What's the best, feature packed LGA1150 motherboard with M.2?

RandysWay

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have an ASUS Z87 Pro with an Intel 4770K. My Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard to support the new Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD.

Availability for the ASUS Z97 Pro looks pretty scarce; I typically buy ASUS motherboards, but what is everyone's favorite, most feature packed LGA1150 motherboard with M.2?

Seems like a pointless upgrade to me. Fork out over $200 for just a new motherboard to add a drive that in daily use you won't see or benefit from any added speed. Save the money and just buy a second 970 now.

Seems like a pointless upgrade to me. Fork out over $200 for just a new motherboard to add a drive that in daily use you won't see or benefit from any added speed. Save the money and just buy a second 970 now.

I wasn't aware that you knew what I run on my drives.

Currently, just a Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card and an EVGA GTX970. I'll probably pick up a second GTX970 in the future to SLI.

Z97 motherboards are all over the place about how they handle m.2 and if you're planning to do SLI, a sound card and an m.2 SSD, you need to really pay attention to what using the m.2 slot disables on the rest of the motherboard. On some Z97 boards you wouldn't be able to use SLI. You might want to consider going to Z170 just to avoid all that.

For example, read about what Asrock's Ultra m.2 does on its Z97 motherboards, keeping in mind that the Samsung 950 Pro is a PCI-E 3.0 x4 card.

Back