What to do. Prebuilt or wait

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Back in 2017 we lost everything due to x2 layoffs and I was able with a friend's help get a PC again which I'm thankful for but I would like something newer at taxes but holy smokes ram and gpu prices are hurting any build for me.

My current PC is: 8350, 7970, sabertooth 990fx 2.0, 8gb skill 1600, Intel 120gb SSD, we green 500gb, CM masterbox lite 5 case, lepa tower cpu cooler, Corsair 750w tx.

I don't really dabble in overclocking. I just love to Game so I like to start a game, set my settings and play.

I've tried to put a Ryzen 1600x build together on newegg and it comes to 906.00 and a Ryzen 1700x comes to about 1030.

But this is without a gpu which is another 500-1000.

I can only spend about 1100-1200 at taxes.

Are there any goo

Honestly while the ryzen will be a gargantuan upgrade specially if you don't overclock, I would for sure wait. your machine it's still a perfectly capable 1080P gaming rig, not the best and won't run certain tittles at ultra high settings, but for sure it's capable.

I know you said no overclock but I really encourage you to at least a mild overclock on the CPU, nothing record breaking and nothing extremely hard to achieve, aim for some 4.5-4.6ghz and it will bring some fresh air to your overall gaming experience, specially if you are able to overclock the RAM. You can get help here from guys to make the CPU overclocking process easy for you.

The same can be said about the GPU. It is even easier than overclock the CPU and depending on your model of GPU (vanilla 7970 or ghz edition) it can be a big jump in performance, anywhere from 1150 to 1200mhz can make the 7970 a quite capable 1080P gaming card.

I priced out a Alienware Aurora:

i5 8400
16GB 2666
256GB M.2 PCIe SSD
2x 1080Tis

Came out to 2270 which is almost exactly what it would cost if I built it off Newegg with MSRP videocards.

Use TENOFF for 10% discount.

Seriously considering a 8400 with 8GB, 2x 1080Ti and a 1TB spindle for 2072 for mining.

To answer your question though the cheapest custom builders are cyber power PC or Dell and Dell has the better buy right now.

You can get a damn good PC for the same MSRP prices as if you configured through NewEgg.

I think Dell can only do this because of sheer volume.

Last edited:
Pre builts will very likely be cheaper due to GPU pricing and overall the new Dells are actually well built. My new workstation at work came with a 80+ gold PSU and it seems Dell isn't filling all ram slots like they used to (I opened it to add more ram).

Only downside GPU wise is that they will absolutely be founders edition blower cards rather than some fancy EVGA triple fan quadruple acronym GPU

Back