What will WoW's 4th expansion in 2012 bring ?

Meh, Diablo 2 wasn't either yet compared to WOW it may as well have been: other than raids, WOW all boils down to 4/5-player-or-less encounters (heck, most of their raids are ten... nowadays...) or solo'ing quests. Diablo 2/3 have persistent characters, trading, etc. in them, so... it may as well be with how single-player WOW is in general except for the economy (which wouldn't be a big deal in Diablo 2/3, just advertise in the general chat lobbies for a trade). WOW's truly a "singleplayer" type MMO, where you don't really see or interact with those you do see, much with those around you: they may as well be NPC's.

Maybe that's why you don't like WoW? You anti-social? :)

If you engage the community (outside barrens/trade chat), you'll see it's much much more than a single player environment.

They tried to balance WoW for the people who like to spend some time alone and do stuff on their own (single to group quest balancing, achievements, dailies, etc) to people who want to raid or PvP in groups (battlegrounds, dungeons, raids).

There is a huge mix of things to do in WoW, that's why it's lasted so long.

There has been speculation for a long time that an Emerald Dream expansion will come for WoW.

As far as story continuity goes, that will always take a backseat to gameplay considerations in a story that is supposed to evolve along with the game.They will make something up and that's it. I also expect that it will be the last major expansion for WoW, so they can write the story in ways that do not need to be tied up further down the line.

Yeah, story continuity is virtually impossible to maintain in an MMO. Even when they try to keep it on a zone-wide level via phasing it pisses the players off. Imagine trying to employ a similar strategy on a game-wide level to try to add chronologic continuity.

In case you missed it, Diablo 3 is not a MMO.

No way? Really? Didn't realize this thread turned into MMO only. Even though it is a valid point, that by the time the 4th expansion rolls around a large majority of players will hopefully be playing Diablo 3 instead of WoW. Sorry for blindly introducing my Action-RPG heresy...

No way? Really? Didn't realize this thread turned into MMO only. Even though it is a valid point, that by the time the 4th expansion rolls around a large majority of players will hopefully be playing Diablo 3 instead of WoW. Sorry for blindly introducing my Action-RPG heresy...

Not just MMO only, but WoW specific. You're forgiven. And so is your ignorant sarcasm :D

Maybe that's why you don't like WoW? You anti-social? :)

If you engage the community (outside barrens/trade chat), you'll see it's much much more than a single player environment.

They tried to balance WoW for the people who like to spend some time alone and do stuff on their own (single to group quest balancing, achievements, dailies, etc) to people who want to raid or PvP in groups (battlegrounds, dungeons, raids).

There is a huge mix of things to do in WoW, that's why it's lasted so long.

There's very little to do in WOW that you can't do solo or 5-man, that is meaningful in any way. Compare to Dark Age of Camelot or EverQuest 1 and there's just no contest...

there's no WoW 2, it will just be xpac after xpac until the game is not selling then it will be switched to free to play model eventually. Blizzard even talked about that happening way down the road.

blizzards next mmo is not WoW 2, it's supposed to be a completely new IP or based off a completely different setting

There's very little to do in WOW that you can't do solo or 5-man, that is meaningful in any way. Compare to Dark Age of Camelot or EverQuest 1 and there's just no contest...

Who said anything about how many people it takes to do anything? No one is debating that at all. MMO != you can't do anything solo. WoW is an MMO, the biggest around. That doesn't mean that everything requires multiple people or that it should require a huge amount of people to do something. :rolleyes:

there's no WoW 2, it will just be xpac after xpac until the game is not selling then it will be switched to free to play model eventually. Blizzard even talked about that happening way down the road.

blizzards next mmo is not WoW 2, it's supposed to be a completely new IP or based off a completely different setting

^^^ THIS.

I read this the other day. Why would Blizzard try to create a new WoW and get rid of the older still very profitable one? Why would they want to undertake trying to duplicate the WoW experience with another WoW MMO? WoW will go on until it's not making money anymore. I can see it still around for another 5 years.

Every MMO that is coming out is called the WoW killer. Not one has come close. I'm not an uber fanboy, just speaking the truth.

