What TV to get under $1000 for a monitor?

plasma

Gawd
What TV should I get under $1000? I would like something 50-60".

I will use it as a monitor playing games as well as watch some tv and movies. I would like something that has low input lag times.

Few options I have been looking at are

Sony KDL50R550A

Sony KDL-50W800B

There are a few Vizio's I was looking at that got good reviews but I'm not sure about Vizio quality?

I was going to look at what Sharp and Samsung have

What are my best options for under $1000

"As monitor" - if that means not just "input from PC", but also monitor like distances till screen, then 4K. From 4K TVs of that size for usage as monitor - Panasonic's TC-50AX800U, as having also Display Port, required for 60Hz@UHD with current videocards. Other UHD TVs that can output 60Hz@4K have HDMI 2.0 that none of gpus as of now support. Mentioned Panasonic's one doesn't fit under $1K though.

Thanks. I plan to use as a monitor from TV distances on the couch. I'd like to play some games and watch content from the pc.

If from TV distances, then choice is much much wider, and many are below $1K. As i was more interested in big size AND resolution (it was intended for role of "next monitor") so i dug more information about 4K ones, so cannot advise on which FHD TVs are best fit usage as PC display.

I was also looking at some Sharp models LC-60LE632U and the 55" without 3D. Should I even care about 3D? It looks like there isn't all that much content and I've noticed people say it's not even worth it etc..?

I did read Sharps have a gaming mode (Vyper drive) but on the input lag database they don't list that one but other Sharp models show about 60ms and say Bad under rating. I was also looking at some Samung's but again it looks like they have mediocre input lag.

I'm wondering about Sony vs Sharp vs Samsung vs Vizio as far as value and quality go:confused:

Vizio 55" LED 240hz Smart 3D TV. $794 FREE SHIPPING! INCLUDES 4 PAIRS OF 3D GLASSES! $794

from the reviews I have read! This TV actually has better colors than most plasmas. the only PLASMA to outperform this Tv in picture quality is a Panasonic model, but it COST $1800

So, as you can see. I did hours and hours of research. And I just could not find a BETTER TV OR A BETTER DEAL THAN THIS VIZEO M series TV! Plus, it is only 1.7" THICK!

I just bought mine a month ago from newegg for $794 shipped.

best TV for the money! I googled a million or so reviews before I bought it.

The is the best TV I have ever had. It is Vizio's higher class a "M" series class.

most Vizio Tv's you find at Walmart are the E series. The M series is a MUCH better professional style TV. With a great picture.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889262323

HERE IS MINE Vizio, M551D-A2 , 55" / 3D / 240hz /Smart LED TV,

The biggest thing I noticed about this TV. Was quality. It is razor thin, and built very well! A full metal stand. No wobbling and it turns left to right. X4 HDMI's, Also, the remote is proubly the nicest remote I have ever used. It felt as if it weighs about 2 pounds without batteries in it. it illuminates every button. This is a very high quality remote.

I had a Samsung 55" smart TV I bought before this one. And I returned it. it was $999 new. Picture quality was just ok.. And the remote did not light up, and was very cheap at best! plastic stand, and a very thick thick bezel, and 4.5" thick at the thinnest point. So, it was a Samsung, and it was a piece of JUNK! And it wasn't even 3d.

I did not care very much about 3D before I bought this TV. I was about like this. "ok whatever it is 3D" Leave it or take it. UP until I used IT!! AMAZING! Sometimes it will actually scare you. and make you fear the next 3D scene. it feels as if something is going to actually hit you. I am very happy with this TV. And the picture is JUST AMAZING! EDGE lit display. Very small bezel, and only 1.7' thick. Plus, it is very fast when your going through the menus on the smart menu. The Samsung would lock up, or HANG like a computer that is overheating or ran out of memory. The Samsun was just a shitty TV. And The VIZIO M series has just changed my outlook completely on TV's. And I am just glad and thankful I did my research. Because, it is physically IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A BETTER TV for $1,000. And definitely not under $800. Well this one is under $800. Your search is over.

OH AND! that is standard definition in the picture took with a cell phone. And burning sunlight right behind the TV! lol. I just took the pic. I can start a 1080P blu ray, and take a PIC if you want to see. Just let me know. And good luck!

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot to mention! I use this with my gaming/ workstation PC in the living room.
And it is proubly the best tv I have ever used with a PC. Idk what it is. Most TV's that are very big look strange hooked up to a TV, sometimes just to intense! And edge looking.

This TV seems more like a monitor! It kills my viewsonic 20.1" monitor in display quality, and sharpness.

If you are going to be using this as a monitor, and a TV. You really want this Vizio. Im a PC enthusiast, and a google hardware review MASTER! I do my research. And a lot of it.And you simply cannot beat the Price. And the quality of this Vizio M TV.

