What type of DDR3 RAM does a P55 mb use?

Slider19

Gawd
Last time I upgraded, DDR2 was the only thing out there. What do I need to know about DDR3? The dual vs. triple channel is confusing me a little right now.

Thanks

Anyone? What are the speeds I should get for DDR3 to be used on a socket 1156 mb?

Tri-Channel DDR3 RAM for Core i7
Dual-Channel DDR3 RAM for Core i5

Speed wise, DDR3 1600 RAM seems to be one of the better bang for the buck RAM speeds out there. However DDR3 1333 is also a good choice if it's significantly cheaper.

But I thought all the socket 1156 CPUs were dual channel, including the i7 860? And how di I know if a RAM is dual or tri channel?

But I thought all the socket 1156 CPUs were dual channel, including the i7 860? And how di I know if a RAM is dual or tri channel?

It's the motherboard/processor that determines how many channels are supported. Manufacturers just package two or three sticks together and call it a X channel kit. The modules themselves are no different from the ones sold individually.

It's the motherboard/processor that determines how many channels are supported. Manufacturers just package two or three sticks together and call it a X channel kit. The modules themselves are no different from the ones sold individually.

Got it. I didn't realize that.

Since I have a dual channel system, I would have to get 8GBs and fill out all the slots to get dual channel, correct? Unless, I went with 4GB of course, but that seems low.

Any recommendations there?

Yes. In order to run your RAM in dual channel, you would need for the number of sticks to be a multiple of two. Your options are 2x1GB, 2x2GB, and 2x4GB. This 4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 kit is a good place to start and runs at a low voltage (1.5v). 8GB will be considerably more expensive around $240 with something like this Corsair kit. If you really need 8GB, I would probably just purchase two of those 4GB G.Skill kits that I linked you to.

Yes. In order to run your RAM in dual channel, you would need for the number of sticks to be a multiple of two. Your options are 2x1GB, 2x2GB, and 2x4GB. This 4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 kit is a good place to start and runs at a low voltage (1.5v). 8GB will be considerably more expensive around $240 with something like this Corsair kit. If you really need 8GB, I would probably just purchase two of those 4GB G.Skill kits that I linked you to.

He could also do 2x2GB and 2x1GB for 6GB and still keep dual channel.

True, but it is preferable that all of the sticks be of the same capacity.

why? as long as they're the same speed, timing, and voltage, He can get more than 4GB of ram and save a penny or two by not going all the way to 8GB.

P55 uses Dual Channel DDR3 ram. So buy your memory sticks in pairs.

If you're using 32 bit windows, 4GB is all you need. If you're using 64 bit windows, then your PC will be able to take advantage of extra memory and you can go up to 8GB.

Just to confirm, I can do 6GB with 2x2GB and 2x1GB and still get dual channel?

Thanks

Just to confirm, I can do 6GB with 2x2GB and 2x1GB and still get dual channel?

Thanks

just make sure you match the channels up. You don't want 2x2GB in one channel and 2x1GB in the other. It has to be 2GB + 1GB in each channel.

You could, but that's kind of ghetto. Might as well go with just 4GB to start and max out to the 8 GB later if you decide you need more RAM. Think of it this way, if you ever decide you want 8 GB instead of 6 GB with a 2+1 setup you'll have to throw away two perfectly good 1GB sticks. Whereas if you go with 2x2 for now and decide you need more memory later, you can just buy 2 more 2 gig sticks and not waste any ram/money.

You could, but that's kind of ghetto. Might as well go with just 4GB to start and max out to the 8 GB later if you decide you need more RAM. Think of it this way, if you ever decide you want 8 GB instead of 6 GB with a 2+1 setup you'll have to throw away two perfectly good 1GB sticks. Whereas if you go with 2x2 for now and decide you need more memory later, you can just buy 2 more 2 gig sticks and not waste any ram/money.

+1, go with 4GB and if you feel limited by your ram, buy another 4gb kit.

Ahh, thanks for this info, never knew this. Thought they were different in some way.

Tri-Channel DDR3 RAM for Core i7 X58
Dual-Channel DDR3 RAM for Core i5/i7 P55

Speed wise, DDR3 1600 RAM seems to be one of the better bang for the buck RAM speeds out there. However DDR3 1333 is also a good choice if it's significantly cheaper.

Fixt

Ahh, thanks for this info, never knew this. Thought they were different in some way.

No kidding, so did I. So instead of a 3x2GB kit I could just buy 3 of the same model 2GB stick and get the same results? Excellent, build new computer and get 6 of the 4GB sticks, max out the board! :p

Only think to make sure with the Intel systems is you need the low voltage ram (1.65v MAX) where as on the AMD setups you can run the high voltage ram, so just keep an eye out for that.

Back