what the Heck is up with increase price for the X2 3800

I been watching the price on these AMD X2 chips for awhile and the 3800+ was at $153 just last week a few days ago it was at 165 and today its 175

on the other hand the X2 4800 was 307, then 301, 297, 291, 287, 285 and now 282.

why is the lowest chip increasing price and the faster chip decreasing?

are they running low on 3800s or what?

damn...got mine just in time. Paid $152 for it :D

For once I bought something right! :D :D (and it oc's to 2.7ghz on 1.4v ;) )

nst6563 said:
damn...got mine just in time. Paid $152 for it :D

For once I bought something right! :D :D (and it oc's to 2.7ghz on 1.4v ;) )

whhhhhat you lucky peice of SH!T!!! hahaha dude i was going to buy the 4400+ (89w) right now open box for 206.00 but someone just beat me to it. are you on stock cooling? what kinda cooling are you using to hit 2.7! thats awesome. so now im going to have to decide to get the

4800+ for 282.00
or...
4400+ (89w) for 249.00

which would you guys get?

i don't think there is a law against computer component price increases. If you don't like it, don't pay it or look at another retailer.

drizzt81 said:
i don't think there is a law against computer component price increases. If you don't like it, don't pay it or look at another retailer.

no shh!t captain obvious. i never said there was a law. i just said what is up with the price increase are they running low on 3800's? If you dont like my post you can go read another thread.

killingfield1975 said:
no shh!t captain obvious. i never said there was a law. i just said what is up with the price increase are they running low on 3800's? If you dont like my post you can go read another thread.

Killingfield1975 - 1
drizzt81 - 0

Pwned.

it's probably just a price increase because of low stock. Newegg does it all the time.

I think it because of a Run on the 3800, when the price dropped AMD sold a Shit Load of 3800's and you know how it go's when they sell good its time to Jack The Price lol a simple case of Supply and Demand ;)

but for what they want for 3800"s i would grab a 4200 myself.

killingfield1975 said:
I suggest you look at a different site:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735
$154 + s/h

oh nevermind, you are looking at s939 options. Most likely people are buying it b/c it was cheap and did not involve an upgrade. With higher demand, it is likely that the price will increase. You should talk to some distributors to see their inventory, I am sure that they can help you out.

also, skt 939 is nearing it's EOL:
http://hardware.gamershell.com/news/amds_socket_939_and_754_end-of-life_dates/

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3235

a look here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html?redir=CPPR01 would have answered that question too, as it indicated that there is no more price on the X2-3800+ for skt 939.

Did you all notice that Newegg now has the 65w Brisbane cores in stock for about 10 bucks more than the regular X2 cores?

Debating on getting a 65watt X2 3800 now, or get a cheap Orleans 3500 to tide me over for a month and then get a 65 nm core in October. I wonder how much those will cost?

MassiveOverkill said:
Did you all notice that Newegg now has the 65w Brisbane cores in stock for about 10 bucks more than the regular X2 cores?

Debating on getting a 65watt X2 3800 now, or get a cheap Orleans 3500 to tide me over for a month and then get a 65 nm core in October. I wonder how much those will cost?

personally, i'd go with the 65w X2 if i were in the market right now.

MassiveOverkill said:

yeah i did notice this but i cant go with am2 socket since my mobo is 939 and my ram is ddr400 yeah i know it sucks but i just dont want to spend anymore money. so i have no choice but to get a sockey 939 x2

drizzt81 said:
I suggest you look at a different site:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735
$154 + s/h

oh nevermind, you are looking at s939 options. Most likely people are buying it b/c it was cheap and did not involve an upgrade. With higher demand, it is likely that the price will increase. You should talk to some distributors to see their inventory, I am sure that they can help you out.

also, skt 939 is nearing it's EOL:
http://hardware.gamershell.com/news/amds_socket_939_and_754_end-of-life_dates/

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3235

a look here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html?redir=CPPR01 would have answered that question too, as it indicated that there is no more price on the X2-3800+ for skt 939.

yeah i would figure they were ending the life of the 939 so shouldnt price just decrease? i mean a year from now thsoe chips will be useless (dont take this literally). and it totally sucks knowing ill be spending money on a chip that is hangin by its life thread. oh well it happens.

