Whats up with all the 3rd person shooters recently?

MYSTic Jedi

Limp Gawd
Gears of War
Lost Planet
Bullet Witch

Among others, it just seems like more 3rd person shooters are coming out than normal. I can stand them, but i perfrer 1st person for that type of game.

Heh, well not many of us have actually played GOW yet so I'd reserve judgement on that one, I'm more of an fps guy myself but I think i'll still get it when it's released, looks fun to me :D

Personally, its a nice change, the 1st person is honestly getting old and stale. 3rd person is a nice new refreshing change. Max payne wouldnt' be nearly as fun in 1st person mode. Lost Planet is freaking awesome in 3rd person, I loved the demo, can't wait for full game! Gears of War looks just beyond kick ass.....

I guess if you don't like it, don't play/buy it.

im not saying i dont like it, its just differant, i mean, they all LOOK awsome, but how they will play out is another story, im just kinda leaniant on 3rd person shooters till i play a few i guess.....

I hate 3rd person. I dont see how guys play games like that. I played the Max Payne 2 demo a couple years ago and thought I was going to puke. I have also tried Just Cause and Tomb Raider. I cant stand having to look at myself when trying to turn or look around. 1st person on a widescreen is the only way I can play game and enjoy it.

so....3 games....makes you ask the question "what's up with all the 3rd person shooters recently?"

:rolleyes:

Coming soon and released not that long ago

Resistance
Crysis
Bioshock
FEAR (expansion and again on consoles for new audiences)
Call of Duty 3
Prey
Huxley
Unreal Tourny 2007
Shadowrun
Halo 3
Turok
Brother in Arms
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (Not an RPG...but not a full on shooter either)
Battlefie;d 2145 or whatever
The Darkness
Red Steel

I mean heaven forbid a slightly different genre pop up once in a while.
And yes I know that's accross a couple of systems but I'm just thinking off the top of my head

Some of us like 1st person, some of us like 3rd person, it's all opinion. Please don't push for games to come out that only you like, there are still plenty of 1st person shooters just released or being developed for the time being.

Personally I miss 2d sidescrollers. You don't see me dropping new posts complaining about genres that I'm not particularly fond of.

The games you listed are for the 360 / console mainly.. (if im not mistaken)

I think developers have finally realized that playing a FPS on a controller is retarted.. and just does not work.. a 3rd person shooter on the other hand is perfectly fine to be used with a controller.

Back in the ps2 days i absolutely loved the socom series.. a perfect example of a great 3rd person shooter.

Also.. if you look at the games that you listed.. they would not be possible if they were in third person.

With Lost Planet you have that grappling hook thing, mecs, etc, etc. Who wants to ride around in a mec in first person view? your range of vision is extremely limited.

With Bullet Witch I think its all about the perspective and the field of vision. You've got all those powers and such, its better to just see a wider range of things.

and with GOW.. its just not a game that would work in FPS.. it would just be another normal fps with insanely awsome graphics.

Also in all 3 games you mentioned.. I'm pretty sure there is a diving feature.. so who wants to see someone dive in first person view?

I am a huge fan of both genre's.. for PC, i prefer FPS, but I also play 3PS on my pc... On my 360 / any other console, I will not play a FPS, why? because after being able to precisely control a play with a mouse.. its impossible to do it with a joystick. Whenever my friends make me play halo2 I get owned.. but I always tell them if I had a mouse and keyboard i would own them.

Just my 2 cents and my personal preference.
I love that more 3ps games are coming out. GG dev's

I can't stand the 3rd person perspective. It just doesn't ever feel right to me. Guess I'm just way too used to the 1st person.

Amazing... :rolleyes:

Reading all of these posts about people not liking 3rd person shooters yet NOT ONE posts anything about hacking the game to make it 1st person. I guess you really do need a $3,000 PC to watch DVDs and sufr the intraweb. ;) ;) ;)

Besides Max Payne traditional 3rd person shooters really never get that popular or remembered for years. But I guess the Matrix and Star Wars Battlefront ones did kinda well. Usually they have some sort of a unique gameplay twist that's not well done in first person or other aspects, like stealth in MGS and Splinter Cell and the open world of GTA. 3rd person shooters have always been there. There have been many budget titles and licesned games like James Bond, Star Wars, Matrix, etc.

Same here k1ng, I will not touch FPS on a console. I've been playing FPS with a keyboard and mouse pretty much since I started to play games. It's just better with precision and speed and also I'm more used to it.

They've been around a while, but in a lot of cases I think the newer technology makes them a little more feasible.
Resident Evil 4 likely opened a lot of eyes to see how good the genre could be, too.

Hulk said:

Reading all of these posts about people not liking 3rd person shooters yet NOT ONE posts anything about hacking the game to make it 1st person. I guess you really do need a $3,000 PC to watch DVDs and sufr the intraweb. ;) ;) ;)
Please explain how to make a 3rd person game be played in 1st person since we are too stupid to figure it out. Also if the developers intended for it to be played a certain way wouldnt that screw up some games?

All I know is that there was a hack for Far Cry to make it 3rd person.

I don't see what this thread has to do with "hacking" a 3ps into a fps... yea its possible.. ON A PC

all games listed are for console.. use ur eyes please.
And yea there are some mods that will mod a 3ps to fps or vice versa.... but if you dont like the genre.. don't buy it. stop complaining. And wtf does a $3000 computer have to do with surfing the 'intraweb' or watching DVD's have to do with this thread.. gg uninstall.

back ontopic. @domingo.. i also agree that RE4 could have opened the eyes of developers.. but it's also just what the developers choose to design. Like I said before you can't do some things effectively in a 1st person view that you could do very well on a third person shooter.