I play Arma 3 on PC maxed out, and on this TV it is just AWESOME! lol

Any other recommendations? Im going to try to go see the vizio somewhere in person but it looks like it has good reviews for what it is I'll end up getting that unless there's something better for not much more

I can vouch for the vizios too. Just be informed that they are currently in transition from 2013 models to 2014 models. 2013 versions have an "A" after the dash in the model number, and 2014 versions have a "B" after the dash. 2013 models are all edge lit and most exhibit typical edge lit issues like sub-ideal contrast and light bleed, unless you use the smart dimming feature. It works well, but is aggressive. I have an M47i-A2. Overall its great, but the smart dimming is kind of annoying. I might be returning it for a 2014 model. On the plus side, 2013 models have excellent iput lag, and would be great for gaming or computer use.

2014 models are all full array with local dimming and so far have gotten stellar reviews. The jury is still out on input lag though, so you may want to try before you buy.

Overall though, both the 2013 and 2014 models are phenomenal sets for the price.

I can't seem to find a Vizio M55 in person to see and would really like to.

I did see a Samsung UN 55F6350 display model at BJs for $660 maybe I should just go get that seems like a good deal? I think that's 240hz couldn't find much on input lag times but I noticed it does have a game mode.

Honestly, I would spend that 1000 bucks on a 4k monitor thats like 27+ inches. Much MUCH better for gaming. You're looking at like a 30 ms input lag time for TV gaming unless its plasma.

50 inch seiki. 4k (only 30hz but its ok for desktop/vide) and 1080p@120Hz with 1 frame of input lag. Can be had as cheap as $600.

I need and want a TV not a monitor looking for 50-60". Dont really want that seiki gets bad reviews.

Vizio Sony Samsung or something else?

I'd second looking at a Seiki (try to find one in person if you can). Extremely low input lag, 1080p@120Hz support and a competitive price point sold me on mine.

Vizio M series is pretty gamer friendly in my experience. I haven't tested the newer large models, so check them out first, but last years series even overclocked to 120Hz over HDMI. No one really bothered with it for some reason maybe they were skipping frames IDK.

http://store.vizio.com/m602ib3.html

I'll be getting this when it pops up on Amazon. Seems like an absolute monster deal at ~$1100 for a 60" Smart LED, and Vizio gets such great reviews.

Quoting from user "Canaria" at AVSforum on 5/29/14:
"I have been using AVS and it's knowledgable members as my go to source for all thing A/V for several years. I decided to join today and add my perspective on the new Vizio M602i-B3 (purchased 5/27 @ Costco in Phx,AZ)

The picture is excellent on the M602i, I have absolutely no blooming and great screen uniformity. It's clean and crisp, the blacks look black and the whites look white. I was blown away watching Pacific Rim last night on HBO. And the remote actually works and doesn't have to be pointed right at the set. I can't comment on the "smart" part, as I don't even have it connected.

Once dialed in(WOW Disc), it accomplishes everything my 2013 80" M801D-A3R struggles with. I have yet to find something that drives me nuts (input lag is worse than the M801D). I like many here was holding out for the P series, I'm not anymore. The price point is great and it's going to allow some people that could not otherwise afford a quality display a viable choice."

Last edited:
I've seen some people saying Costco has them I want to see one. The m602i is full array which sounds good but no 3d. Looks like vizio got rid of 3d on everything for 2014? 3d isn't critical but would be nice to have and I've seen articles about how its dieing out though. I'm wondering if I should go for the 2013 that's edgelit with 3d or 2014 that's full array with no 3d?

I am returning the M551D-A2 this afternoon. It's edge lit and I have dinner plate sized white splotches in all 4 corners. Going to then head over to Costco and get the M602I-B3 with full array back light. Instant Costco rebate (through 6/20) brings it in at $1099+$55 Costco membership+Tax. Still a good deal as it includes 2 year warranty. http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m602ib3.html

Last edited:
I am returning the M551D-A2 this afternoon. It's edge lit and I have dinner plate sized white splotches in all 4 corners. Going to then head over to Costco and get the M602I-B3 with full array back light. Instant Costco rebate (through 6/20) brings it in at $1099+$55 Costco membership+Tax. Still a good deal as it includes 2 year warranty. http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m602ib3.html

Do please share with us your thoughts on it after you have used it for a bit. The Vizio's are looking really appealing this year for anyone who doesn't want to spend $3k+ for the "best" picture from Samsung or one of the others.

Do please share with us your thoughts on it after you have used it for a bit. The Vizio's are looking really appealing this year for anyone who doesn't want to spend $3k+ for the "best" picture from Samsung or one of the others.

Will do. I hope to be picking up a WOW disk this weekend. Wolfenstein: The New Order looks amazing on my Xone. No obvious clouding out of the box like the one I returned. It may have been defective?

The remote is not back lit, but the QWERTY keyboard on the reverse is. Never had a remote with a KB. It's pretty cool.

Personally for me, I'd rather give up 3D and go for full back lit array.

I like that the Costco Concierge is there. Called up to find what number to record in the brochure they give you and found out it does indeed have one power button on the back. The fact it includes a 2 year warranty is a plus. The store is a little over 15 miles from me so I don't see me shopping there a lot. So in my mind the $55 membership is what the warranty cost.

Projector IMO

I purchased a Benq 1080st and have a 12ft image projected on the wall from ~8ft away on the coffee table. If you can make your room dark and do most of your watching at night... amazing.

Back