what video cards were out when counter strike first came out

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
its been a long time since counter strike came out and i was just wonder what cards were out and did they get 100 frames?

the reason for this is i play source now and the frame rate dipps ALOT!! and i guess it just has to be a while for new cards to come out so we can max out on frames like we do on the old CS .

The first release of CS was what June 1999 (someone want to confirm this for me?, I'm pretty sure it's correct though).

The Geforce 256 was released from memory in August 1999. How it played though - I can't remmber :p.

Keep in mind back then a lot of people played in 640X480 or 800X600 and almost noone used AA/AF. Since graphics have gotten so much better it now requires better resolutions and image quality for the graphics to look good. Sure you could play CS:S in 640X480 with NoAA, but its not going to look good. As i side note i get over 1000FPS in regular CS (timerefresh) at 1024 ;)

ati rage 128 32mb. was playing at 1024x768. no af/aa (it didnt even exist at that time i believe). I had a geforce 256 shortly after, and it was total crap, with a lot of drivers issues.

lol so ironic i have that ati rage video card right now its sitting on top of my TV very wierd it dont have any cooler on its chip pretty cool then

TNT and TNT2 where best cards avaible. Though it played well on VooDoo II SLi :)
Then came a first GeForce and then GeForce DDR and then well You know it from there I gues :)

MD

MD said:
TNT and TNT2 where best cards avaible. Though it played well on VooDoo II SLi :)
Then came a first GeForce and then GeForce DDR and then well You know it from there I gues :)

MD

QFT
I never played CS more then 4 minutes(Not for me) I'm a tribes gamer.
But TNT/TNT2 were the grand daddies for CS for a good while in the beginning
Voodoo Sli and then first Geforces(256,DDR and so on)

man how much did those costs? i remember ive been integrated graphics all the way till last year and ive had like 3 computers in thelast year so yea sucks my knowledge of video cards is like radeon 9000(paid 100 for :( sucks) mx440 and up

i had a voodoo 2 to run half life then CS. Then i swiched to Matrox g400 max. Yeah!

Erasmus354 said:
Tribes is the shit Ruffy....many hours lost on the Renegades mod.

Oh yeah, much respect ot the old Tribes players. So many great hours spent on that.

tvdang7 said:
man CS is pretty old and yet still so popular wierd huh?

Because it will run on the lowest end/oldest hardware available at present. You have to remember that probably 90% or more of PC owners do not run the latest and greatest hardware setups. Especially a lot of the kids who play CS ;).

TNT2 for me as well. :)

though you couldnt get away with that anymore, tried when i threw it back in my rig whilst waiting for me PCI-E card to be delivered.

Fawkes said:
TNT2 for me as well. :)

though you couldnt get away with that anymore, tried when i threw it back in my rig whilst waiting for me PCI-E card to be delivered.

so true. i just threw a tnt2 32mb into my system temporarily while i wait for my x800xt to arrive. god damn this thing even makes navigating the web a pain in the ass.

I started with a Vodoo2 and then upgraded to a Vodoo3 (PCI of course, I wasn't cool enough for AGP).

I remember I never wanted to play HL or CS or any of that.
I was a hard core Quake 2, 3 player and as a fan boy HL was EVIL.

I think I played HL for the first time in 2000 with my GF4 TI 4600... maybe not, might have been my VOODOO 3 card... Hell if I can remember :confused:

I played Beta 1 of CS in the summer of 99, though I didn't start playing it "full time" till beta 2.

I was running a Voodoo 3 2000 on my Celeron 333 I believe, I may have upgraded to a Celeron 500@585 at this point, though that may have come in 2000. I didn't quite get 100 all the time, not even close.

I got a GeForce DDR the week they were released, pre-order. This was a huge leap, even with the forced -32bpp option I got crazy FPS, this went down as they added new models.

Violator said:
Because it will run on the lowest end/oldest hardware available at present. You have to remember that probably 90% or more of PC owners do not run the latest and greatest hardware setups. Especially a lot of the kids who play CS ;).

No because CS is the best multiplayer FPS ever. The perfect balance of skill and strategy. I actually feel sorry for people that play Quake 3/UT2k4, that kind of gameplay was old in 1997. I laughed at UT/Q3A when they came out back in 1999, and I couldn't believe anyone in their right mind could play them for more than 30 minutes and not see how terrible they were. Tribes was waaaaay too slow IMO. I couldn't get into that game. Felt like an FPS played out in Jello.

The amount of servers and players is plain as day. http:///www.gamespy.com/stats/

People don't feel like shooting rockets at each others feet anymore.

Majin said:
I remember I never wanted to play HL or CS or any of that.
I was a hard core Quake 2, 3 player and as a fan boy HL was EVIL.

