What type of intel is this???

CBlakeNS

Gawd
Here we go....

my.php

dscf00060qe.jpg

dscf00078ud.jpg

jeez man! Unstick that CPU from the HSF. Then we can help you. But just from that HSF, I would say a socket 423 P4.

meaning 1.5ghz haha those where the only 423's made i belive and if im not mistaken they have 256k cache total

Stick that CPU in the freezer for a bit and it should come off. I was like super scared one time when I tried to take off my P4's heatsink and the CPU ripped out with it. I was like WTF?!?!?! how am I supposed to put it back in now. I was stupid and got a flathead and tried to pry it off, thank god it did come off without breaking anything but try the freezer trick.

It looks like a piece of clear tape was put over it.

That also looks like the old HSF from my P41.6A. Yes it could be a socket 478 too.

:)

Thanks guys, I got the thing for free.... seems like not to bad of a computer, might swith it with the one I got :)

CBlakeNS said:
Thanks guys, I got the thing for free.... seems like not to bad of a computer, might swith it with the one I got :)

Does it work? If it was removed like that :eek: I would say its workability is questionable.

We still haven't figured out exactly what the CPU is.

Also, make sure to take the HSF off of the CPU before you try to put it back in the socket or you are going to make a big mess.

What type of intel is this??? Possibly screwed?

Last time I swapped my hsf, the CPU pulled right off too (using properly appled AS5 & SP-94).... about soiled myself in the process.

I had a 2.53Ghz P4 stick to the ICE cooler in my Shuttle XPC.

I was scared shitless that I broke something but everything still worked afterwards.

The Type44 paste I use is fairly thick and it just pulled the processor out with the heatsink.

Some people say heat (blowdryer) helps unstick, some people say cold (freezer) helps.

BigBadBiologist said:
jeez man! Unstick that CPU from the HSF. Then we can help you. But just from that HSF, I would say a socket 423 P4.

Definitely a Socket 478 CPU. The heat sink looks small; I'd guess it's a Willamette core P4 or Celeron. I used to be able to tell the difference between the P4 and Celeron by the arrangement of the caps on the bottom of the CPU, but I've forgotten it all. You could probably find the info lying about somewhere still.

To tell for sure, it's easy enough. Just wipe the metal cap on the top of the CPU clear of all of the remaining thermal material. There will be a bunch of numbers and codes; this makes it very easy to determine the CPU speed and model.

Back