What you do with 12GB+ desktop?

What you do with 12GB+ desktop memory?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
16 Gb of RAM.

Video editing/converting of gigantic HD video files, and alot of Photoshop CS5.

Intel i7 920 D0 overclocked to 4Ghz on air with 24GB. I use the machine for digital forensics (EnCase Forensic 6, FTK3, and SIFT workstation), malware analysis, and running multiple virtual machines for testing. And when I'm not doing those things, I've got another HD in it running Windows 7 Pro playing video games. :D

Last edited:
24G on my workstation. Mostly VMWare instances in the day and a couple apps that I use some larger RAM drives for.

I have 16GB and I dedicate 4GB to QSoft RAMDisk for Temp/Tmp and temporary Internet files(Browser cache). Along with my 2x Crucial C300 256GBs in RAID 0 and my i7 2600K at ~5Ghz my PC is smokin fast.

I have 16. I run VMs to study different server platforms. I also like having NOT to use hard drive for RAM in windows as much. I also want to upgrade to 32GB when Bulldozer comes out or socket 2011 and run a HUG ram disk and run the primary game I am playing at the time from that disk for ZERO load times and stutter.

I am learning that Sandy Bridge can be unstable with 16GB of ram without proper voltage tweaks in place it seems.

But what I dont understand is how the chip is designed to address 32GB yet its slightly unstable for some people at only 16.

Pinnacle/Vegas/Premiere video editing on a larger scale.....but my one customer does OK with a dual core and 4GB for Gods sake!

Granted, these are not exactly big screen blockbusters but we have no issues and can pretty much edit real time..

http://vimeo.com/18487321?ab

18gb, 24gb on my other machine. Used for designing chips, only rarely need more than 12 though so I'm thinking of downgrading my 18gb machine to 12gb of faster ram

Testing VM's. Chews through all of my available RAM when I try running a few at once.

I have an ESX box, but it has a Q6700 processor. I planned on making my current i7 my new ESX box when the 2011 pin chips come out. I bought 16GB for that reason, but I also run VMware workstation on it while I am waiting for the new chips.

Back