whats the best hsf that fits in a qpack?

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
as the title says, whats the hands down best air cooling available that fits into a qpack:
a) no modding
b) yes modding, but nothing visible from outside (windowless case, no cutting of the shell)

im guessing a) zalman 7700 - alcu or just cu?
and b) xp-90 with a panaflo?

the AMD stock fan that comes with the FX55 or the Dual Cores with 1MB Cache are the best in my opinion. Cheap, so easy to mount that a caveman can do it, 4 heatpipes, and excellent temperatures.

The new stock heatsink for the dual core opterons look even more promising with 8 copper heatpipes.

-dan

The Zalman 7700 might be too large in diameter depending upon the location of the processor socket. A friend of mine has a 7000cu in his q-pack, and it fits (and cools well, and is quiet).

XP-90 Won't fit at all, it's too tall. For most mATX mobos the Zalman 7000 is the best heatsink, either ALCU or all Copper, both are good... some mobos may suppor the 7700, but I can't say for sure which ones. I have a Jetway A210GDMS and the 7700 is too big, but the 7000 has done great...

hows the amd stock heatpipe cooler stack up against the zalman 7000?

I got this with a 92mm fan on it.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx6400-V.asp

sff1.jpg

sff2.jpg

That's what I have. It would be the best with a high speed fan. Also noisy. You can mod a 92mm on it, though.

Personally, if I had an X-Qpack I would cut out the aluminum blockage and stick an XP-90 there. ...or better yet, Zalman 9500, if it fits!

The 92mm panaflo I have on here is pretty quiet. Not much modding involved...

Right on. Ya just push out the tabs, right? Simple.

I superglued some rubber washers and used some bolt/nuts for mine, since the fan hub keeps it somewhat elevated. You could get by with the push screws they give you.

is the xp90 better than the swiftech one, assuming they both have the same fan? and is the zalman better than both?

XP-90 is the best all around, but requires modding. Swiftech & Zalman are about the same at low speeds, but the Swiftech can use a higher speed fan. It's also twice as expensive.

are we talking about the same zalman one? i forgot to put which one i meant, sry, i meant the new heatpipe one (9500?). is the xp90 still better than that one? the cnp9500 might not even fit with modding, though, so it might not even apply.

How much modding do you need to do to fit the XP-90 in? Is it worth it?

i think if you need the additional cooling it's worth it. i think its only a little bit of modding if u use a low profile fan.

I have a Zalman 7700 on the Biostar Tforce motherboard and it fits fine. It also provides enough airflow to keep all my components cool (esp the northbridge and the memory). Definately recommend it.

My setup:
Chemning (Qpack OEM) Case - same case as Qpack but only 1 window on the side (I hated the 3 window layout but wanted 1 window)
Biostar Tforce motherboard
AMD Opteron 146 w/ Zalman 7700AlCu HSF
2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix
eVGA 7800GT w/ Zalman VF700CU HSF
Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Lite-on DVD +/- RW Drive
Lite-on DVD-Rom Drive
Floppy Drive
74gb Raptor
36GB Raptor (i know its a waste but I got this for super cheap :) )
Seasonic S12 600w Power Supply
Zalman northbridge Heatsink (forgot the model number)

Everything fits in the case pretty easily and I was amazed at the case design.

do you guys think one of those arctic cooling freezer hsf would fit in a Qpack?

basically im asking whats the tallest hsf that will fit.

gssethi said:
I have a Zalman 7700 on the Biostar Tforce motherboard and it fits fine. It also provides enough airflow to keep all my components cool (esp the northbridge and the memory). Definately recommend it.

