What would happen IF I uninstalled the AMD processor driver?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a notebook (gateway 7426gx) w/ a MOBILE athlon64 3700+, and was wondering what effects would happen if I uninstalled the AMD processor driver in add/remove programs?

I believe that would disable cool 'n quiet. THat might now cause any harm, but your laptop needs that driver to keep from turning into a hair dryer.

I advise you NOT to do that.

it'd turn into a basic desktop CPU. No CnQ, no power saving, no speed/voltage reduction.

AFAIK anyway.

GLSauron said:
it'd turn into a basic desktop CPU. No CnQ, no power saving, no speed/voltage reduction.
Shouldn't that be controled in the BIOS? My laptop has that controled in its BIOS. No extra drivers for it specifically

It will simply revert to the Windows built in driver. With the built in driver, the laptop will still throttle, however the Windows driver has a bug. The CPU will run at full speed until you put the computer to sleep and then wake it up, it will then run at 800MHz. It won't go back to full speed until you restart it or plug it in. If your wanting to stop the cpu from running at 800Mhz while on battery, then using the Windows driver is a good solution. Just remember that your battery life will be cut. At full speed on my 7422GX (2.2Ghz) my battery only lasts 2 hours, while at 800MHz it lasts 3 hours.

Back