What temps are you getting with the Scythe Ninja?

dtess17

2[H]4U
i'm just wondering what temps other people are getting with this heatsink.

At stock settings for my Opty 170 these are my average temps, sometime a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower.

IDLE = 32C
LOAD = 43C

i will add overlclocked results later, as i am re testing.

Loading is dual p95 small fft.

With an Opteron 165 at stock and a Scythe with a very slow 120MM fan I get 21C or room temperature as it is better known. :eek:

dchrsf said:
..and HS cooling method (ie. psv/120mm/RPMs) and case fan setup

i have a scythe s flex fan on it, then all the other fans of the p180 in their normal airflow.

room temp is about 21C ( 70F)

with a opty 170 o/ced to 2.6ghz i got about 51-53c load with my ninja. about 72-74f ambient room temps. using a coolermaster 120x25mm fan(the quiet ones)
watercooling now...

my proc doesn't go beyond 32C load, 27-28C idle. then again it's at stock :)

Haste266 said:
with a opty 170 o/ced to 2.6ghz i got about 51-53c load with my ninja. about 72-74f ambient room temps. using a coolermaster 120x25mm fan(the quiet ones)
watercooling now...

seems like we got pretty similar results. I'm looking to make the move to water cooling too i think, i think the temps get a little too high once i start adding volts.

on another note, how do you like that mobo, i'm thinking of getting on to replace the premium

dtess17 said:
seems like we got pretty similar results. I'm looking to make the move to water cooling too i think, i think the temps get a little too high once i start adding volts.

on another note, how do you like that mobo, i'm thinking of getting on to replace the premium
i also got the same temps with a zalman 9500...

the motherboard is ok. good for watercooling not good for dual slot coolers.
its good to have a crossflow fan blowing on the mobo to help cool the chipset down a little too
other than the slight heat problems with it, i like the board a lot. rock solid.

hmm something to keep in mind, i think i'm going to be upgrading my board, and myabe getting a WC set too.

Just started overclocking my Opty 165. Currently at 2.4ghz at 1.4v. Getting about 22* idle, 38* load. I'm using one of the Antec Tricool fans, at the lowest setting I get 38*, at the medium setting I get 38*, at the highest setting I get 37*.

At 2.2ghz, I was getting 34* full load on medium fan setting.

At the lowest setting, the fan is inaudible, and only cost 1* of performance. Excellent trade off in my opinion, especially when medium offers no better performance, although this might change once I get into higher overclocks..

Once I let the processor burn in overnight, I'll be shooting for a more ambitious overclock. I'll post back with results.

Ambient temp is 74f*

Time2Kill said:
Just started overclocking my Opty 165. Currently at 2.4ghz at 1.4v. Getting about 22* idle, 38* load. I'm using one of the Antec Tricool fans, at the lowest setting I get 38*, at the medium setting I get 38*, at the highest setting I get 37*.

At 2.2ghz, I was getting 34* full load on medium fan setting.

At the lowest setting, the fan is inaudible, and only cost 1* of performance. Excellent trade off in my opinion, especially when medium offers no better performance, although this might change once I get into higher overclocks..

Once I let the processor burn in overnight, I'll be shooting for a more ambitious overclock. I'll post back with results.

Ambient temp is 74f*
you got a bad temp sensor...or you are not using air cooling.
If your idle is 22C and your ambient is 74F then you are getting lower than ambient temps at idle...highly unlikely.

dtess17 said:
you got a bad temp sensor...or you are not using air cooling.
If your idle is 22C and your ambient is 74F then you are getting lower than ambient temps at idle...highly unlikely.

My bad, I just doubled checked, idle is bouncing between 25/26* at 2.6ghz

I'm now bouncing between 38/39* at [email protected]

Can't get into windows yet at 2.7ghz

i think the mobo people are using is important here. Mobo temp sensors are all different from different brands, not to mention different bioses within those brands. For instance, with my Scythe on an Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe with an opty 165 I was getting 40c idle and 45c load. then I updated the bios and now I'm getting 35c idle and 40c load. Those temps are high - but the A8N32 is notorious for giving high temps, so its hard to know what to believe.

Time2Kill said:
My bad, I just doubled checked, idle is bouncing between 25/26* at 2.6ghz

I'm now bouncing between 38/39* at [email protected]

Can't get into windows yet at 2.7ghz
if you are getting idle of 25-26 then you are only have a 3-6F delta at idle.

this is what i mentioned in another thread. Didn't notice this one. WIth only two low cfm fans on my ninja in a push pull config, my temps hit 57C with a dual instance of prime95. Idle stays at around 44-46C. This is with an o/ced 2.6ghz opty 165 @ 1.4v (stupid mobo voltage regulation makes 1.4v more like 1.47v and then it goes to 1.42 under load). With 3 fans on, the third being the tricool on low, the temps are about 4 degrees lower for both the idle and load temps - 40 idle/53load...

My next project is water cooling when I get the chance. Overall I expected more from the ninja but considering the setup is extremely quiet and the ninja is the best of the rest, I'm satisfied.

computergeek22 said:
this is what i mentioned in another thread. Didn't notice this one. WIth only two low cfm fans on my ninja in a push pull config, my temps hit 57C with a dual instance of prime95. Idle stays at around 44-46C. This is with an o/ced 2.6ghz opty 165 @ 1.4v (stupid mobo voltage regulation makes 1.4v more like 1.47v and then it goes to 1.42 under load). With 3 fans on, the third being the tricool on low, the temps are about 4 degrees lower for both the idle and load temps - 40 idle/53load...

My next project is water cooling when I get the chance. Overall I expected more from the ninja but considering the setup is extremely quiet and the ninja is the best of the rest, I'm satisfied.

might try to reseat...those temps seem rather high

I'll try reseating it. I'm not sure however because my room stays pretty warm. My room temp itself is around 26-27C. I've not checked inside my case but it's probably around 30-35C inside. In addition my case is surrounded on three sides by two of my desks...

Also I'm never too sure how much is enough AS5 and how much isn't. I know the grain of rice stuff but I always think I put too little and when I add some more it's too much... I'll try going more conservative with the As5. Also is it suggested to apply pressure because arctic silver merely recommend twisting the heatsink a degree clockwise and counterclockwise.

*pulls out 1500 grit sand paper and AS5*

oh your room is a fair amount warmer than mine, i didn't think of that. I guess given the higher ambient things are where they should be.

but a reseat usually will not hurt.

Back