What you take?

Whats your take on Seagate HDD?

• Total voters

CubanBlood

Weaksauce
I need to buy some HDD and i cant wait for pirces to come down. I have never been a big fan of Seagate but their are some what cheap right now.
What do you think of the Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB ST320005N4A?

It really depends on the drive. I have a Seagate 400GB drive that I bought in 2005 that still works great. Never even had an issue with it once. However, over the last couple of years, there were some drives shipped by them that had firmware issues and died prematurely and gave Seagate a bad rep.

Before that happened, SeaGate had the same rep as WD.

All in all, I like Seagate.

I've owned a few... and have not had any problems... That being said, I'm fairly indifferent. There are some manufacturers that are better, and some that are worse... IMHO.

Anything but WD Green really. But if given then choice I stick with Hitachi's.

Their 2008 models were pretty bad if you judge that by the percentage of them that I RMA annually at work. Although statistically I can't say much. I only have around 75 Seagate drives. I have only purchased 4 Seagate drives since 2008. These were momentus XT drives and 1 of them failed.

Portable-class is great.
Desktop-class from 2011-present is good, past-2010 are garbage.
Nearline-class are excellent, though pricey.
Online-server-class such as their Cheetah line are some of the best enterprise-grade drives I've personally used, in and out of an enterprise environment.

As for WD, their current Green and Black drives are complete shit with anything beyond 1.5GB HDDs.
If you go with WD, stick with 500GB-1TB models, or go with their Blue drives.

WD has really dropped the ball as of late, and it seems Seagate is there to pick it up.

Hitachi seems to be the most reliable at work. Although I only have around 35 of those.. Out of these (mostly 2TB 7K2000s and 7K3000s) only 1 has failed in the last 1.5 years.

Last edited:
Hitachi seems to be the most reliable at work. Although I only have around 35 of those.. Out of these (mostly 2TB 7K2000s and 7K3000s) only 1 has failed in the last 1.5 years.

Those are the drives they use at work also. I got one from there to trying its performance. So far so good. I ran a stress test on it and it did good. Will se how it turns out.

I used to buy Seagate exclusively years ago until all of their drives became noisy. What led me to buying Seagates though was the high failures I experienced with Western digital.

Now I'm back to buying Western Digis because they are very solid, have/had great warranties and are pretty damn quiet. I would not be surprised if I went back to Seagate in the future because like all tech companies , their products and services have their highs and their lows.

If I were to buy a drive today though I'd look at what Samsung have price per dollar/ratio. I think they are even better than the WD Blacks.

I like number so it helps me put the users opinion in numbers.:confused:

Reason I ask is, are there any data to suggest a correlation of higher/lower failure rates to respective manufacturers? The poll seems like it may turn into an instance of this.

Reason I ask is, are there any data to suggest a correlation of higher/lower failure rates to respective manufacturers?

Yes and No. Officially I dont think so, but the users dont lie. The ones that buy the HDD and use them are a better source that some study conducted by a so call " expert" .

They may be 100% honest, but where's the aggregate? I've had drives fail from all manufacturers. I can't pinpoint an outstanding one in my mind.

Back