What's a good $120 card

tpfaff

2[H]4U
I currently have an 8800gts g92 and it just doesnt keep up in bad company 2. I figure something around $120 would be significantly better than my card. Looking for a decent card that will hold up in bc2 and will be good for bf3. I've decided to get a decent card now and upgrade my processor/mobo/ram in the summer. The other option was to spend about $300 on a card this summer and keep the same processor thats in my sig. What do you guys think the better option is?

What resolution are you playing at? If you have any hopes of playing BF3 on higher details on with 1920x1080 or higher a 5770 will likely start to struggle.

To be honest that E6400 is likely holding you back. BC2 takes advantage of quad cores to the point there is a good difference between dual ones. When BF3 comes out you will have a even bigger issue. Have you considered just doing a new build? Come this summer there will be good competition given Bulldozer will finally come out. Hell right now the 2500K at $200 is a good buy.

What resolution are you playing at? If you have any hopes of playing BF3 on higher details on with 1920x1080 or higher a 5770 will likely start to struggle.

To be honest that E6400 is likely holding you back. BC2 takes advantage of quad cores to the point there is a good difference between dual ones. When BF3 comes out you will have a even bigger issue. Have you considered just doing a new build? Come this summer there will be good competition given Bulldozer will finally come out. Hell right now the 2500K at $200 is a good buy.

Well thats the issue I'm having, its either get a cheaper card today and get the rest of the system rebuilt in the summer, or keep the current system and get a nice video card this summer, I only have the cash for one of these options. I play at 1680x1050 but have hopes of going 1080 someday

Nvidia 460 768MB will be your best bet at that price range. It's going to be much better than the 5770.

If you are not in a rush then sometimes there are nice deals on the 1gb version and/or similar ATI cards for around 130-140$ (assuming you can squeeze in a bit more cash), you just have to be a bit patient and hawkish getting on top of the deal.

EDIT: I just realized that you put this in the AMD section, if you are totally bent on getting an ATI card then disregard my suggestion, but I will leave it up anyway.

Last edited:
The new 6790 should be released in the next week or so, for +/-$130 you'll get a lot more performance than a 5770 has to offer.

It's seems it's going to be a disabled 6800 core, so it'll use more power though.

As mentioned the best deal seems to be the 5870 at $170, hard to beat that price/performance ratio!

6850 isn't bad if you can push it, there's a few deals around for 140-150 after rebate. I hear it overclocks well.

The new 6790 should be released in the next week or so, for +/-$130 you'll get a lot more performance than a 5770 has to offer.

It's seems it's going to be a disabled 6800 core, so it'll use more power though.

As mentioned the best deal seems to be the 5870 at $170, hard to beat that price/performance ratio!

I'll definitely keep an eye on this

i'd hold out for that 6790 but if not the 5770 is an excellent choice. i have one myself and love it, 1920x1200 runs anything.

my previous 5770 worked well at 1920x1080. they're also great overclockers.

Maybe wait for the 6790. They'll be released April 5th for around $130.

It's too bad that the 6790 is apparently delayed, I would've bought it in a heartbeat with neweggs 48 hours $25off special

Back