What's wrong with my monitor?

DChen117

Gawd
I started getting this on my monitor today after installing some hardware. I tried resetting to factory default and running the built in diagnostic to no avail. It's not the cable, nor the gpu.

The events leading up this this were:

1) I installed a backup UPS today and did a test where I shut off the power so that the battery has to kick on. The UPS has more than enough rating to handle it, and it didn't produce any warning beeps of overloading.

2) I then opened the case to try to locate a rattling noise that turned out to be a fan. In the process of doing this, I made sure all the connections are in entirely and none of the cables are loose. Because I was listening for a rattle, I had the computer on while I was doing this. Eventually I located the offending fan and saw that it was hooked up to a molex adapter that leads to the PSU. Figuring that it wasn't a mobo, I decided to unplug it without turning the system off.

Not a good idea in retrospect, because I noticed that after these two events, I started getting that corrupted image on my monitor. This was a dual monitor setup, and that happened to be the monitor connected to the UPS when I did my test. The other monitor has no such problems. But the corrupted is also attached via DP, which I believe is a two way connection. On top of this, I'm having stability issues with the desktop where the display drivers keep crashing and it has a hard time booting into windows. I'm not sure when the problems started as I did both tasks almost one after another without paying attention. But what are my options at this point?

UPDATE: Ok, after restoring the image for the OS and installing the latest GPU drivers, the computer seems stable now. The monitor is still messed up though.

IMG_20141022_212648_zpsf51579e7.jpg

Last edited:
that looks like burn in from another page but I've never heard it happening so quick so I don't know. You swap monitors to see if it's truly the monitor??

edit: I see you say it's not happening on another monitor. Interesting.

If it would have been CRT, i'd advise to locate that ups further from monitor, as image on them often gets distorted with powerful power/magnetic sources nearby (i had problems when i had hi-fi speakers and amp close to monitor in past). And again, if it would have been crt, i'd suggest to find in it's menus degausing option. But if it is most probably these days LCD, then such burn in / distortion seems too weird to me :/

Did you try using a different connection, ex. VGA, DVI, HDMI, displayport on the monitor?
Did you try using a different connection, ex. VGA, DVI, HDMI, displayport from the GPU?

I tried 3 different cables (DVI -> DVI) (DVI -> DP) (VGA -> VGA), tried plugging it into my laptop as well as the desktop, tried different ports on the desktop.

Nope, the monitor is borked. I called Dell and they want the order number from Dell, but I think my gf bought this from Amazon or BB. So Dell wants me to call them and get the stores order number with dell... really.

At least the comp seems ok...

Back