My setup:
Chemning (Qpack OEM) Case - same case as Qpack but only 1 window on the side (I hated the 3 window layout but wanted 1 window)
Biostar Tforce motherboard
AMD Opteron 146 w/ Zalman 7700AlCu HSF
2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix
eVGA 7800GT w/ Zalman VF700CU HSF
Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Lite-on DVD +/- RW Drive
Lite-on DVD-Rom Drive
Floppy Drive
74gb Raptor
36GB Raptor (i know its a waste but I got this for super cheap :) )
Seasonic S12 600w Power Supply
Zalman northbridge Heatsink (forgot the model number)

Everything fits in the case pretty easily and I was amazed at the case design.

You don't happen to have a pic of this do you? I'd like to see it. Thinking of doing the same thing.

Those with the Jetway Pro....

I have this, just so you can see for reference:

Nothing touches. Which is good. :D

Nice Tiny, what model is that northbridge heatsink and how much was it? Also isi t much better than the stock heatsink? Thanks

Jelic said:
Nice Tiny, what model is that northbridge heatsink and how much was it? Also isi t much better than the stock heatsink? Thanks

The NB cooler is the Zalman Northbridge Cooler ZM-NB47J. I got mine at Newegg cause I was ordering a bunch of other stuff and at the time was free shipping for that item. But Jab-tech.com has it for $6.

It is much better than the stock one. Much more surface area and it is nicely cooled by the Zalman CPU cooler. With the stock one, I was getting temps in the high 40's 10 minutes after booting up. Now they don't get above 32, and that is when I was testing it using the onboard video.

I did have a CoolerMaster BlueIce ( looks like a mini Hyper 6 ) but it was to big and hit into the CPU cooler and the back of my 7800gt. As you can see in the pic from my last post....nothing touches. Which I reeeeeeeealy like. :)

Here is a closer pic:

and here is how my Qpack innards are currently, cause I am waiting for a new PSU:

What kind of PSU did you get? I'm interested because it looks kind of tight and I'm sure my Powerstream 520 won't fit ;).

Thanks...I'll look into it when I decide whether or not to ditch this Ultra-D in favor of a Qpack and Tforce ;). Just not sure if I'm going to get the same OC out of the Tforce :(.

kirbyrj said:
Thanks...I'll look into it when I decide whether or not to ditch this Ultra-D in favor of a Qpack and Tforce ;). Just not sure if I'm going to get the same OC out of the Tforce :(.

I ditched my dfi, i dont regret it....Tho my OC is different...

Hmmm, Tiny I'm looking at the manual and it says

ZM-NB47J is compatible with all Northbridge chipsets that do not have a built-in graphics chipset.

But I have a Jetway A210GDMS Pro as well and it seems to work fine for you? You havn't had any problems? I just want to confirm before I buy one of these ^_^

kirbyrj said:
http://mountainmods.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_64&products_id=276

I thought about one of those, but I don't like the acrylic and all the lights when I'm trying to sleep. If they made it in black, I'd be all over that like stink on a monkey.

Nothing that say, a can or two of (black/color of your choice) vinyl dye wouldn't be able to accomplish-Just do the side's only, and leave the edges bare..One could do some subtle lighting in that fashion, I suppose.

Satyrist said:
Nothing that say, a can or two of (black/color of your choice) vinyl dye wouldn't be able to accomplish-Just do the side's only, and leave the edges bare..One could do some subtle lighting in that fashion, I suppose.

Yeah, or just not use LED fans ;). Sorry for the thread hijack :eek:

Jelic said:
Hmmm, Tiny I'm looking at the manual and it says

ZM-NB47J is compatible with all Northbridge chipsets that do not have a built-in graphics chipset.

But I have a Jetway A210GDMS Pro as well and it seems to work fine for you? You havn't had any problems? I just want to confirm before I buy one of these ^_^

Yup, works fine. I think they put that in the manual because it acts as a leagal disclaimer since you can't trust people to be smart and make sure there is air flow. But I was running the onboard video playing CSS for 5 hours straight one day when I was waiting for my 7800gt to get here and it did fine. No shutdowns, crashes, or artifacts.

And for those looking at a different case. You could always email these guys and ask them for the plans. :D
http://www.cubedpc.com/index.htm

Back