What's my best upgrade route from my current setup? Soundcard/amp/headphones

GenBanks

Gawd
Right, basically I was hoping you guys could help sort me out... my audio situation is a bit of a mess I think.

At the moment I use the 'Quantum Wave' riser sound card included with my Big Bang Xpower mobo (which uses a combination of Realtek software and this thing called THX TruStudio PC). I also have an X-Fi Titanium Fatality sound card sitting on a shelf, however, because I sold the PC it used to be in.

I've got a set of Z-5500 speakers, plugged into the Quantum Wave's analogue outputs, and I have Sennheiser HD595s which I plug into my case's front panel audio connectors when needed. I use my system mainly for gaming (and used to have a headset but it broke).

I'm looking to upgrade both the sound processing bits and the headphone bits. I know the AD700s are good and frequently recommended to gamers, but am I right in thinking that they wouldn't really be much of an upgrade from my HD595s? Anyway, it would be nice to also have some closed back headphones to block out sound at LAN parties. So the A700s or A900s perhaps? Any suggestions would be welcome. Alternatively, some other headphones or even headset recommendations would be good as well, but having read plenty of other [H] threads the consensus in this forum does seem to be in favour of headphones+separate mic :)

Something else I'm considering is to get Astro MixAmp for the headphones.

In terms of soundcards, meanwhile, I'm thinking of the Titanium HD, Sonar Essence or maybe just installing my Xfi Titanium Fatality and then using the MixAmp for the headphones?

Above are my ideas, but any and all suggestions would be enormously appreciated :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unless you want to go with a closed headset, I would stick with the 595s - I'd say the AD700 is at best a side-grade. The 595s are only 50ohm, so you can probably drive them adequately with just the X-Fi Titanium's built-in amp.

So you say I should buy a Titanium HD? Because I was under the impression that the older Fatality thing I have doesn't have a built in amp...

The titanium hd doesn't have a built in amp.The card can drive headphones unto 33 ohms max.Check out the dedicated thread on the card

So you reckon I should get the Sonar Essence then, cukoodukoo? I'm pretty sure that has a built in amp if I remember correctly. Or I could keep my current older Titanium Fatality (not Titanium HD) and buy the Astro Mixamp, perhaps?

So you reckon I should get the Sonar Essence then, cukoodukoo? I'm pretty sure that has a built in amp if I remember correctly. Or I could keep my current older Titanium Fatality (not Titanium HD) and buy the Astro Mixamp, perhaps?

If all you want is a headphone amp, why not just buy something like the Fiio E5 (or E9, if you want to spend more). Should be plenty to drive the 595s, which are only 50 ohms. For that matter, something like the Xonar DG, which has a built-in headphone amp, would work pretty well also (and only costs $16 after rebate). What don't you like about your existing setup?

Well I don't know what I want that's the thing... I'm not very knowledgeable about amps or other equipment. I'm trying to find out how to improve my system.

I've got the Quantum Wave sound card that was packaged with the motherboard in there at them moment.
The Titanium Fatality on the shelf, I'm assuming it'll be better right? But what I'm trying to understand is whether it will allow me to get the most out of my speakers and particularly my headphones.

I was considering the Mixamp because of the dolby headphone surround it provides, the mic/sound balance knob, and (although not as important to me) compatibility with consoles. But I suppose if I got a sound card geared towards headphones, perhaps with a built in amp to get the best out of the hd595s, I wouldn't need that...

Also, what is my best option for a closed back headphones?

Your best bet might be to just try something like the Xonar DG - it's only $16 after rebate, so it's not much of a risk, price-wise - it will likely provide better sound quality than what you have now and it has a built-in headphone amp, and Dolby Headphone, so it probably does all you need.

I am in the same boat as you are.From what I have read...If gaming is your priority consider the x fi card and add an external amp if you need in the future.If music and movies are your primary purpose invest in an asus card.Keep me posted about your experience.I am waiting for a good deal on the Xfi for now.

Back