What Virus/Trojan is this?

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I've got it randomly a few times now. I thought I took care of it. Ran MSE detected nothing.

Malware Nothing.

Spybot. Nothing.

Trying AntiVir

whatisthis2.png

whatisthis.png

Thanks in advance!

looks like drive by malware or drive by scareware, or a mixture of both

you haven't been visiting . . . . . unsavory sites have you?

Nope. That's the thing.

I also looked up "System Security."

How should I go about removing this bitch?

You don't actually have that virus (unless you clicked on anything after it popped up). It pops up a lot on sites that use ad services. It's designed to scare you into downloading whatever it tells you to download.

You don't actually have that virus (unless you clicked on anything after it popped up). It pops up a lot on sites that use ad services. It's designed to scare you into downloading whatever it tells you to download.

It came up on Facebook. So, you think that it actually the cause? I control alt deleted right after it popped up.

If that's true you're saving me a big headache!

Don't go there again. Problem solved. It's a push by some random virus or trojan to make you download it onto your computer by pretending it's an antivirus suite and your computer is infected with malware like there's no tomorrow.

yeah, never fall for the drive by scareware things

but do a scan or 2 to make sure you have nothing going

It came up on Facebook. So, you think that it actually the cause? I control alt deleted right after it popped up.

If that's true you're saving me a big headache!

Facebook and Myspace hands this scareware out like candy. Maybe try switching to firefox with noscript.

yeah, never fall for the drive by scareware things

but do a scan or 2 to make sure you have nothing going

I did. I ran Anti Vir. Came up clean. MSE (Clean). Then SuperAntispyware (Clean).

Malwarebytes (Clean.)

About to uninstall antivir now. ughhhhh I wonder what site is leading to do this. It has happened a few times lately. I'm not visiting any raunchy sites either!

Facebook and Myspace hands this scareware out like candy. Maybe try switching to firefox with noscript.

Will do!

Thanks for the input guys. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving/Holiday if you're off. ;)

It's not limited to Facebook or MySpace. It's any site that uses an ad servicer like Google (though not necessary Google's specific ad service).. I've hit it on Wikipedia for instance.

drive by malware is increasingly common these days

i don't like NoScript, it's a pain in the ass, but it does do it's job though

drive by malware is increasingly common these days

i don't like NoScript, it's a pain in the ass, but it does do it's job though

Glad to know what to look out for. Also glad MSE actually is working. I was beginning to doubt it, since it wasn't picking up anything. Glad to know I actually didn't catch anything.

Exactly, if you notice, it's still within firefox.exe process. It's just a webpage designed to look like My Computer.

That's why ad blocking software is great... It'd usually block crap like that and you'd just see a white page in its place.

+1 on NoScript. Never go anywhere without protection. It's not nearly as big a pain in the ass as dealing with fucking hijacks.

And facebook counts as an unsavory site. :)

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Seriously, the Facebook hate... It's a pretty well-contained system until you knowingly start adding and using a bunch of apps. At that point it's no different than knowingly add and use "Free Screensavers OMG!!!"...

Facebook is fine if you use it vanilla.

Seriously, the Facebook hate... It's a pretty well-contained system until you knowingly start adding and using a bunch of apps.

Yup..stay away from the apps 'n ads, that's all. I wasn't into myspace much..but recently started doing facebook...I always put the apps/games to "hide"..I don't want to see mafia wars or farm or whatever other games people are playing, so I have all those hidden for a nice peaceful wall page.

Come to think of it, I was thinking of starting up a "Who here on the h-ocp network forums are on facebook, we should add each other" thread.

swremove-it.exe i have been using on some of these redirectors.

That doesn't make it any less unsavory.

What's unsavory? Don't like it, don't use it. It's a free world [for now].

I can vouch for getting to know more people again with it. It's not as mindless as Twitter is. Twitter encourages folks to update stupid crap whereas Facebook is more of a tool you can use how you will.

Back