When different fans produce the same temps? Better airflow?

BoB-O TiVo

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

So I'm running an X2 4400+ at 2625 (10.5 x 250) with an XP-90 + Nexus 92mm fan. My idle temps were right around 40C.

I felt that was too hot so I tried a faster spinning fan (Panaflo low speed 92mm) which moved twice the air. The temps stayed the same. I thought I might have applied too much AS5, so I pulled off the XP-90 and there was indeed a crapload. I cleaned it all off with alcohol and reapplied using the BB method. Now, my temps come up faster (from a cold start), but level off at the same temp.

All I can come up with is that the system airflow is lacking. In my Antec SLK3700-BQE, I have a Nexus 120mm intake on the front of the case and another 120mm on the exhaust. In addition, I have the slow spinning 120mm fan in the Seasonic S12-430 running exhaust duty. If I crack the side door of the case, my temps drop to the mid 30's. Is that conclusive enough evidence? I'm trying to build a quiet (not silent) machine, so I'm looking for advice on ways to improve the airflow.

Offhand, I can fit an 80mm fan at the top of the side panel between the support rail and top of the case. If I cut a blowhole there, and put in an 80mm Nexus, do you feel that should help? Any advice is appreciated as I'm a n00b with all this stuff.

Thanks,
BoB

Back