When are the Tegra 2 based phones for Sprint coming?

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been wanting to replace my EVO with a newer, slider-style droid for a while now but want to hold out for the dual-core chips. Anyone know when the next Sprint phone sporting Tegra 2 is coming?

so far the phone announcements for sprint have sucked. we have a tech conference at the end of march, i think. and cebit is going on now. i'm not sure about other conferences later in the year.

biggest sprint announcement has been that POS dual screen phone. gah, what was sprint thinking.

i'm looking for a 4" high res screen on a dual core SOC. android 2.3 out of the box as well. nothing like this has been announced.

I think sprints plan is to get rid of all of its customers by giving them no upgrade path.

How do you not get upgrades with Sprint?
My account is a Sprint Premier Customer account and I get a full upgrade every freaking year!

My account is a Sprint Premier Customer account and I get a full upgrade every freaking year!

Nanan is talking about not having anything worthwhile this time for an upgrade, unless you are like me and your previous smartphone was sorely lacking. (Motorola Q9c)

They're supposed to have another announcement on 3/22.

we can only hope...

i'm pretty pissed off about them changing their requirements. i've been a sprint customer for 8 years and i'm no longer a "Premier" customer because i don't spend enough money? wtf.

well, i'm still a "Silver" or whatever, but the upgrade rate is just 2 months shorter than the standard 24 months. lame.

Well that sucks, looks like I'm stuck with the EVO for a while longer. Here is hoping that something nice is announced on the 22nd.

If they fixed GPS on galaxy ii and sprint doesn't add a keyboard to it like they did with the epic; that might be my pick if it comes in early apr. Kind of irks me they didn't pick up on the motorolla phones (driod x ii or atrix or something)

I'm a premier gold person and my 1 year upgrade came last july. I've been holding out cause not even the evo is up to my standard. I'm sticking to my HTC Hero until there is a dual core game capable non-samsung phone. I wouldn't even mind switching to wp7, and, while on that subject, the HTC Arrive is their best phone announced using last generation hardware and they want $200 for what both AT&T and TMO is charging $100. Pathetic.

BTW, verizon's family plan is cheaper and this one year upgrade path is the only thing keeping me from leaving. But what's the use if I can't upgrade due to the poor lineup?

Last edited:
What carrier will the LG Optimus 2X be? T- Mobile? Sprint? AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile already have a Dual Core cpu phone out or on the horizon.

I hope Sprint can make up their Echo mistake and get the LG Optimus 3D, which has a better processor + gpu than the tegra 2... But that's just a fool's wish cause Sprint delivering on cool phones is low. The only "cool" phone that sprint ever had out of my dozen years with sprint is the HTC Evo. Wait another twelve years...

Engadget is reporting rumors that at CTIA Sprint is going to announce a Nexus S 4g as well as an Evo 3D. Don't know if the latter is a dual core or not but it appears Sprint hasn't forgotten about us afterall.

Sprint has usually waited for CTIA to make any big announcements. They want to make the EVO an entire line as well as a household name, much like Verizon did with "Droid". Also, as much as the EVO is 9 months old, is there really much out there worth getting over it these days? The Atrix is unimpressive, the G2x isn't out yet, the Inspire is nice but much of the same (and missing the FFC)... The Thunderbolt is the only thing that looks better, and it's not even out yet.

I am doubting that the HTC Evo 3D will even have a dual-core apu. Qualcomm's dual-core processors just aren't ready. I'm guessing it to be the same processor in the Flyer.

However, then again, who says the Evo has to be made by HTC? If LG is making it, it will just be a rebrand of LG Optimus 3D with the current best performing dual-core processor from TI, better than the Tegra2.

This mystery of it all is if HTC is indeed making the Evo 3D and with Qualcomm radios, does it mean svdo?

Heck, is the HTC arrive svdo?

If Sprint does indeed reveal the Nexus S in a couple weeks, how soon could we expect an actual release date?

My birthday is 2 weeks after that CTIA bit, so it'd be a good gift to myself to upgrade my old Pre.

i doubt HTC will give up the EVO name and i'd be surprised if it was actually 3d. the tech is neat but seems wasted. it will do nothing but fragment android even more.

nexus s is a neat possible announcement but it's really on last year's tech. the Evo needs to be a dual core powerhouse if it wants to compete. but getting those android updates ASAP on the nexus might be worth any missing mhz.

I think the Sprint Evo will have the same similar specs to T-Mobiles HTC Pyramid. Probably may use the same 1.2ghz Dual-Core Scorpion cpu. But, I'm assuming it will use the MSM8660 model. Would be nice it has the Dual-core 1.5ghz QSD8672

Dropped my EVO this morning, shattered the glass. Since there is a plastic layer on top of it, its all staying together. So how long do I have to put up with a shattered screen? I'm not buying a new one till them damn dual cores come out :p

Dropped my EVO this morning, shattered the glass. Since there is a plastic layer on top of it, its all staying together. So how long do I have to put up with a shattered screen? I'm not buying a new one till them damn dual cores come out :p

Sprint fixes phones now for a flat $35 fee+tax!....and yes that INCLUDES the screen.