Is this a serious post? If so, lets take a look. The 1 underwater zone is made in such a way where it's not a burden to move around. In fact, after you complete the first couple quests, you get infinite breathing and swim 60% faster than normal speed. This makes it a lot maneuverable than even ground-based zones. Did you actually think Blizzard was gonna make an entire zone borderline unplayable?

I don't know what the statement about healing was about exactly, but it looks like you made a misinterpretation. The most likely statement they made was probably that they're gonna make it harder on healers, where they can't keep everyone topped off all the time, or something like that.

With the removal of some stats, its still more complicated than TBC, and far more complex than vanilla. Vanilla didn't involve stats very much to begin with, you just wore the next best thing you could get and not have choices in optimizing gear besides enchants or something. TBC mixed it up a bit with haste rating and a few other stats, but they weren't very relevant until WotLK. Cata is going to introduce mastery rating into the mix, so it's not a total reduction. For caster DPS, Intellect was useless to pay attention to for a long time now, the only difference in Cata is that they'll pay attention to it instead of spell power.

I'm sure it was a serious post, from someone that has zero clue what they are talking about.

The movement buff you get in Vashj'ir is awesome. You always move 60% faster while swimming and and you can walk on the sea floor at a 60% boost. It's not another Kedge Keep.

The comment about healing and people being at half health was made in a blue post about how healers in WotLK feel like they MUST keep every single person in the group/raid at max health. Where in TBC the healers knew they didn't have to top everyone off all the time and would save mana to make sure the tank doesn't die.

Who said anything about how many people it takes to do anything? No one is debating that at all. MMO != you can't do anything solo. WoW is an MMO, the biggest around. That doesn't mean that everything requires multiple people or that it should require a huge amount of people to do something. :rolleyes:

MMO does/used to mean that it was a vast world with things going on when you weren't on, things being captured back/forth by various sides, PVP (not battlegrounds, but real PVP), etc., not that the "massive" part of the game was your single 5-man instance every lockout ;). As I said... WOW isn't a very "massive" MMO, it's just multiplayer: just like Diablo 3 will be.

MMO does/used to mean that it was a vast world with things going on when you weren't on, things being captured back/forth by various sides, PVP (not battlegrounds, but real PVP), etc., not that the "massive" part of the game was your single 5-man instance every lockout ;). As I said... WOW isn't a very "massive" MMO, it's just multiplayer: just like Diablo 3 will be.

Wow is pretty massive in my book. There are plenty of things going on when I'm not online. I think you're definition of MMO is flawed.

Sorry to burst your bubble but WoW *is* an MMO. You might not like that, but it is what it is.

Meh, Diablo 2 wasn't either yet compared to WOW it may as well have been: other than raids, WOW all boils down to 4/5-player-or-less encounters (heck, most of their raids are ten... nowadays...) or solo'ing quests. Diablo 2/3 have persistent characters, trading, etc. in them, so... it may as well be with how single-player WOW is in general except for the economy (which wouldn't be a big deal in Diablo 2/3, just advertise in the general chat lobbies for a trade). WOW's truly a "singleplayer" type MMO, where you don't really see or interact with those you do see, much with those around you: they may as well be NPC's.

I never understood how people played Diablo II for more than a week. It was a great game but I don't see the replay value.

I never understood how people played Diablo II for more than a week. It was a great game but I don't see the replay value.

It was fun and addictive for it's time, basically you had to love killing lots of shit all the time. But by today's standards, I'm not sure how that kind of gameplay will fare. This is what makes me most skeptical of how well D3 will do, unless they vastly changed how valuable or persistent each character will be.

They say the expac will be every year for now....so expect it 2011 or Jan 2012.

I stopped playing WoW few months after BC was released (and I was playing since vanilla release circa 2004). Simply I just moved to other things in life. Now I am stable enough to play as a causal, not hardcore player; so I guess I can give Cataclysm a shot.

There's like a shitload of new things and gameplay changes. I used to play warrior and elemental shaman, but I was always eager to try a frost mage. I used to avoid raids (mostly because I find them boring), I was on the battlegrounds and pvp zones like 90% of my gametime. In the other hand though, I liked being a healer a lot, any idea if resto druid fits any pvp scheme?

So, in your opinion, what class will fit the most?