Another game to add - Just Cause.. the game would be impossible to play if it was in an fps perspective because 90% of the features would be gone / retarted.

And again hulk.. you say no1 says anything about hacking a 3ps to fps.. yet you say farcry has a mod to make it 3ps... nice job contradicting urself. I bet the game after modded also played like ass.. cause you just cant change the perspective of a game (unless the dev's made it that way) without killing playability.

On a console I actually prefer 3rd person for some reason. But PC with mouse and keyboard definitely first person.

trek554 said:
I hate 3rd person. I dont see how guys play games like that. I played the Max Payne 2 demo a couple years ago and thought I was going to puke. I have also tried Just Cause and Tomb Raider. I cant stand having to look at myself when trying to turn or look around. 1st person on a widescreen is the only way I can play game and enjoy it.

your loss then.....your going to miss out on a bunch of good games.

JustinSane said:
On a console I actually prefer 3rd person for some reason. But PC with mouse and keyboard definitely first person.
QFT

My thoughts exactly.

I second that QFT

I also cant wait for 9th person shooters...when you are watching yourself shoot from a peeping toms balcony telescope view. :D

Some of the best shooters are 3rd person (Splinter Cell franchise as well as Chronicles of Riddick). Click on the link.

Until console makers invent a good replacement for the keyboard/mouse combo or time travel/cold fusion/perpetuum mobile which ever comes first , we'll be stuck with 3rd person. It's just a way of making fps somewhat fun on a controller I guess. Besides there are diff versions of 3rd person , cinematic view comes to mind which totally ruined gameplay for me in LOK:Defiance.

3rd person games are great IF its a chase cam and I don't have to control the camera too, grandtheft auto annoyed the shit out of me with this.

Now Heretic 2, THAT was a 3rd person shooter :)

IceWind said:
Personally, its a nice change, the 1st person is honestly getting old and stale. 3rd person is a nice new refreshing change. Max payne wouldnt' be nearly as fun in 1st person mode. Lost Planet is freaking awesome in 3rd person, I loved the demo, can't wait for full game! Gears of War looks just beyond kick ass.....

I guess if you don't like it, don't play/buy it.

i'm in the same boat, i really dont enjoy playing FPS's on a console, only on PC, but this third person perspective was enough to get my $5 to reserve a copy of GoW for my 360.....hope it's fun, if not it'll be here or on ebay within 24 hours

FPS on a mouse and keyboard is teh ownage. Console controllers for first person shooters SUCK ASS LIKE A GAY CHUPACABRA.

Console controllers are good for games like MX vs. ATV Unleashed and similar titles, driving games, and the occasional 3PS.

FPS for consoles are gay and mouse and keyboard owns everything else.

from what i understand, you can plug any USB mouse and KB into the 360 and use it, it's just the games that dont support it, havent tried it myself

nobody_here said:
from what i understand, you can plug any USB mouse and KB into the 360 and use it, it's just the games that dont support it, havent tried it myself

Wrong. MS has disabled the ability to use plug and play USB mouse and keyboards on the 360 at a hardware level.

IceWind said:
Wrong. MS has disabled the ability to use plug and play USB mouse and keyboards on the 360 at a hardware level.
Wrong. USB keyboards are in fact supported on the 360. A quick search on this page will provide verification for that.

Hulk said:

Reading all of these posts about people not liking 3rd person shooters yet NOT ONE posts anything about hacking the game to make it 1st person. I guess you really do need a $3,000 PC to watch DVDs and sufr the intraweb.

I gotta know who spends $3k on a PC and doesn't do anything but watch DVDs, play games, and surf the web. I've got a bridge to sell those suckers :D

I've never seen a 3rd person game that could be "hacked" to play in 1st. I *have* seen several FPS that could play in third. Duke3D did it natively, iirc.

Babbster said:
Wrong. USB keyboards are in fact supported on the 360. A quick search on this page will provide verification for that.

And there's a third-party solution for the XBOX to add a standard USB mouse and keyboard. It didn't give significant adavantage, because all the FPS developers speed-limit movement so that a mouse user can't move any faster than a console, and their insane amount of assistance on aiming negates the accuracy of the mouse.

Therein lies the problem of using the mouse on console-centric games; odds are the developers will have taken steps to make it "fair" for controller users by stripping away all the advantages of using anything else.

slickmitch said:
I second that QFT

I also cant wait for 9th person shooters...when you are watching yourself shoot from a peeping toms balcony telescope view. :D

Resident Evil was a reasonable facsimile of what you're talking about. It was apparently viewed from poorly-placed security cameras, so that you couldn't see the zombie standing within striking distance of you.

PopeKevinI said:
Resident Evil was a reasonable facsimile of what you're talking about. It was apparently viewed from poorly-placed security cameras, so that you couldn't see the zombie standing within striking distance of you.

Says your personal OPINION.

after hl2 max payne is prooly the most enojyable game i have played (offline). the 3PS works really well and you hardly notice that your character is in front of you.

Its the mood these games create that is so intense.

Actually, if done right, 3rd person can be enjoyable. Example, I like messing around in FarCry like that, if only the damn guy had an aiming reticule so you don't end up shooting the ground or popping a rocket into the ground 5 feet in front of yourself and blowing your ass to smithereens. :eek: :p

IceWind said:
Says your personal OPINION.

I'm confused. I didn't think the camera angles in RE were opinion.

:confused:

My OPINION is that the gameplay for the original Resident Evil sucked (and RE2, though not quite as much). That's my opinion. But I don't see where you can really argue that there is at least one place in that game where you can be hit by a zombie that is off screen--I saw it myself.

Back