What's Faster?

Project_2501

[H]ard|Gawd
Is an X800 Pro faster than an X800XL? I have approx. $300 - 350 to spend on a videocard (read: ATi). Thanks for any help. And, no, I can't save more, I have 1k to spend on a whole system.

Specs:

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra D (no need for SLI)
Hewlett-Packard LightScribe DVD/RW
A64 3000+
Enermax NoiseTaker 485W
OCZ Ram that I have already (in this computer, I have a spare gig.)
WinXP Pro
no sound card (bustbuy locally get's em, will get an audigy2 zs later)
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitec MX-518 mouse, Whatever media keyboard for $30
Little Media workstation/testbed
Zalman 7000series sopper HS/F

Really, now? Hmm, okay, thanks. I'd just prefer to see some benchies, anyone? And I'd rather get the 16 pipe card, as I can try to OC the core the extra 80 mhz to get the pro core spec. with some aftermarket cooling.

Project_2501 said:
Really, now? Hmm, okay, thanks. I'd just prefer to see some benchies, anyone? And I'd rather get the 16 pipe card, as I can try to OC the core the extra 80 mhz to get the pro core spec. with some aftermarket cooling.
Pro=475/475 12 Pipes, XL = 400/500.

XL is faster :D

Core clocks and Pipes don't always mean that one is faster than another.

and X800Pro 480/900
X800XL 400/980

yeah, unless you can mod the the pro to XT/PE the x800xl will be faster. The pro only has 12 pipes while the XL/XT have 16.

I have an x800XL, and as far as I can see, it beats out most pro's. Stable oc up to 490/585 or so on stock cooling (keep in mind this is an AGP AIW card though). On everything I've seen though, I'd have to say go XL

The keeper of the 3DMark05 list speeks!

Average score for X800 XL out of 19 cards is 5,209.
Average score for X800 Pro out of 41 cards is 5,235.

The average Pro score is slightly higher because some of those 41 Pros have been moded.

I am pretty sure that these high X800 Pro scores are results of modding.
User-----------------Score---OC----------Driver
Nappo--------------7,140
bubblethumper--6,387----684/651
Steve---------------6,141----524/556----4.9
WEZ----------------6,006----513/573

well just read any of the x800xl reviews, its on par with that of a 6800 GT. And all the x800 pro reviews have it just below that of a 6800 GT.

The Pro VIVOs are good choices if you want to take a small risk. As they are only 12 pipe cards you do have a small risk of the pipes not modding, but i think the going rate for mods is about 97-98%+ (unless they've stopped it?). One advantage the Pro will have is that it OCs alot better in most cases, so if you can mod the pipes open, a Pro will beat an XL. I have my X800 Pro at 16 pipes with a 550MHz core, with no volt mods at all. Not something you'll see with many XLs.

DarkBahamut said:
The Pro VIVOs are good choices if you want to take a small risk. As they are only 12 pipe cards you do have a small risk of the pipes not modding, but i think the going rate for mods is about 97-98%+ (unless they've stopped it?). One advantage the Pro will have is that it OCs alot better in most cases, so if you can mod the pipes open, a Pro will beat an XL. I have my X800 Pro at 16 pipes with a 550MHz core, with no volt mods at all. Not something you'll see with many XLs.

Hes going PCI-E, PCI-E Pros dont unlock

Ah, didnt know they stopped it on the PCI-E cards. XL will be better for sure if you cant get the pipes on the pro.

No, the PCI-Es can unlock, but that doesn't matter. I already ordered everything, and it'll be here by tuesday. The computer will be running soon after that.

Back