What was AMD thinking

locutus24

[H]ard|Gawd
Sitting here looking at my cpu temps and thinking about the design of the 462 socket processors i wonder. Why didnt AMD do a little tag along with Intel, by using heat spreaders on all their processors especially on the Barton cores.Cause even my old 800mhz 370 celeron had a heat spreader on it, finally on the 754 and up sockets they decided to use them. Im only saying this cause i would think the contact to the heatsink would be greatly increased with this little feature, its a little late to do it now but just thinking or asking why didnt they do something as small as adding a heat spreader.
(Im hoping the metal covering on the processor is called a heat spreader)

i remember reading correctly that those intergrated heat sinks actually make it warmer because it traps warm air or somethin like that...like a CPU with direct contact to a heatsink/fan will dissipate the heat better or something

The heatspreader actually inhibits cooling. It's put on there for dense sensitive cores that can't handle pressure from hsf's so well and would likely crack without the spreader.

i actually have an ihs-free revE core, seems to be holding up fine, i think it comes down to the fact that putting on a heatspreader costs less in the end than replacing all the damaged cpu's that come back when they shouldn't.. or something like that :p

Well if anyone else comes in and reads this, i want to know why also there is no bolt on hsf for 462 cause 754 / 939 / 940 there are four holes in the mobo where the hsf mounts. My dell even had this tricked me when i was trying to get to my old P4, cause those 462 zalmans are heavy and im scared one would tear off the ZIF socket

(cf)Eclipse said:
i actually have an ihs-free revE core, seems to be holding up fine, i think it comes down to the fact that putting on a heatspreader costs less in the end than replacing all the damaged cpu's that come back when they shouldn't.. or something like that :p

Is it easy to remove the ihs?

locutus24 said:
Well if anyone else comes in and reads this, i want to know why also there is no bolt on hsf for 462 cause 754 / 939 / 940 there are four holes in the mobo where the hsf mounts.

Some motherboards had them, some didn't. It was up to the motherboard manufacturer.

dgb said:
Some motherboards had them, some didn't. It was up to the motherboard manufacturer.
Ahh.. my questions about AMD have been answered, i now know more and now love amd more for some reason dont ask

They didnt put em on the 462's because they want you to unlock it.

AMD used heatspreders on the k5 and k6 cpus and the first athlon k7 looked like the intel p2 slot chips.

AMD was hurting real bad at this point and switched for more bang for your buck and made the socket 7 platform

skratch said:
AMD was hurting real bad at this point and switched for more bang for your buck and made the socket 7 platform
i do hope you mean socketA, socket7 was and intel designed socket for pentiums, k5's and k6's

lithium726 said:
i do hope you mean socketA, socket7 was and intel designed socket for pentiums, k5's and k6's

yea I ment socket a.Its been a while since iv even thought about that setup

locutus24 said:
Well if anyone else comes in and reads this, i want to know why also there is no bolt on hsf for 462 cause 754 / 939 / 940 there are four holes in the mobo where the hsf mounts. My dell even had this tricked me when i was trying to get to my old P4, cause those 462 zalmans are heavy and im scared one would tear off the ZIF socket
Depends on the board, I've had a few socket 462 boards with the holes for a bolt on heatsink.

M848ALU V2.1
K7SEM V1
K7S5A V1.xx

They're out there if you look for them...

The only way a heatspreader would actually be useful is if it was made of copper or silver and had a very, very flush contact with the core.

finalgt said:
The only way a heatspreader would actually be useful is if it was made of copper or silver and had a very, very flush contact with the core.

the amd 64s are copper

finalgt said:
it still wouldn't be useful. Copper/silver have extremely similar properties to aluminum, and besides, anything in the way of the HSF and the cpu core is just in the way. Same reason why direct water on the core (done safely/correctly) cools better than a waterblock.

This instigated a lot more talk then i initially thought it would, pretty interesting all the info that is being posted im liking it keep it going

well, I'm sure there are a few threads kicking around on IHS removal. The average results I've seen are a ~ 7C drop in load temps. The AMD processors have an IHS that is pretty easy to remove, compared to the newer intel cpus, that have an IHS which cannot be removed without great risk due to epoxy.

Back