What's a good UPS brand?

royjr

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking I'm going to need an UPS to protect my poor comp. from these ocassional power "flickers" that we've had in the past month or so. I'm wondering what a good brandname is, so I know what to look for when I purchase one. Seeing how heavy the batteries inside of them are, I'll be purchasing one locally.

I'd like to try and stay away from Conex brand. I bought one at my local Staples about 2 yrs ago and the battery shorted out only after 3 months. :(

Thanks!

The APC's are very popular ... I'm using a Belkin for more than 2 years now ...

Belkins and APC are popular. I am running a APC 500 and it is performing great.

I was looking at the APC 500 actually, I also see that Staples has an Energizer 600va on Clearance for only $49. Hmmmm.....

I've had APC's on department servers I've run. Solid and reliable; it'd be my first choice if I had to buy one.

Regards - B.B.S.

Originally posted by BlindedByScience
I've had APC's on department servers I've run. Solid and reliable; it'd be my first choice if I had to buy one.

Regards - B.B.S.

I agree with BBS on this one. APC is the way to go if you want a good UPS.

Would the APC 500va suffice my needs?

My rig :
-P4 2.8
- 3x HDDs
- 2x CD-ROMS
....4x 80mm fans & a 120mm fan

- as well as my 21" Trinitron that says it consumes 140W

Would that give me at least 2-3 minutes to power down?

Stay away from Tripp-lite. I've had 3 units flat out dying on me right after 2 year warranty period.

Ok, I went with the Belkin 650va USB from Newegg for $60.99. Dayum! They charged about $40 LESS than Staples, and I got free shipping with it! :)

i have a APC 250 IIRC (i dont remember the number), I got it for free from black friday, havent noticed anything amazing about it...then again the power hasnt gone out since Ive gotten it :rolleyes:

i love my APC 800, i got it for employee price at best buy, i don't remember what that was though...

it works VERY nice though, i have had the power drop out on it, also the AVR is very good, err well i think so at least, the lights downstairs dim really bad, yet my monitor NEVER shows any signs
1st time me testing, 2nd time when i fliped a breaker wiring stuff in the hallway, it was labled "lights" NOT rooms... but it saved me and my Folding till i could figure out wtf that beeping was

I run APC and always have . The software that comes with it is second to none.

Originally posted by Kenbo
Stay away from Tripp-lite. I've had 3 units flat out dying on me right after 2 year warranty period.

Huh. My two oldest UPS's are Tripp-Lite. No problems with either after 4 years. I also have had no problems with APC.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure they will all explode within a week.

To answer your second question, royjr, 650va (from your new belkin...good choice) should run your setup for 20 or so minutes before imminent doom.

Originally posted by KingoftheBritons
To answer your second question, royjr, 650va (from your new belkin...good choice) should run your setup for 20 or so minutes before imminent doom.

Thanks. Even if it's a rough estimate, that's very re-assuring. I just want to make sure I have enough time to close/save everything I need, and do a proper shutdown. :)

I'd love to get a UPS, but seeing how I have 6 computers and two monitors to power, I think it would be a bit too expensive to do this.

The school has about 30 or 40 APC UPS units. One was dead, but the others worked fine. :)

Back