whats the best video card i can run with this psu?

thats 240 watts ? That would also depend on all the other parts you have running inside of this machine. Please be more specific.

hmmm it says 16a on 12v i would realy get some thing bigger if the vid card needs extra power like atlest a 400w

well i have just a lg cdwriter, maxtor 7200rpm 80gig hd, onboard vid card, onboard sound card, floppy drive, 512mb (256x2 ram sticks) annnnnd that's aobut it reallly, oh and a wireless pci adapter

really just need a card with hardware t&l b/c intel865g doesn't support it.

Elios said:
hmmm it says 16a on 12v i would realy get some thing bigger if the vid card needs extra power like atlest a 400w

yah i've been looking but i can't find anything with the same dimentions

enermax makes some good SFX PSU's. wattage doesn't matter all that much once you break 350W, the amperage and the actual accuracy of the specificaltions are the things you have to worry about.

hmm this might be a little bit off topic so sorry if i should have made a new thread but

for the psu, would i need to buy one with exact dimensions? or is it ok if it differs by a small margin say like 10mm?

a 6800 vanilla which does not require external voltage... I would say...

wahoyaho said:
hmm this might be a little bit off topic so sorry if i should have made a new thread but

for the psu, would i need to buy one with exact dimensions? or is it ok if it differs by a small margin say like 10mm?

if it fits in the case you can probably use it, but they typically wont fit anything thats not exactly the same class of psu, i.e. ATX, AT, SFX. that's SFX so it is precisely SFX sized and will have screw holes for SFX case mounting, and an ATX one will have different holes and will likely not fit in the case if its a MATX case.

6800vanilla? i was looking on bfg site and it says
This Graphics Card Requires:

1. A minimum 300W system power supply

are you sure i can run it with just 240w?

and for the psu so..basically what your saying if i'm stuck with the 240?

wahoyaho said:
yah i've been looking but i can't find anything with the same dimentions

The dimensions only matter if you want to put it where the power supply is supposed to go.
Do you have room else where in your case for a PSU?

Or why not but a full size ATX case for $20.00.

i don't think so the case is pretty crowded as it is lol, there is a support under the psu though so i guess i could put a new one on there and it shouldn't fall since not much earthquakes here or whatnot. just wondering though, how much power would a 9600pro or 6200 take up? and would i need o tget a new mobo if i get a new case?

Even though your mobo is micro ATX it should fit fine in any case. Buy a new case and ps. Spend a few bux, transfer your stuff and be done with it.

Either that or cut a hole in your case and tape a new ps to the side and fish the wires through. :p

wahoyaho said:
6800vanilla? i was looking on bfg site and it says
This Graphics Card Requires:

1. A minimum 300W system power supply

are you sure i can run it with just 240w?

and for the psu so..basically what your saying if i'm stuck with the 240?

Yeah - I thought about that after I said it... it's marginal... you might be able to swing it if your psu is strong... some say "250" but they'll really do 300, that kind of thinking... but that's a big risk to take with a $190 (or so) video card... How about the 6200?

yah i'm thinking i might just gt the 6200 or 9600pro. which would be the better card since both are around the same price

I'd go with the 9700pro personally. Good for an extra 1k points in 3dMark2k3 than
the 9600pro for not a lot of extra cake.

the 6200 has HUGE overclocking potential, from what I have read, and I believe will allow for more advanced "eye candy" effects over a 9700 pro... I would go that route, but that's me. :)

revenant said:
a 6800 vanilla which does not require external voltage... I would say...
Strange, I thought that all 6800nu's had molex connectors on them (at least with the AGP versions).

Back