Whats more stressing Half-Life 2 or Doom 3

Mons said:
The temps on my GT are higher when I play Doom.

my temps with doom3 are actually lower than the temps i get when playing farcry.

rcf1987 said:
just wanna know

Stressing in what way exactly?

Elaborte

Also, nobody can know anything about HL2 performance until it is released and installed on peoples computers.

seeing as how i was around 50-60 fps in doom 3 on ultra settings and 130 fps all maxed out on CS:S, im gonna go with doom 3 being more stressing

Huh? Since we are in the video card section I assume we are talking about on VC's? Doom3 easy. Even HL2 makers will probably admit the graphics arent ground breaking. You can play HL2 at higher settings than farcry and doom3 easy. I mean 9800 pro's do damn good. I say common sense says Doom3 instead.

Mushroom Prince said:
I'm going to have to go with halflife 2 being more stressing, just based on common sense.

Common sense would say Doom 3 imo.

A better comparisoin would be CS: S or Doom 3 imo as well. I just got this feeling that your never gonna see 40+ characters running and gunning and making the havoc engine really going into overdrive in Half Life 2.

Grant it though if Half Life 2 ever had 40+ characters (non scripted) going all out it would probably give Doom 3 a good run for the money.

But like the other guy said I got a hell of a lot more fps in CS: S (when on a small server or when nothing is really happening) than I ever will in Doom 3

HighwayAssassins said:
seeing as how i was around 50-60 fps in doom 3 on ultra settings and 130 fps all maxed out on CS:S, im gonna go with doom 3 being more stressing
CS:S has no AI or anything. Wait for Half Life, where the CPU has to actually make characters move around and think and stuff.

I find the same thing as some other posters....

Farcry seems to be the most taxing, at least in terms of heat generated.

Doom3 doesn't seem to be as bad!

I think Doom 3 Is more Video Card Stessing, while HL-2 Will probably be more CPU stressing.

Just a thought.

KingPariah777 said:
CS:S has no AI or anything. Wait for Half Life, where the CPU has to actually make characters move around and think and stuff.

thats a good point, but using more CPU is not gonna take me from 130 fps to less than 60

I think that far cry is probably the most stressing, due to valve and ids much superior coding. I can run high quality 1280x1024 8xaf in doom3 and 1280x1024 4xaa 8xaf all settings max in CS:Sand get very good framerates in both (50+ pretty much all the time in both), but have to tun down some settings in far cry to get 1280x1024 with good framerates.

homIcIde said:
I think that far cry is probably the most stressing, due to valve and ids much superior coding. I can run high quality 1280x1024 8xaf in doom3 and 1280x1024 4xaa 8xaf all settings max in CS:Sand get very good framerates in both (50+ pretty much all the time in both), but have to tun down some settings in far cry to get 1280x1024 with good framerates.

Far Cry is more stressing because its doing alot more, specially on the graphics side paticularly in the outdoor levels. Its not just about polygon counts. Depending on alphas, types of shaders being used, how much of that shadre is taking up the screen, it all comes into play. Over all these three engine are similiar in capabliites, Far Cry is able to do one extra thing that is outdoors with alot of alpha objects.

rancor said:
Far Cry is more stressing because its doing alot more, specially on the graphics side paticularly in the outdoor levels. Its not just about polygon counts. Depending on alphas, types of shaders being used, how much of that shadre is taking up the screen, it all comes into play. Over all these three engine are similiar in capabliites, Far Cry is able to do one extra thing that is outdoors with alot of alpha objects.

are there any available mods or levels to see how stressful the doom3 engine is outdoors, saw pics of large levels for quake4 and was wondering how stressful that will be

unfortuanally no :/ its much harder to make mods for these games now, since the use of normal mapping means high poly models well mod teams have thier work cut out for them :), its hard enough to hire people that can do that level of artwok let alone get them to do it for free

Ummm... no one knows until HL2 comes out.

God I hope HL2 comes out soon, just so these speculative posts will stop.

Well with Steam selling lots, I"m sure VUGames doesn't want to keep losing sales. Expect HL2 soon.

Im amazed at how people can claim one or the other, "for sure". The fact is, you dont know.

My opinion is that HL2 might be. The only reason I say this is that is has a lot more outside levels, and they are huge. Looks to be more action at one time on the screen too.

The FX cards will do much better in Doom3, and in HL2 when running DX9 will be horribly slow. If CS:S is anything do go by when comparing DX8 and DX9 paths and FX cards.

fallguy said:
Im amazed at how people can claim one or the other, "for sure". The fact is, you dont know.

My opinion is that HL2 might be. The only reason I say this is that is has a lot more outside levels, and they are huge. Looks to be more action at one time on the screen too.

The FX cards will do much better in Doom3, and in HL2 when running DX9 will be horribly slow. If CS:S is anything do go by when comparing DX8 and DX9 paths and FX cards.

Well you don't know the finite reasons of what is more intestive and what is not thats why you think the HL 2 engine is more stress full,

It might end up more stress for the cpu. So the end results are Doom 3 or Half life 2, depends on what part of the system you are looking at.

Whats more stressing Half-Life 2 or Doom 3
Hmm, i would have to say Doom3 is deffinitely more stressing as i spent 60dollars on it and havent touched it since the second day, and i havent payed anything for HL2....yet. :)

rancor said:
Well you don't know the finite reasons of what is more intestive and what is not thats why you think the HL 2 engine is more stress full,

It might end up more stress for the cpu. So the end results are Doom 3 or Half life 2, depends on what part of the system you are looking at.

Which is why I said in my opinion, and that it might be. Saying one way or the other right now for sure is ignorant. Because the fact is, we dont know.

Judging from screenshots I'd certainly say Doom3. CS:S doesn't look very impressive visually. Not even on Far Cry level, let alone D3.

-MrD

DOOM 3 at ultra settings is the only game that asks for over 1 gig of memory and is the only game that actually takes advantage of 256 memory video cards. Just imagine what this does to your video card. Time for this thread to be closed, too easy... :p

Doom 3 on Ultra would theoretically use all the texture memory in a 512 MB video card. I don't know if other games have settings that would even use all the memory on a 256 MB video card.

SUPERFLOP said:
Hmm, i would have to say Doom3 is deffinitely more stressing as i spent 60dollars on it and havent touched it since the second day, and i havent payed anything for HL2....yet. :)
Yeah, the fact that I spent 50 dollars for what is basically a single player Quake 2 with pretty graphics stresses me out too.

Back