What would you do in my situation (which one of these is better)?

Around Black Friday of last year I purchased a 750w OCZ Fatal1ty PSU from NewEgg. From the very start it had this odd... scratching sound that came from the fan. One of the more concerning aspects of the unit was how long it would take for the fan to stop spinning and ultimately stop "glowing" once I turned my PC off.

Luckily for me, PayPal had a promotion going on where if you purchased something through them during the Holiday seasons, and you needed to return it, they would pay the return shipping. After what seemed like a week of back and fourth talk between OCZ and myself I settled on doing an Advanced RMA to take advantage of PayPal's generosity.

My original Fatal1ty 750 has already been mailed off and is due at OCZ HQ tomorrow. However, the aRMA arrived today. When I got the box from the front porch I noticed the box was a lot slimmer than it should be. In a panic I opened that sucker up and noticed that I did NOT get a Fatal1ty 750 unit but instead got a ZT 750.

At this point I should mention a few things. For starters I have already been charged by OCZ for this unit. Second, on paper, the only difference I have noted thus far between the two is that the ZT has a 5mm larger fan on it that does not light up and it is FULLY modular where the other one is not. The ZT has one 12v rail where I think the Fatal1ty has 4? The main reason why I purchased the Fatal1ty was because I also purchased the Temjin TJ08B-E which has the PSU facing up top. I thought the Red LED fan from the Fatal1ty really set off the TJ08B-E.

At this point I honestly do not know what to do. They claim they gave me an "upgrade" but I truly do not know enough about the ZT to agree. I do know that most people like the single rail 12v line and most do not like the Red LED(s). Hell, many do not like OCZ in general and with that said I understand. I guess what I would like to know is what the majority of you would do if you were in my shoes.

Around Black Friday of last year I purchased a 750w OCZ Fatal1ty PSU from NewEgg. From the very start it had this odd... scratching sound that came from the fan. One of the more concerning aspects of the unit was how long it would take for the fan to stop spinning and ultimately stop "glowing" once I turned my PC off.

Luckily for me, PayPal had a promotion going on where if you purchased something through them during the Holiday seasons, and you needed to return it, they would pay the return shipping. After what seemed like a week of back and fourth talk between OCZ and myself I settled on doing an Advanced RMA to take advantage of PayPal's generosity.

My original Fatal1ty 750 has already been mailed off and is due at OCZ HQ tomorrow. However, the aRMA arrived today. When I got the box from the front porch I noticed the box was a lot slimmer than it should be. In a panic I opened that sucker up and noticed that I did NOT get a Fatal1ty 750 unit but instead got a ZT 750.

At this point I should mention a few things. For starters I have already been charged by OCZ for this unit. Second, on paper, the only difference I have noted thus far between the two is that the ZT has a 5mm larger fan on it that does not light up and it is FULLY modular where the other one is not. The ZT has one 12v rail where I think the Fatal1ty has 4? The main reason why I purchased the Fatal1ty was because I also purchased the Temjin TJ08B-E which has the PSU facing up top. I thought the Red LED fan from the Fatal1ty really set off the TJ08B-E.

At this point I honestly do not know what to do. They claim they gave me an "upgrade" but I truly do not know enough about the ZT to agree. I do know that most people like the single rail 12v line and most do not like the Red LED(s). Hell, many do not like OCZ in general and with that said I understand. I guess what I would like to know is what the majority of you would do if you were in my shoes.

OCZ actually gave you a comparable newer model because the Fatal1ty series PSUs have been discontinued.

What I was told on the phone (today) was that they simply did not have any in stock and would be expecting some within a week or three. They "figured" I would not mind getting the ZT and that is why the sent it to me without consulting me.

I do not work for OCZ so I can not say for sure but you could be right. Although, the EOL list for PSU's only list the 700 and 400 units and not the 750.

:(

Back