I think I played HL for the first time in 2000 with my GF4 TI 4600... maybe not, might have been my VOODOO 3 card... Hell if I can remember :confused:

Haha...I remember the days when I first saw GLQuake and thought I was stupid for not buying a $200 video card :). I played HL1 with a Voodoo2 SLI the first time I played it. Ran real nice at 1024x768. I was the man to all my college roommates :).

i didnt have a good card so i used a voodoo2.....and then i got a 9600pro and i wasnt even that impressed with the results and the 160$ at the time. I guess it was a good investment, as I doubt a v2 could play ut2k4 and cs:S

Anti Aliasing was around long before CS was released

If i remember, most cards around that time didn't make use of Full Screen anti aliasing though

Svperstar said:
No because CS is the best multiplayer FPS ever. The perfect balance of skill and strategy. I actually feel sorry for people that play Quake 3/UT2k4, that kind of gameplay was old in 1997. I laughed at UT/Q3A when they came out back in 1999, and I couldn't believe anyone in their right mind could play them for more than 30 minutes and not see how terrible they were. Tribes was waaaaay too slow IMO. I couldn't get into that game. Felt like an FPS played out in Jello.

The amount of servers and players is plain as day. http:///www.gamespy.com/stats/

People don't feel like shooting rockets at each others feet anymore.

Blah, I don't like CS that much. Nowadays the only way to be good is to be able to exploit all the glitches and hidden tricks.

dgb said:
Oh yeah, much respect ot the old Tribes players. So many great hours spent on that.

oh shit...I remember not going to bed at all, playing that game straight through the night!!!! I used to play the stronghold map over, and over, and over......

I bought a voodoo2 specifically to run this game in glide :D

First played it on a Voodoo 3 2000, also played it on the cybercafe's with TNT2's. Dunno exactly when tho. But i certainly do distinctly remember the difference between GL and DX. Everyone preferred the former coz the game played sluggish in DX.

Svperstar said:
Tribes was waaaaay too slow IMO. I couldn't get into that game. Felt like an FPS played out in Jello.

What are you smoking? Tribes was only slow for those who didn't know how to play it - I had a couple of memorable games where I capped out a map (8 caps) in less than five minutes.

The problem with Tribes was that for the most it wasn't as easily accessible as CS - you actually had to learn how to play it, skiing etc.

EDIT: Anyone want to get together for an oldschool Tribes game?

I was playing on a 333Mhz Celeron with a TNT Vanta 8MB AGP card connecting @ 19.2-28.8 because my phone line sucked.

Combination of CS, Firearms, and TFC.

I remember playing TFC and turning off fog table emulation (I actually think the card didn't support it, so long ago, I don't remember) so that I could water snipe :p

Erasmus354 said:
Tribes is the shit Ruffy....many hours lost on the Renegades mod.

wow, im surprised people still remember tribes. i loved that game when it came out, from base mod to ultra renegades vx5. i played up until.... oh 2004 i believe. servers became too few. i played tribes on an hold 200mhz pent1? gah i wish i rememberd. with 64 megs of ram and some integrated graphics. ahh those were the days on 56k

travbrad said:
Keep in mind back then a lot of people played in 640X480 or 800X600 and almost noone used AA/AF. Since graphics have gotten so much better it now requires better resolutions and image quality for the graphics to look good. Sure you could play CS:S in 640X480 with NoAA, but its not going to look good. As i side note i get over 1000FPS in regular CS (timerefresh) at 1024 ;)

My FPS is locked at 60 FPS in old CS and I can't figure out how to get it to go higher.

I tried the fps_max and fps_modem command but neither unlock it.

nobi125 said:
My FPS is locked at 60 FPS in old CS and I can't figure out how to get it to go higher.

I tried the fps_max and fps_modem command but neither unlock it.
Turn V-Sync off in the nVidia CP.

kcthebrewer said:
Turn V-Sync off in the nVidia CP.

It was on application control for some reason. With that off I am now stuck at 100 fps.

fps_max 0 or something ... i remember there was somethin to it ... sorry bad mammary

I still play CS on my High End Geforce 4 MX 440 - Overclocked by me!

:(

My freind bought it for me as an upgrade from my Geforce 2. He paid 20 for it, so it was a good deal. I want a new computer... :(

I would not say that at all.
CS is one type of FPS its impossible to compare it to say, BF2.
CS was a good game before exploits and hackers ruined it.
I still play the game but it is very frustrating and headshots come way too easy.

cs is gay i used a ti4200 for it.. then upgraded to a 6600gt and A64 2800+ , i still get 100 fps... but i actually do go below 100 fps sometimes even with that developer 1 bs. It seems cs runs better on older hardware :confused:

Back