Only $35? Buddy of mine has broken his several times and said he's paid somewhere between $50 and $100 each time (can't remember what specifically).

How does all of that work? You're saying you pay $35, he's saying he pays more, whenever I take my Pre in for some hardware problem, they always replace it that day for free. What determines how much is paid - the phone, the service plan (I've got the more expensive $7 plan from Sprint for when I bought the Pre - great investment considering I've replaced this thing 3 - 4 times now).

Oh, then I might take a trip to a Sprint store today and see if they'll just replace it for little. If they want more than $50 I'll just use a busted screen for a month.

If you have the insurance on the phone (the $4 portion, not the full $7 TEP plan), they will fix any hardware issues for $35 per occurrence at a Sprint repair center.

Looks like I'm stuck. They dont repair at the store anymore (from what the gal at the store said), so my options are to use my upgrade, which is really a $150 rebate, or wait until summer when the new phones hit. I'll hope she is just a misinformed employee and that the phones are coming much sooner than that. Unfortunately I didn't bother with insurance since its rare something like this happens to me, I like to just upgrade rather than repair. Now that I think about it this is the first mobile phone I've owned that broke. Hrm.

I highly recommend *NOT* buying any Tegra 2 phone or any dual core phone at all yet. First, Tegra 2 is garbage - it's slow, lacks many "standard" ARM features (no SIMD support? wtf?), the GPU is utter crap, and the drivers suck (this goes back to the whole "slow as shit" problem). Wait for one of the other Cortex A9 SoCs (I'm sure TI and Samsung will both have one before too long)

As for not buying any dual core phone, the reason for that is because there isn't a version of Android from Google with SMP support for phones. Honeycomb is the first with SMP support, and that isn't for phones. So currently dual core phones are shipping with versions of Android that the OEMs themselves had to add SMP support too - and how much do you trust them to get it right, and more importantly update it when Google inevitably releases an official build with SMP?

I highly recommend *NOT* buying any Tegra 2 phone or any dual core phone at all yet. First, Tegra 2 is garbage - it's slow, lacks many "standard" ARM features (no SIMD support? wtf?), the GPU is utter crap, and the drivers suck (this goes back to the whole "slow as shit" problem). Wait for one of the other Cortex A9 SoCs (I'm sure TI and Samsung will both have one before too long)

As for not buying any dual core phone, the reason for that is because there isn't a version of Android from Google with SMP support for phones. Honeycomb is the first with SMP support, and that isn't for phones. So currently dual core phones are shipping with versions of Android that the OEMs themselves had to add SMP support too - and how much do you trust them to get it right, and more importantly update it when Google inevitably releases an official build with SMP?

I'm sure the XDA guys could fix whatever the OEMs fucked up on. Case in point - Samsung's Epic 4G. I speak from experience when I say they couldn't do that phone's name any justice. It took the XDA guys to fix their mistakes. The current ViperROM, midNIGHT_ROM, Bonsai and Syndicate ROM are all proof of that.

So you're telling me that they're releasing dual core phones and the OS doesn't support them?

I'm sure the XDA guys could fix whatever the OEMs fucked up on. Case in point - Samsung's Epic 4G. I speak from experience when I say they couldn't do that phone's name any justice. It took the XDA guys to fix their mistakes. The current ViperROM, midNIGHT_ROM, Bonsai and Syndicate ROM are all proof of that.

Cooking a ROM to fix comparatively small things is far different from adding SMP support. That's like asking the guys at XDA to add GPU acceleration to 2.3. It's just not going to happen.

So you're telling me that they're releasing dual core phones and the OS doesn't support them?

It's not like there's no precedent. Tablets and higher res screens came out before Android supported them (like the Galaxy Tab).

The XDA guys mainly just hack stuff together, they don't write code or fix bugs. Also, SMP would mainly be low level changes in the kernel and driver and such, the places XDA stays far away from and often can't change at all.

No, I'm saying how much do you trust, say, HTC to correctly add support for it? 2.3 has no SMP support, and ARM SMP is very, very new, it isn't something the linux kernel already had support for or anything like that, not to mention any fine tuning and performance fixes. Think back to the first release of dual core CPUs and all the problems they had, and imagine it was Dell trying to fix OS and driver bugs instead of waiting for fixes from MS and others.

I went on ebay and bought everything but the mainboard for about $80. Swapped everything out and my new screen is better than my original. Just an option cause I just went through the same thing. It was too soon to get my sprint discount and evo's on ebay pricing was still is high. It worked out perfect since I am still happy with the Evo until the 3D version that just got announced is released.

Back