I would love to play on a classic server with pre expansions content :)

I'll still probably cave and buy Diablo 3 but I'm looking forward to Torchlight 2 more I think.

I think cataclysm will be the last hurrah. Cat will be #1 top time for WoW and then fade away quickly.

2011 is looking to be one of the best years in a long time for the PC Gamer finally.

SW:ToR
GuildWars2
Torchlight2
Diablo ]l[
Rage

Those are just a few of the triple A games due out in 2011, that will take away WoW players after they are already Level 85 and seem the new world and bored looking for something new
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

ive been along time WoW junkie. I mean addicted to the point wher i lost everything. my job and everything. I quit WoW for about 8 months & I returned about 2 weeks ago. Ive been trying to get back into it but its just not for me anymore.

I wont be buying Cata im now looking for a New game to play. maybe SC2 or something.

Could be anything story wise at this point. But really levels , raid content and pvp content is all they are doing now.

I stopped playing WoW over a year ago and from what I've read/heard of Cat it was a good choice. I was more into the difficulty of vanilla WoW and that died out a long time ago (only thing left thats a challenge is the Arena).

I still love the story that revolves around WoW and might even buy the expansion just to experience that but I doubt it.

I hope they do more story content on the Titans.

Exactly, this new MMO will be polished like a diamond. They started working on it right after TBC shipped, and say it is still a good couple of years out. The developers have said, that they are learning from Wow on what not to do on this next game, and a true smart quest system, and even bigger open ended world, it could be totally mind fucking amazing. And set in an all new universe never touched by a Blizzard game before, so that is anyone guess what that might be ? Ancient Greece or Egyptian theme...Cyberpunk near future...Industrial Age...

Might get an early brief glimpse into it at this years Blizzcon

If it has anything to due with the direction they brought WoW with the WOTLK expansion, I can't imagine it being good, at all.

I will stop playing WoW pretty much all together next year when Diablo ]l[ comes out. As well as trying SWToR hopefully it matches the hype and isn't another WarHammer fail.

This for me as well

If it has anything to due with the direction they brought WoW with the WOTLK expansion, I can't imagine it being good, at all.

It depends on what they do with it. They can have the focus on dumbing down things for casuals but they can not forget to add content for the higher end. If they still had raids worth raiding in WoW I would still be playing but as it stands right now all the Heroic content is a joke.

Those are just a few of the triple A games due out in 2011, that will take away WoW players after they are already Level 85 and seem the new world and bored looking for something new

I would doubt this since the expansions generally stay "fresh" for a good while before people get all their professions maxed, reputations farmed out, dungeons fully explored and memorized, comfortable learning their class rotations, gearing properly, etc. All excluding raid content. Not all people move at the same pace. I will probably hit 85 within 5 days if I pace myself to 1 a day. But for others, its a huge obstacle that can take weeks to months.

If WoW at least reduced their price to 10$/month I think a lot of their players wouldn't mind so much with shelling out the extra cash for expansions.

lol

there going to shell out anyways for a new x-pac that what brings alot of players back.

I'd rather them start working on a new MMO. Fresh starts in new MMO's make for the best of times.

The entire A-Team is at work on the new MMO. The current WoW of the last 18 months is what the B-Team is delivering.

The new mmo from blizz is gonna destroy any competition period when it comes out. Of course Wow already does that and the new starwars mmo isn't gonna put a dent period.

Much of the original WoW team are still working on it. The only guy I actually heard moving to the new MMO was Tigole. Some people get the impression that because the direction of WoW changed drastically over the years, there must have been a sweeping change in the design teams.

It is crazy how popular WoW is after 6yrs. With Cataclysm it will show its biggest subscriber base ever to date with 12 million +. That is just fucked up for such an old game.

I really can't see anything toppling it soon, except itself like WoW2 or the next Blizzard MMO. Even it drops off big time to only 1 million players that works still be the #1 MMO, and I don't see it going from 12 million down to 1 million and less for a very long time.

I guess it keep on going to 6 expansions easily at this rate. Even 5 more years if its just 500,000 players that's more than enough to keep making expansions.

It is crazy how popular WoW is after 6yrs. With Cataclysm it will show its biggest subscriber base ever to date with 12 million +. That is just fucked up for such an old game.

