What will you do with your Sandy Bridge board?

I'll

• ...return it and wait until new boards are available for purchase.

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • ...keep it and hope that I can get it replaced without having to "prove" that it is faulty.

Votes: 114 80.9%

• Total voters

bmt22033

Weaksauce
In light of the news from Intel this morning about the "design flaw" in the Cougar Point chipset, what do you plan to do with your Sandy Bridge motherboard?

it depends on INTEL and the Motherboard manufactures.

I guess they will have to identify the affected motherboards by serial number or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they:

Send out Advanced Replacement motherboards -- I will accept it graciously.

Require you to send them the motherboard, and then ship you a replacement -- I'll ask for refund of the total price for a motherboard and shipping/handling. Then I'll buy a new board that comes with proper SATA silicon.

Send out SATA Add-On Cards in PCI Express or PCI form-factor -- I'll refuse it and initiate a chargeback for the price of the board as well as shipping/handling. My system is full. I have no room for any additional cards. This is not a viable option for me.

Thank the Spaghetti monster the problem is related to the sata ports ! I'll be using a offboard controller anyway (P8P67 WS and LSi 9260)

Don’t you think this question is a bit premature? Not enough people panicking in other threads for you?

Your pole options leave much to be desired and therefore don’t get a vote. A sensible, wait for all the info to see if my board is for sure part of the recall and then arrange an RMA at the appropriate time would have been far more useful.

Don’t you think this question is a bit premature? Not enough people panicking in other threads for you?

Your pole options leave much to be desired and therefore don’t get a vote. A sensible, wait for all the info to see if my board is for sure part of the recall and then arrange an RMA at the appropriate time would have been far more useful.

QFT

my overclocked p8p67 pro been works ok after fiddling around (no more cold boot, double post etc), but still experiencing the BSOD 0x124 with ntfs.sys once in a while.

btw when i ran sfc /scannow i got RST error, anybody got the same problem.

i might return it, but still have 12 days to return it, will wait and see.

I chose the poll options based on the fact that many people who have purchased a Sandy Bridge motherboard are either at or rapidly approaching the typical 30-day return window. If you bought your motherboard from a retailer that doesn't have a limited time period to accept returns, then I can see why you might not appreciate option #1. But I, like a lot of other people, now find ourselves in a situation where we probably have to make a decision very soon if we're going to return these motherboards. Beyond that window, we no longer have the option of returning said product and are at the mercy of Intel and the motherboard manufacturers to address the issue in an "acceptable manner". It sounds like motherboard manufacturers are only now (or very recently) learning of this news from Intel and even they probably don't know how this issue is going to be addressed with their consumers. If you're not returning your board, then you're left wondering things like...

- Will my motherboard manufacturer send me an advanced replacement board that I can install before I have to send the original back? Or will I have to send my original motherboard in first and then wait for a replacement?

- Will my motherboard manufacturer require me to prove that my board meets a particular threshold or exhibits a minimum level of degradation before it will be replaced?

Based on Intel's press release and subsequent press conference, it sounds like this may not be a matter of a bad batch of chipsets where yours isn't effected but mine is. It sounds more like a problem impacting all of the Cougar Point chipsets manufactured to date. I sincerely hope that your motherboard isn't effected and you won't need to concern yourself with this matter. But I, and probably a lot of other people, have to decide whether to return these products soon or wait and hope that Intel and the motherboard manufacturers will implement a good solution for replacing these boards.

Last edited:
Its a tough one.

My parts are arriving soon, I got a 2600K, motherboard, and 16GB of ram from newegg.

Newegg's return policy is pretty strict, but I believe I can refuse the package to get around there no CPU return policy. However I do want the Ram since I got 15% off. Returning it and waiting would probably mean saving money on the CPU and Motherboard in the future though. Plus there will be more motherboard options in a couple of months like EVGA boards. It will probably be March though when these things get sorted.

On the other hand I can keep the parts and use them now. I could use the 2 Marvell Sata 3 ports and probably be fine until motherboard manufacturers figure out how to handle the issue. This could also mean my computer is down for a couple of days if there is an RMA process. I would probably end up with a refurbished board as well as they are probably going to fix returned boards and sending them back out.

Apparently NOT all since they are claiming those shipped as of Jan. 9th.

