What's The Very Best Widescreen LCD For PC & Xbox360?

Maul

Weaksauce
Should I go with a WS LCD or a HDTV for PC games, movies, & Xbox360 games (when released)?

I definately want widescreen.

My question is can I get a LCD that does all 3 of the above mentioned well.

I don't want to loose any video quality for the Xbox 360.

In light of this should I go with a HDTV/CRT or is there an LCD that will do 720p & 1080i without loss of image quality?

I've heard about the Dell 2405FPW 24" WS & the HP L2335.

But, I cannot see these at my local stores.

What is the very best widescreen display for PC games, movies, & Xbox360( 720p& 1080i) without any loss of picture quality?

Without any question if you want to use it for a PC monitor as well as games and DVDs go with the 2405FPW. I tested out the few xbox games I owned that support 720p and it looks fantastic. It's now my primary display for all those purposes. I can only imagine what future games and HD-DVD's will look like on it.

Also people talk about scaling resolutions but I really don't notice it at all in games and this is my first LCD. DVD's are like 720x480 resolution so they look crappy if you're sitting an arms length away from the monitor but if you move back 6 feet and sit in a comfortable chair they look awesome.

Thanks for the reply & info.

I have heard LCD's look crappy when not in native res but I've never owned one.

Still huggin on my CRT.

Kinda scared to make the jump to LCD.

So, you say Xbox looks fantastic?

I'm using a CRT & it's my current display for all purposes. With the neoya X2 VGA HD adapter XB games look great in 480p but I want widescreen for the Xbox 360 since every game will support 720p/1080i.

I beleive LCD would be great for my PC games but lack of knowledge & rumors are holding me back.

How does the Dell 2405FPW look in comparison to CRT in 720p & 1080i for XB games?

Is the Dell 2405 the best of any display for what I'm wanting?

Thanks for the help. I need it.

Maul said:
Thanks for the reply & info.

I have heard LCD's look crappy when not in native res but I've never owned one.

Still huggin on my CRT.

Kinda scared to make the jump to LCD.

So, you say Xbox looks fantastic?

I'm using a CRT & it's my current display for all purposes. With the neoya X2 VGA HD adapter XB games look great in 480p but I want widescreen for the Xbox 360 since every game will support 720p/1080i.

I beleive LCD would be great for my PC games but lack of knowledge & rumors are holding me back.

How does the Dell 2405FPW look in comparison to CRT in 720p & 1080i for XB games?

Is the Dell 2405 the best of any display for what I'm wanting?

Thanks for the help. I need it.
No 2405 will be overkill. It supports full 1080P resolution which xbox will not. The max resolution xbox 360 will support will be 1080 which is best displayed on a 1280-768p(fullscreen) and 1366x768p(Widescreen) The best thing would be to get a 30" HD ready LCD. 2405 is a PC LCD which can support high resolutions. You are playing games, focus on getting the biggest LCD which is HD ready. Trust me on this, you dont want to play your xbox 360 anything less then a 27" screen. Games are ment to be played on a big screen;) I have a 50" Plasma and the games look fantastic on HD.

amx said:
No 2405 will be overkill. It supports full 1080P resolution which xbox will not. The max resolution xbox 360 will support will be 1080 which is best displayed on a 1280-768p(fullscreen) and 1366x768p(Widescreen) The best thing would be to get a 30" HD ready LCD. 2405 is a PC LCD which can support high resolutions. You are playing games, focus on getting the biggest LCD which is HD ready. Trust me on this, you dont want to play your xbox 360 anything less then a 27" screen. Games are ment to be played on a big screen;) I have a 50" Plasma and the games look fantastic on HD.

I wouldn't say it would be overkill at all. I'm not quite sure what you mean about your best displayed resolutions - 1080i widescreen is 1920x1080 interlaced, whether on a television or a monitor. As this is almost the native resolution of the Dell 2405FPW, it'll look great. I've already tried out 480P and 720P on my screen, and they both look good, the latter looking best of course. So I can easily recommend the Dell if you're after a decent PC LCD that supports component HDTV input.

I won't argue about size though - obviously the bigger the better! The only advantage to say buying a smaller screen is you end up with a sharper image (i.e. smaller DPI). Playing 4-player splitscreen would be another matter though ;)

I would suggest getting the Westinghouse 32" HD LCD TV. Was just released and is reasonable in price and can be hooked up to all of them and has a great picture for the money. Make sure you get this years models as they are Night and day better over last years models. The Model you would want is the Westinghouse LTV-32W1. I compared it to some of the more expensive models and it holds up well, Much better than the Syntax models in my opinion.

also of note....

any VGA adapter that plugs directly into the Xbox now....will not work with the Xbox360.

The Xbox360 uses a different port than the Xbox.

But if you have a VGA adapter that accepts connections and then outputs them....it will work.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I will be doing a little shopping & more info gathering before I make a final decision on this purchase.

I'll post to inform you which display I go with when I buy.

Until then feel free to continue to post any info you think would be helpful.

What about a good lcd projector? Keep the crt for your pc for normal stuff and blast an image on the wall for the next xbox and hd tv. Screw a 50 inch plasma when you can have a 15 foot wall. You can even paint the wall to make the image quality better or get a good screen.

swatbat said:
What about a good lcd projector? Keep the crt for your pc for normal stuff and blast an image on the wall for the next xbox and hd tv. Screw a 50 inch plasma when you can have a 15 foot wall. You can even paint the wall to make the image quality better or get a good screen.

Want one dispaly to do it all.

I think plasma is out of my price range.

Uh, what about a 30" CRT HDTV?

Xbox games would look good but what about PC games?

Isn't 1080i 1920x1080? How would that work?

I want the picture quality but my $ limit is around 1,000.00.

Still considering the Dell 2405.

Going to look at Best Buy tomorrow.

See what they have to offer.

If you've already got around $1000 to use on a display, just get the biggest HD you can. Plasma last I saw was about $1500 for a 42" but if you go for something more conventional and bulkier, you can probably get comparable largeness for closer to your current budget. 2405FPW is nice especially as it's actually a PC monitor, if you go for that one they do 35% off codes and such fairly often.

ashmedai said:
If you've already got around $1000 to use on a display, just get the biggest HD you can. Plasma last I saw was about $1500 for a 42" but if you go for something more conventional and bulkier, you can probably get comparable largeness for closer to your current budget. 2405FPW is nice especially as it's actually a PC monitor, if you go for that one they do 35% off codes and such fairly often.

Going shopping today @ Best Buy & Circuit City & see what they have.

Gonna look at the DLPs as well.

Hey I saw the Samsung slimfit crt (TX-R3079WH) on their site.

I like.

But, I can't run my PC on this can I ?

This would be what I was looking for if I could.

Does anyone know?

I looked at some LCDs at Best Buy & online but I'm scared of buying one & the motion blur being intolerable.

Ooooh you meant Circuit City. Couldn't find it for shit on Best Buy's site.

Anyway looks like a 30" HDTV. HD looks better than non-HD for a computer display, and if you're going to use a normal monitor primarily and this one for gaming you should be fine, just hook it up to your video card's S-Video out.

Oh no. I meant Best Buy but I mean I went there phisically, not online.

****** Alright, help me here.

Dollars aside, focusing on picture quality....

Which would be the best out of these???????........

1. DLP HL-R4667W (or any of the DLP line)

2. Slimfit TX-R3079WH (CRT)

3. LCD LN-R238W
(samsung.com)

Keep in mind I want to connect PC & Xbox 360.

Do I need a TV with PC inputs or can I just use the DVI connection?

Thanks for the help.

Back