what would u prefere

OC_LeGeND

Limp Gawd
(1) 3.06GHz Intel Mobile Pentium 4 533MHz 478-pin FC-mPGA4 SL7NA (P4-M with HT?)

(2) 3.0E Intel Pentium 4

(3) 3.4Ghz Intel P4 (northwood)

what would be the better overclocker and have better performance?

Number 2. Bet it would OC equal to or higher than the northwood will, plus be a whole lot cheaper.

I say the Northwood too. Only b'c the frontside bus should be higher than the mobile pentium. The Prescott is a bit behind in clock speed, doesn't have much (if any) performance increase over a similarly clocked Northwood, and I believe it runs hotter than the Northwood.

So, option 3 ftw.

My last CPU was a 3.4C and I was able to overclock to 3.8GHz on air. Definately a capable chip.

Para

although, after all this conroe talk, a 12% overclock just doesn't seem to cut it ;)

brucedeluxe169 said:
prescott... high end air will crank that to 4.0

Depends on the stepping, my 3.0E C0 will only do 3.375 stable with a Thermaltake Tower 112 Pure Cu and dual 90mm fans on it.

Edit, i'd rather own a 3.4C w/HT but too expensive for my tastes when kentsfield is just around the corner.

i was considering the northwood since its clocked 3.4Ghz maybe hoping 4.4Ghz or so from it

number 2 i have now i cant go no higher then 280x15 = 4.2Ghz on air, i`d believe i`d benifit from a higher multi with this mobo

but wouldn`t the 512 L2 cache be a slower performer up agianst its prescott brother who has a 1024 L2

OC_LeGeND said:
i was considering the northwood since its clocked 3.4Ghz maybe hoping 4.4Ghz or so from it

number 2 i have now i cant go no higher then 280x15 = 4.2Ghz on air, i`d believe i`d benifit from a higher multi with this mobo

You got phase change man? Those are pretty optimistic numbers. If you can get 25% that's a pretty damn good OC. 3.0 @ 4.2 = 37.5% :eek: 3.4 @ 4.4 = 29%

OC_LeGeND said:
but wouldn`t the 512 L2 cache be a slower performer up agianst its prescott brother who has a 1024 L2
no, the cache isn't an issue becaus there was a pretty good change in arcitecture between the two different cores. I think Prescott was a 31 stage pipeline and Northwood was only 20. Or something like that.

In my personal experience, the higher clocked Northwoods have a little lower OC ceiling than the prescots. Which is why i recommended the prescott. Just my personal experience though.

pigpen said:
You got phase change man? Those are pretty optimistic numbers. If you can get 25% that's a pretty damn good OC. 3.0 @ 4.2 = 37.5% :eek: 3.4 @ 4.4 = 29%
phase change probally wouldn`t help much then agian im not sure what the max fsb is on this mobo and my memory is probally holding me back some to i tried 297x15= 4.4Ghz the computer posts then reboots and re posts agian in a circle

brucedeluxe169 said:
goddamn, prescott really was 11 more stages than northwood?

goddamn, why the hell did they do that...

To gain more mhz, it was a mhz war back then. Conroe changed that.

OC_LeGeND said:
phase change probally wouldn`t help much then agian im not sure what the max fsb is on this mobo and my memory is probally holding me back some to i tried 297x15= 4.4Ghz the computer posts then reboots and re posts agian in a circle

looking at your super pi's, you're getting some throttling. I get 32s with a 3.2 @ 4.1ghz . so yeah, i think you could use better cooling.

Back