What the heck facebook? Account reopened after years of being closed?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
How is it possible for my facebook account to be reactivated after years of being closed? I just received 2 updates from people out of the blue in years since I closed my account. WTF does facebook just keep people account info for kicks after requesting it be deleted? How is this possible?

I had to create a FB account once for the sole purpose of attending a photography competition whereby you were supposed to publish your stuff via FB.

So I restarted my machine, rebooted my router to get a new IP, cleaned stuff with ccleaner.

Then I made a burner e-mail with no ties or hints about myself.
In the Facebook form, I provided as much gibbrish data as I could. Different password, different username. Burner e-mail. Published absolutely nothing.

First login - lo and behold: "people you may know" - a former work colleague from years ago staring at me from the screen.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

So basically when I delete my shit from Facebook, they just say sorry nope?

Think about it.
Would they go through the trouble of also removing your stuff from their backups, considering you're the product?
Are you sure FB itself is the only entity harvesting data from it?

If you have somehow made it this this far without creating a Facebook account, don't start. A lot of people don't realize once you create the account it can never be removed or deleted, only disabled. Anything ever input to Facebook is forever there property. I feel like a day will come when an entity comes into ownership of Facebook with very ill intentions. Maybe we'll get lucky and something else will come along and Facebook will die like Myspace.

I had to create a FB account once for the sole purpose of attending a photography competition whereby you were supposed to publish your stuff via FB.

So I restarted my machine, rebooted my router to get a new IP, cleaned stuff with ccleaner.

Then I made a burner e-mail with no ties or hints about myself.
In the Facebook form, I provided as much gibbrish data as I could. Different password, different username. Burner e-mail. Published absolutely nothing.

First login - lo and behold: "people you may know" - a former work colleague from years ago staring at me from the screen.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I'd guess that person searched for your name.

If you have somehow made it this this far without creating a Facebook account, don't start. A lot of people don't realize once you create the account it can never be removed or deleted, only disabled. Anything ever input to Facebook is forever there property. I feel like a day will come when an entity comes into ownership of Facebook with very ill intentions. Maybe we'll get lucky and something else will come along and Facebook will die like Myspace.

hope so. But who knows what comes after that...freedom and privacy ? I seriously doubt it.
Wondering what can be worth a dime on all that BS that most people post in FB anyways.:confused:

Back