Whats wrong with my temps?

MaSsAcRe

Weaksauce
Hello everyone.

Ok so I just received and installed my Swiftech H20-220 Ultra kit. Everything seems to be working properly (no kinks, leaks, raidiator has breathing room) but my temps don't seem to be much better than my previous air cooling solution (Zalman CNPS7700).

I'm only cooling the CPU and have it running at stock speeds (s939 A64 3800+ @ 2.4GHz). Here are my temps: CoreTemp was used to measure all temps, and Prime 95 was used to get load temps.

Air cooling
IDLE 40-42
LOAD 46-47

Current
IDLE 40-41 (with raidiator fans on low)
IDLE 37-38 (with raidiator fans on high)
LOAD - 49-50 (with raidiator fans on low)
LOAD - 47-48 (with raidiator fans on high)

Arctic Silver 5 was applied in both cases. PC Ice is being used as the coolant. My loop is as follows:
Raidiator>CPU>Reservoir>Pump>Raidiator.
There are no air bubbles in my loop either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/CagadaMan/DSCN0587.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that the CPU block isn't properly seated. I have a s939 mobo (Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe) and when I mounted the CPU block, I had to use the Zalman retention bracket as opposed to the stock retention bracket (that comes with the mobo) mentioned in the manual. Even then, the block seems to have a good contact and is properly fastened. Any ideas as to what the problem is or are these temps supposed to be good for watercooling? I'm starting to wonder if it was worth the $230 I spent on this kit.

Solarfall said:
have you checked is the block making good contact with the cpu.

That seems to be the biggest issue with poor WC temps. Remove your waterblock, check the surface of the block and IHS (or core if you're lidless), and look at the TIM to see if good contact was being made. Clean off the TIM, reapply AS5 (or whatever you're using) and carefully seat your block and tighten down to specs.

Another issue I've seen (in one thread here anyways), was someone using a 50/50 mix for their coolant.... that's fine for your car's cooling needs, but not helpful for Computer WC needs... as it will yield in poor performance. Most people will suggest 90/10 or 95/5 (distilled water to antifreeze mix).

Good Luck... I too recently got a Swiftech (based) kit.... I'm loving it! And it is definitely quiter than the CPNS9500 it replaced as well as cooling better.

At a guess the bracket you're using isn't providing sufficient downforce onto the CPU.

Open your temp-monitoring software, then whilst watching it, push on the CPU block. If you see temps drop, you need a way of clamping it down harder.

Marci said:
At a guess the bracket you're using isn't providing sufficient downforce onto the CPU.

Open your temp-monitoring software, then whilst watching it, push on the CPU block. If you see temps drop, you need a way of clamping it down harder.
The thought of flexing a mobo while its running makes me cringe.

Yeah, im 110% positive that it is in fact my motherboard bracket. I just ordered the one I needed from performance-pcs and I should be getting it either today or tommarrow. Anyways, my temps are ridiculous. Everyday they seem to go up another 2-3 degrees. Right now, my temps are at 63C! Only thing I'm doing is posting on this site! Yesterday, I played Company of Heroes for like 5 minutes before it shut off. My CPU was at 85C!!. I shut my computer off immediately. Can't wait to get that much needed bracket.

You can lay the case on it's side and put a brick on the block to hold it down.

Brick, duct tape...you know. Whatever helps to hold it down. Me...I normally hit the hardware store and see what's available to me. It's just for temporary solutions until whatever it is that I ordered comes in.

I'd say the most ghetto thing I've done was zip tie an old Coolermaster s478 P4 heatsink onto my 9700 Pro, until the Arctic Cooling heatsink came in.

i'd start w/ reseating the block to the CPU

did you have no exhaust fan on the case like you do now for when you had the 7700?

and you stated that you used a different mounting bracket... Swiftech didn't design the mounting system with zalmans bracket in mind...

methinks that's the root of the issue here.

stormshadow said:
and you stated that you used a different mounting bracket... Swiftech didn't design the mounting system with zalmans bracket in mind...

methinks that's the root of the issue here.

Yes, it was the bracket. Just received and installed the proper bracket and my temps are now back to normal. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
:D

MaSsAcRe said:
Yes, it was the bracket. Just received and installed the proper bracket and my temps are now back to normal. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
:D
what's normal? lower than air?

Wow you had a 5 degree idle-load delta with air? Hell, I don't get that with water on my system :p

Back