Sandy Bridge was released on Jan. 9th. Nothing was supposed to ship prior to that date. So, claiming only those shipped as of Jan. 9th covers all Sandy Bridge boards.

Wait and see what Asus does- but I refuse to send in my mb first and wait for a replacement- I hope they can cross ship a new mb. I have 4 hard drives and 2 dvd burners- not sure what I am going to do- I guess make sure the boot drive is not on one of the Intel 3 gb/s ports until I get a replacement. Ugh....that's what I get dumping AMD for Intel LOL.

Apparently NOT all since they are claiming those shipped as of Jan. 9th.

From the Intel press release:

"The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue."

If you recall, January 9 was the launch date for Sandy Bridge. I think what Intel is trying to do here is to prevent everybody who owns an Intel-based computer from freaking out and calling Dell, HP, etc., about this issue. It sounds to me like this DOES effect every Cougar Point chipset manufactured to date. I guess we'll know soon enough when motherboard manufacturers start releasing statements about the problem.

I'm sending everything back (I already got my RMAs for the CPU, motherboard, and memory). These things happen with new hardware, but I'm not willing to risk going over the 30 days RMA period and finding out that they will have me jump through hoops to get a replacement (that could end up being a refurbished).

I guess it's back to my "old" x58 setup! :D

Mine is on a truck and I just talked a Newegg rep, they said I can refuse shipment and when the package gets back to Newegg, they automatically generate an RMA. 2-5 business days and I should have a refund.

I would rather just keep everything and use the SATA 6GB/s ports, but I have a feeling this will really hurt resale value when I go to sell this setup down the road. Even after boards are replaced and Intel is shipping corrected parts, I think people will be avoiding Sandy Bridge/P67/H67.

Mine is headed back to N cix.com in Canada for a full refund. No hassles.

Going to keep using it. This problem will manifest in only a small portion of boards, and may take years before there is an issue. I hope that I will be given an option for gigabyte to replace or repair my board, but having a one in ten shot of it failing in the next 3 years isn't enough for me to panic like everyone else is. Im not going to rma it and sit on a useless cpu and ram for 3 months. There's no risk of data loss or drive damage. If the 3gig ports stop working ill just use the 6gig ones. Im waiting for them to fix the issue and then ill try to get the mobo replaced.

Also, plus one to this affecting all sandy bridge chipsets. The january 9th is to make the point that old nehalem core i boards are fine, just the sandy ones. Iys not like the ones sold under the table before release are somehow problemfree.

I'll hold on to mine, at least for now. It's running fine. I'll likely move the front panel eSATA port and SATA dock to the Marvell controller. I'll keep the DVD drive on the 3 Gbps port for now.

If this affects only the 3 Gbps ports, one solution might be to have an option for vendors to ship 4-port SATA PCIe cards for those that don't want to rebuild their system with a new motherboard. That option might even be available sooner than having to wait for the new fixed chipset. I would consider such an option as fair compensation.

I'll hold on to mine, at least for now. It's running fine. I'll likely move the front panel eSATA port and SATA dock to the Marvell controller. I'll keep the DVD drive on the 3 Gbps port for now.

If this affects only the 3 Gbps ports, one solution might be to have an option for vendors to ship 4-port SATA PCIe cards for those that don't want to rebuild their system with a new motherboard. That option might even be available sooner than having to wait for the new fixed chipset. I would consider such an option as fair compensation.

I would accept this too, but kiss your board's resale value goodbye.

Can you even return your cpu to microcenter or newegg?

Im not willing to be their test bed so I'll be putting my fully functional 1090t/crosshair iv back in until the situation is resolved

Thinking about stripping it down and returning both board and cpu tonight. Not sure I want to wait on a board repair. Can't be without a computer for that long.

Going to keep using it. This problem will manifest in only a small portion of boards, and may take years before there is an issue. I hope that I will be given an option for gigabyte to replace or repair my board, but having a one in ten shot of it failing in the next 3 years isn't enough for me to panic like everyone else is. Im not going to rma it and sit on a useless cpu and ram for 3 months. There's no risk of data loss or drive damage. If the 3gig ports stop working ill just use the 6gig ones. Im waiting for them to fix the issue and then ill try to get the mobo replaced.

Also, plus one to this affecting all sandy bridge chipsets. The january 9th is to make the point that old nehalem core i boards are fine, just the sandy ones. Iys not like the ones sold under the table before release are somehow problemfree.

