What's up with U.S LCD market???? (compared to Korean's)

Number7

n00b
Considering Korea is the home country of top two pannel makers (Samsung, LG) in the world, it's somewhat understandable why they've got more selections of monitors. That would be the only logic I can think of but I know it isn't the case; the U.S market is quite attractive and international companies are dying hard to capture it. Because of that along with other reasons, same stuff from Samsung and LG sometimes cost more in Korea than U.S.

Now, enter the LCD market and it's a different story. Not only U.S market is more limited but also it's more expensive. Think about a monitor like this:

- 24" S-IPS pannel.
- Built in HDTV tunner.
- Built in Speakers.
- Input : D-Sub, HDMI, DVI, S-VHS, Component, Composite, RF Antenna, PC speaker, S/DIF
- PIP (Picture in Picture)
- Remote Controller
- HDCP

How much is it? Only US $620. You don't like it because it's S-IPS, S-PVA version is available. Do you want TN pannel version of it? Yes, it's availalbe, too.
How about the quality? Koreans are known to be the pickest consumers in the world when it comes down to electronics and if there's a problem, it's out of the market.

How about competition? Searching for 24" x-IPS pannel monitors give me 24 results in Korea, price being $350 ~ $620. All those monitors are specialized in different aspects minimzing the pain of giving up some features in favor of other features or paying extra for the features you don't want.
How about in U.S? You know the numbers and how it is.

How about 24" monitors including all the type of pannels? 163. Now, that's the competition. The competition users can benefit from. Why isn't it here in U.S when the market is so much bigger.
Why aren't there many 3rd-party LCD makers who specializes in making quality monitors like in Korea? Does anyone have any clues?

Price is the only thing that matters to 99% of U.S. consumers. That's why the market is saturated by cheap TN panels. Adding IPS or extra connectors would inflate the price. Also don't forget that the dollar is worthless right now so these companies don't make as much money selling their products here.

I doubt this will ever change. If you don't care about price, then you've got several decent NEC models to pick from.

Price is the only thing that matters to 99% of U.S. consumers. That's why the market is saturated by cheap TN panels. Adding IPS or extra connectors would inflate the price. Also don't forget that the dollar is worthless right now so these companies don't make as much money selling their products here.

I doubt this will ever change. If you don't care about price, then you've got several decent NEC models to pick from.

The thing is Korean currency went down more than U.S dollars in order to stay and win U.S market (That policy has been changed a week ago due to the high oil price).
And, NEC monitors are too expensive for me to consider.

Bah, look on the european market. We have even more limited choice regarding IPS monitors then in the USA and prices here are horrible.
NEC LCD2690WUXi costs ~2030 USD in Czechia including 19% VAT. Even without VAT it is a way more then in the USA (1700 vs 1200 USD).
(Well, at least I didn't have to pay for my university studies :) )

The thing is Korean currency went down more than U.S dollars in order to stay and win U.S market (That policy has been changed a week ago due to the high oil price).
And, NEC monitors are too expensive for me to consider.

Your "dream" monitor is going to be too expensive for you then. You can't have a premium panel with out the price premium.

(Well, at least I didn't have to pay for my university studies :) )

Exactly, I don't wanna hear any complaints from you Europeans! University for me is $45k a year, at least until next year when we can get some government help due to my brothers being in school as well.

So you say the Koreans have better selection of monitors since those companies are Korean, but which monitors are worth buying? Worth buying to me would be a 22" - 30", IPS screen, and preferably some usb ports.

I'm in Korea right now and need a monitor. I want the Doublesight but worried about getting dead pixels and don't want to go through the hassle of shipping back and forth.

Americans do not need LCD. We usually have much larger housing and can deal with a CRT. In Korea the people are much more compacted and if you want a tv that does not take your entire living room then you will buy a LCD.

Exactly, I don't wanna hear any complaints from you Europeans! University for me is $45k a year, at least until next year when we can get some government help due to my brothers being in school as well.

Well, the studies are paid from taxes. Harware is so expensive just because all manufacturers decided to make it so. Not enough stiff competition :-/

Americans do not need LCD. We usually have much larger housing and can deal with a CRT. In Korea the people are much more compacted and if you want a tv that does not take your entire living room then you will buy a LCD.

:D :)

So you say the Koreans have better selection of monitors since those companies are Korean, but which monitors are worth buying? Worth buying to me would be a 22" - 30", IPS screen, and preferably some usb ports.

I'm in Korea right now and need a monitor. I want the Doublesight but worried about getting dead pixels and don't want to go through the hassle of shipping back and forth.

Go to price search sites like www.danawa.com to see what they've got. I'm sure you'll find the one that fits your need and budget as the selections are pretty wide. If you're worried about dead pixels and other issues, get the one that says 무결점, it's pre-tested to ensure there're no problems. The only downside with it is that you pay around $20 more.

BTW, sales tax is included in the price, the price you see is what you pay. If you want to get it right away, ask for quick delivery service(It's a bike delivery service that only cost $20). If you're in Seoul, you'll get the monitor within 2 hours.

Can you read korean? I'm tempted to try and get one of those 30" S-IPS monitors (few different companies sellin em) that are goin for around 600$USD. I live in Japan so I thought shipping might not be too big a deal...

Most of them have pretty ugly designs and simple inputs, but that doesn't bother me too much, the MOTVCNC MOTV MT-3005WQ doesn't look too bad.

Back