting (SP-94) - the resulting bond was so strong that I couldn't take off the HS without pulling the CPU with it :D CPU survived, luckily.

This is one of the most important things when it comes to overclocking. Knowing how to apply thermal goo is as overlooked as having a good power supply for a stable system. Follow the Artic Silver technique, after all these guys make this stuff for a living. I was having some problems with my system overheating. At first I thought it was the same glitch mentioned in the Abit forums about the AV8 showing unusually high temps. I took off my heat sink and removed my Athlon 64, wiped off the AC5 I spread over it before with paper towel and rubbing alcohol. I then set the processor back in, put a very small dot on the heat spreader, and reinstalled the HSF. My temps dropped 10 degrees Celsius!! I believe the problem mentioned in the Abit forum was not a BIOS problem, but a combination of poor thermal goo application and a sensitive die monitor meaning the temperatures were accurate!!

i rub the bottom of my heatsink with tooth paste, then wipe all of it off, then rub it with as5, then wipe it off, then put a little bit on the cpu and smear it around evenly, then put the heatsink on.

it has always worked well for me.

P4 and A64 w/ heatspreaders, small dot in middle, and squish. Exposed core, thin layer. *closes book*

quaz, not true, the problem with the AV8 reporting wrong temps is widespread, i ahve reapplied my as5 3-4 times going by the directions of AS5 and i have not seen any change in temps. ABIT infact has a bug either in the bios or hardware.

Back