what's a good program to use for transferring video from a DVC to your comp

jamestime88

[H]ard|Gawd
the video camera is a JVC GR-D22u. I need a good program to import the video, windows movie maker only lets me hold 24 minutes of "high quality" video on my HDD, plus doesnt have many features.

the program should be relatively easy to use (interface wise). I'd rather have freeware, but I'm okay with spending upwards of $80 if it's worth it.

my goal is to transfer video from both my vcr (connected through tv tuner) and my digital video camera to my computer where i can edit and burn it onto a dvd. I would also like to have this dvd be playable in most stand-alone dvd players.

I use Adobe Premiere 6.5. The amount of space for Native DV Quality is 5 minutes per gig.
Some DV Camcorders will allow video input through the RCA's on the camcorder and will pass it through to the Firewire port, that way you can get the video into the computer in the highest possible quality. I am not sure how the quality of the newer TV tuner cards are, but back in the day they were only decent at bringing in video that would stay on the PC, higher resolution capturing would result in dropped frames during capturing.

If you plan on going out to a DVD-R to play on a standalone DVD Player on a TV then I would suggest not compressing the video until the very end, when you make the DVD-Compliant MPEG-2 file(s).

Have a lot of free hard drive space available for capturing and for making the DVD files.

thanks man. but uhhh, anyone know where i can get a "sample" version of adobe premiere? isnt the program like $500 to purchase?

i have an extra 60 gig HDD lying around, will it be possible to spread the video across both my hard drives.

do you think that only having 512mb of ram will really slow my comp down with this?

Sony Vegas and Pinnacle Studio 9(not 8, 8 sucks) are real good programs for MiniDV stuff.....Adobe is good if you want to add tons and tons of special effects...But for the most part Sony and Pinnacle can do all that, plus it is alot cheaper...

Back