MassiveOverkill said:

Did I miss something? AMD 65nm next month? I don't think so.

MassiveOverkill said:
Holy CRAP!! Brisbane is the 65nm chip!!! It's probably marked wrong in Newegg's site.
yeah, it's really the low wattage 90nm ;)

sup mwarps, enjoying the cloudy evening? :p

MassiveOverkill said:
OK, you find me documentation that Brisbane is 90nm and I'll agree. It's only 2 weeks early.
i meant the chip is really windsor, mislabeled :p

killingfield1975 said:
whhhhhat you lucky peice of SH!T!!! hahaha dude i was going to buy the 4400+ (89w) right now open box for 206.00 but someone just beat me to it. are you on stock cooling? what kinda cooling are you using to hit 2.7! thats awesome. so now im going to have to decide to get the

4800+ for 282.00
or...
4400+ (89w) for 249.00

which would you guys get?

not stock cooling. Using an XP-90 with a decent fan (ie, not wimpy but not obnoxiously loud either). It'll post at 3.1Ghz in my DFI Ultra-D board, but it won't run any faster than 2.7 in either the DFI Ultra-D or the A8N32 I have. I think maybe the mem controller hit a ceiling there between 2.7ghz and 2.8ghz.

I bit. Bought a 4200+ locally for ~210 US. LDBHE 0602 XPMW. Old stock probably. Will be installing it later today.

killingfield1975 said:
yeah i would figure they were ending the life of the 939 so shouldnt price just decrease? i mean a year from now thsoe chips will be useless (dont take this literally). and it totally sucks knowing ill be spending money on a chip that is hangin by its life thread. oh well it happens.
One could imagine that EOL chips would sell for less, however I imagine that there are still a lot of skt 939 systems out there with owners seeing the 3800+ as a cheap dual-core upgrade for their systems.
If end-of-life means that they cannot be ordered anymore, suppliers are going to know how much future product they will get. If the current demand exceeds that future supply, they are likely to increase prices.

Darn supply and demand. I dunno but it seems that everything is going up in price a bit especially for CPUs and RAM. :( :mad: :confused:

drizzt81 said:
One could imagine that EOL chips would sell for less, however I imagine that there are still a lot of skt 939 systems out there with owners seeing the 3800+ as a cheap dual-core upgrade for their systems.
If end-of-life means that they cannot be ordered anymore, suppliers are going to know how much future product they will get. If the current demand exceeds that future supply, they are likely to increase prices.
I assume production on these has either slowed or stopped, and they are selling mainly existing inventory.

The price dipped lower because of conroe.

What's all the fuss about? NewEgg has the standard 3800 X2 Retail for $153.99.

You can buy the 3800 x2 manchester dual core for like 175 right now. A couple weeks ago they were around 152 when I was thinking about buying it. Now all of a sudden, the 4200 manchester x2 dual cores are only 187. So for 12 bux more you can get the 4200.

Here's what I think:
I think they knew about all the smart folks out there who would say "hey it's only 12 bux more for that one!" and buy the 4200. I think they are just trying to sell off all these 4200s. The 3800 manchester x2 IS a great cheap upgrade even at 175. So i would still buy it if I were in the market right now. As it is, I would choose the 4200 over it though at the current prices.

Just buy the 4200.

As for any other possible reasons for the price increase..... well some folks mentioned that newegg does it all the time because of low supply. However, the prices on this processor has gone up at all online retailers so it's not newegg's fault.

Also if you go to

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/amdb2spromo.hmx?

You can see at the bottom of the page, they have listed the 3800 x2 for 147 but if you click on it it says "no information available". hehe...

I saw someone over at XS post a link to monarch for a 165 opty for $149. I week price drops. I think that the 170 was less than $200. Never seen them that low.

4X4N said:
I saw someone over at XS post a link to monarch for a 165 opty for $149. I week price drops. I think that the 170 was less than $200. Never seen them that low.

damn...I prolly would have went with a 165 over my x2 given that price ...if it was like that last week. :mad:

yup, 165 optie at monarch is goin for 150$, hope they overclock decently. g/l for those that didnt jump the gun on the x2 3800 deals when the price drops happen.

Back