Whats wrong with this pic? 6800GT problems

ixnay

Weaksauce
I fried a 6600gt a year or so ago. Looks exactly the same. Sorry man :(

Yeah if you brought it off the forums its either the seller knew about it or it got damaged during shipping(which well could be the case if it wasnt packed good). I would contact the guy and see if you can work something out...

Overclocked and toasted.

I had a crad like that. However, mine only did that when I tried to run a game. The screen looked like that and the whole PC locked up.

It was the result of an overclock that went to far and fried the GPU.

I assuming that this guy OCed it and it was fine when he was using it. It just so happened that it went bad when you started to use it. Same thing happened to me. A friend gave me a card that he though was in perfect condition. It ended up being fried.

Mmmm mmmm gggooooooodd.
That thing is fried. You could try re installing the thing maybe. Though you might have put it beyond repair.

psychoace said:
It's just running in binary that's all if you read binary your set.

LOL! Damn, had I only paid attention in that class!

I had an MSI agp 6800nu that came like that brand new retail back when the cards first launched.

I'm gonna make a guess and say the seller new about it. because really, if a video card is packaged even just half way decently, it will survive shipping just fine. they are not THAT fragile. unless someone drop kicks the box, or sits on it or something, the card should have been just fine. so if the box it shipped in looked about as good as any other box you've recieved after shipping, then I'd be raising some hell with that seller.

Video memory thats not getting enough/stable power will make the screen look like that.

Check for things like a loose or blown capacitor, could be an easy fix. I've broken caps of nVidia cards many times they seem to be quite fragile, if it is you may be able to resolder or change it.

Definitely not a power issue with that psu. Another vote for getting pwned by an unscrupulous, perfidious, unsuccessful overclocker. You should get him to give you a refund, and if he won't, post info about the individual here to warn the rest of us.

Lunar Wolf said:
Video memory thats not getting enough/stable power will make the screen look like that.

Check for things like a loose or blown capacitor, could be an easy fix. I've broken caps of nVidia cards many times they seem to be quite fragile, if it is you may be able to resolder or change it.

Fuck no. Don't even touch it. It's the seller's responsibility. If it is beyond repair and you try, you void any complaint you had with the seller. After you try your hand at it, it is no longer possible to prove it was the seller's fault. Take pictures and screenshots to prove what was wrong for evidence later if needed.

DeadlyAura said:
Fuck no. Don't even touch it. It's the seller's responsibility. If it is beyond repair and you try, you void any complaint you had with the seller. After you try your hand at it, it is no longer possible to prove it was the seller's fault. Take pictures and screenshots to prove what was wrong for evidence later if needed.

Ditto

IF in actuallity it was broken when you installed it, it is the SELLERS responsiblility to refund you. Don't mess with anything, once you do, you automatically make it your responsibility.

DeadlyAura said:

Yeah i see what your saying, but in real life its going to be very difficult to prove that it was the sellers fault, especially being 2nd hand. He could claim the buyer damaged it while trying to install it. And even if you did want to persue the matter your looking small claims court, and even then there's a good chance you'll loose.

If the buyer receives something and signs for it then the Credit Card company or Paypal will not help you out.

All i'm saying is physically check the card over, look for any easily fixed components that may be loose (solder tabs, etc), by all means contact the seller and see if they'll do something about it but chances are your stuck with it and will have to make the most of it.

How bout taking a few photos of the card itself and letting everyone take a look at the card to see if they can spot anything awry.

Back