what type of ports are best on a video card?

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Hey there - I've been out of the custom computer building thing for a while (6 or so years since my last one :eek: ). Anyways - what sort of output port is the desired thing right now for video cards? Back when I was more in the loop - DVI was just starting to replace VGA. Now it seems like HDMI is the new player in town?

I'm looking to buy a video card that can drive two 24" monitors. I haven't bought (or chosen) them yet - so I can make sure to get ones that have whatever port I need. But what port should I be making sure my video card has?

Thanks dudes.

Most of the highest end cards that I know of still have dual DVI ports. You can buy a DVI -> HDMI adapter that should work just without the sound.

Most of the highest end cards that I know of still have dual DVI ports. You can buy a DVI -> HDMI adapter that should work just without the sound.

I hadn't realized that HDMI carried audio as well as video. Are there some monitors out there that have built in speakers, or speaker outputs, that take advantage of this?

Also - where does the audio signal come from? I guess since it's digital a sound card isn't as needed?

I hadn't realized that HDMI carried audio as well as video. Are there some monitors out there that have built in speakers, or speaker outputs, that take advantage of this?

Also - where does the audio signal come from? I guess since it's digital a sound card isn't as needed?

It's usually for a HDTV. I don't know about monitors.

I've heard that ATI cards with HDMI inputs can output sound. IIRC, there's a header on the video card that ties into your existing sound card, or something like that. I never really paid much attention to it because I was already sporting an 8800GTS, but the concept sounded interesting, especially for HTPC setups.

DVI puts out the same quality as HDMI. The only difference is HDMI carries audio aswell.
However, there was a video review somewhere here about an idiot reviewing the 2900XT and he said that the HDMI port on the 2900XT worked for audio.

I have also heard of some DVI doing audio, but Im not sure, I dont know much about that,

The ATI cards use what amounts to a Realtek HD audio chip onboard. Also, the thing many people don't seem to 'get' is that HDMI has no real advantage over DVI and separate audio or even video only HDMI and and separate audio. It's just one less cable, which in the end is not at all important in most cases.

Back