What type of ram does this computer use?

Chix4mat

Gawd
My friend has an older Dell, and she has no idea what type of ram she needs to buy, and neither do I. We don't live near each other.

http://www.deathspawner.net/etcetera/jen_report.htm (350k)

That's her Everest Report.. but I can't find out exactly from there exactly what type of ram she needs. Not familiar with RIMM.

Sorry, I know I sound like a noob. Any help would be appreciated.. thanks!

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1800 MHz (18 x 100)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 8200
Motherboard Chipset Intel Tehama i850(E)
System Memory 256 MB (RDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (09/18/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

intel i850 chipset --> rdram. it even says next to the system memory size. the older p4 chipsets used rdram b/c of it's fast speed, thus more memory bandwidth. newer p4 chipsets have been using dual channel ddr.

DIMM = ddr. RIMM = rdram.

Aye, but does it matter what kind she buys? IE: old mobos wouldn't support DDR400 Dimm would they?

Just don't want her to spend money if it ends up not working in her comp. Thanks for the help!

Chix4mat said:
Aye, but does it matter what kind she buys? IE: old mobos wouldn't support DDR400 Dimm would they?

Just don't want her to spend money if it ends up not working in her comp. Thanks for the help!

Go to crucial and use their memory configurator to select memory. Actually first read up on the different types of memory.

find out if it is RDRAM 800 or RDRAM 1066.

RDRAM uses match pairs, so make sure she either gets a 256mb stick of the same stuff, or she gets 2 512 sticks of the same stuff. if she goes for 2 new ones, i dont think it would make a difference if she used a higher speed ram, but then again i am not REAL familiar w/ rambus.
tell her to look at the stick itself and find out what it says(if anything)

I didn't literally mean put DDR in her comp, tried to use an example, hehe. Definately will try that configurator.. forget ALL about that. Thanks much :)

Back