I really can't see anything toppling it soon, except itself like WoW2 or the next Blizzard MMO. Even it drops off big time to only 1 million players that works still be the #1 MMO, and I don't see it going from 12 million down to 1 million and less for a very long time.

I guess it keep on going to 6 expansions easily at this rate. Even 5 more years if its just 500,000 players that's more than enough to keep making expansions.

you do realize that 12 mil is total subscribers ever since launch? Including people who don't play anymore. There is not 12 mil active players now.

wow, didn't realize that was active, first time i've read one of those blizz subscriber post that says active on it

Each of their official press releases (except their most recent one for some reason) have stated how they count the subscribers. Most people just naturally assume that it includes inactive/trial accounts too.

Here's one from 2 years ago when they hit 11.5 mil:
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?081121

So it seems to have reached a plateau after this long. Makes me wonder if Cata will help it grow again.

wow, didn't realize that was active, first time i've read one of those blizz subscriber post that says active on it

Yeah, the 12million # is current active paying customer base. Not every customer since launch, that would make it like 100 million :eek:

Everything I read, seems to say tons of old WoW players planning to make a comeback after long time off. I think the Cataclysm # of players will be freakish huge, and I think the pinnacle and top every for the history of WoW, this will be the last big hurrah, would not shock me to see it go up to 14 million.

With Cataclysm almost out later this Summer, I was just thinking what possibly could the 4th expansion for World of Warcraft bring in a couple of years ?

I mean Cataclysm is a HUGE update to the game, they finally addressed the old world, and redid it, still has outdated graphics, but at least not the crappy 2004 graphics anymore. So now it will actually be fun to create a brand new Level 1 and take your time going through all new content until Level 58 - 78 :rolleyes: Which will seem really weird now, read this little blurb
http://www.wow.com/2010/07/29/wow-rookie-cataclysm-changes-to-early-and-middle-levels/
TAD also asked: What's the story impetus now for players to even bother going to Outland or WotLK?

Outland and Northrend are in very strange places now that they've revamped the "old" world in Cataclysm. There's an immense disconnect in the story between levels 58 and 78 now. The quests you do in those areas technically take place in the past as far as the story goes, and you just have to roll with it and pretend it's perfectly normal. There's very little story impetus. None at all, really. It's just a victim of the fact that Blizzard is already rebuilding most of the world, they can't rebuild another at the same time. Maybe next expansion will see an Outland revamp that sets the story right. I won't lie, I loved Outland. Most people didn't, but I did. Zangarmarsh remains my favorite zone in the game even after seeing the Cataclysm beta.

This is all typical of MMOs. Go play everquest and head to old expac zones.

Luckily it's something they really wanna go back and fix, as stated at Blizzcon. But for the time being, it's going to be a bit broken. Considering the magnitude of work it took to redo most of the classic zones, we're not going to see anything else redone anytime soon. One neat tidbit for those who don't know, the WotLK loading screen in the Cata beta is of Bolvar on the throne with the helm of the LK on, looking at his hands in disgust. OL just has the warden Maiev and Akama. So there's some acknowledgment that the big baddies there are no longer in charge.

It will bring new quests....

Such as a quest that has you kill 5 dragons for there scales so that Orlaf can craft special "Scale Mail" armor to give to his brother for his birthday.

Your quest rewards will include 1.26g and the choice of scale mail armor or a wooden sword.
:rolleyes:

Everything looks more complicated! I really am a fan of Warcraft. I love playing this game. The graphics are great. Just hope there will be more changes and challenges to go along with it.

Although that is how they've been in the past, wotlk tried to make some of their quests more dynamic, engaging and interesting. I've heard that with Cataclysm this is a MAJOR goal with regards to the questing system. They want to make deeper, more interesting, cinematic and engaging storylines that a player will follow and feel a part of.

We obviously need innovation in that area of the game, shitttttt, need it bad.

Well it's not exactly deeper, but it's certainly more interesting than it was in WotLK and of course, much better than everything before that. The questing style is basically the same and never really ever changed, but the presentation is better and a little more varied than before. Both starting zones have a pretty nice progressive feel as you move through the area since the NPCs also "progress" along with you too. Each of the new zones also have introductory sequences that are pretty awesome.

Back