Exactly. I'm just minimizing the number of drives on the 3gbs sata ports, and those drives left on the 3gbs ports are infrequently used. On the chance that one of the ports degrades, Intel says it's a performance thing and not a data loss thing, so I'll just use one of the other 3gbs ports if that happens. I'll upgrade again in 1-2 years anyway. It's not worth screwing with an RMA for me.

Newegg's standard return policy is only exchanges on CPU's. If you opened it you are probably SOL, but its always worth asking.

If your items haven't arrived yet, you can just refused the package as long as it hasn't been opened. For example if its been delivered just take it back to UPS and tell them you want to refuse the package. Newegg will automatically create a RMA and give you a full refund (even for CPU's) and you don't have to pay for shipping.

Why return it now, just keep it use the other many ports that work fine?

The CPUs are great overclockers why give that up, you can always exchange later if needed.

I am not using 3gbps ports, only 6gbps ports(which are not affected) so I will probably keep my motherboard. :)

Hmm, I might return my Asus P8P67 WS Revolution before the return period expires and go with a 990x/X58 setup. I know Newegg doesn't except return CPU's, but I could eat the loss and Ebay the 2600k.

Does anyone know if Newegg takes working return RAM without hassle?

They said 5% of the boards may (or may not) be affected after 2-3 years usage, whats all the panic about ? I bet half of the P67 owners will break their boards due to overclocking or in other ways even before this timespan has elapsed anyway. I have my 2 ssd's on the Intel 6gbps ports and will move my 2 storage hdd's to the Marvell ports and then this is a done topic for me.

I'm going to keep on using my board until it's clear I can swap without long delays. I'll then get another board to hold me over until the swap goes through. Until then, I'm going to enjoy my crazy-fast machine and only leave DVD drives plugged into the effected ports.

Don't think this is as OMG as people are making out to be.

Why return it now, just keep it use the other many ports that work fine?

The CPUs are great overclockers why give that up, you can always exchange later if needed.

other many ports? there's only two 6gb ports and four 3gb for intel. Most people use more than two sata ports, and many don't like the crappy marvells.

Don't think this is as OMG as people are making out to be.

Yea, Intel halting production on an entire newly released line of products, taking a BILLION dollar penalty as a result...not a big deal...

I don't know what your definition of 'OMG' is, but this certainly is a huge mess for Intel.

other many ports? there's only two 6gb ports and four 3gb for intel. Most people use more than two sata ports, and many don't like the crappy marvells.

The marvell port's aren't crappy, they work great.

Not sure if this is true but the Marvell Controller seems to have poor write performance, maybe this has already been fixed through UEFI or Driver updates.
hdtach_sata2.jpg

I'm using the Marvell ports for storage now and its working very well but i didn't benchmark anything yet.

two options... RMA it for replacement when the time comes and more are available, or (probably not gonna happen) if they let me keep the old board, buy another 2600k and a case and make a second folding rig.

Where is the choice to keep the board and only request an RMA if it fails? Too many people jump off the deep end way too quickly.

All of the talk about breaking down existing systems and sending them back is ridiculous. If your system is up and running then you should just maintain the status quo until further information is available so you can make an informed decision as what to do. More information will be forthcoming in the next few days so hold tight and see what happens. That is what I plan to do.

All of the talk about breaking down existing systems and sending them back is ridiculous. If your system is up and running then you should just maintain the status quo until further information is available so you can make an informed decision as what to do. More information will be forthcoming in the next few days so hold tight and see what happens. That is what I plan to do.

How about those reaching the 30 day return policy threshold and dont want to take the chance that your manufacturer may screw you over and not fully replace the board.

I will accept nothing less than a full exchange for a BRAND new motherboard when the time comes. None of this refurb crap.

How about those reaching the 30 day return policy threshold and dont want to take the chance that your manufacturer may screw you over and not fully replace the board.

I will accept nothing less than a full exchange for a BRAND new motherboard when the time comes. None of this refurb crap.

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought my MB from Newegg so I'm sure they will create some way to facilitate the return of the defective MB for a replacement. If you bought your MB from some other e-tailer then I would be a little more worried. I learned a long time ago that saving a few bucks by purchasing computer hardware from a shady e-tailer is not worth it if there is a problem.

Back