When does nVidia usually announce the latest gen?

prophetx2

Limp Gawd
I'm planning on buying a new 8800 sometime soon but, want the new gen when it comes out (8800's are 8 months in which means it should be near the eol of it soon i would think) through the stepup. Is it wise to wait another month so the EVGA stepup program covers november? I'm in no particular rush atm.

If everything goes as planned, NVIDIA will launch their new cards, in November. Exactly 1 year after G80 debuted.

is there any speculation as to the level of awesomeness the new gen will bring?

is there any speculation as to the level of awesomeness the new gen will bring?

Well according to what a NVIDIA executive mentioned, G92 (which seems to be the codename for the chip), will have 1 TeraFLOP of computing power. Using NVIDIA's own numbers, on the computing power of a single 8800 GTX, this G92 chip, should be twice as powerful as a 8800 GTX.

i don't really care about the "awesomeness" of the next gen card. It's just that if you buy a card within the next 3-4 months you really are getting a near old gen card with little to no discount. Basically everyone that bought a 8800 when that came out had about a years life out of it with little to no competition for a better card. That ROI is amazing in this type of industry..

I don't know about you guys, but if Nvidia was good with thier marketing, they would wait on the release of this card. Thier compeditor (ATI) has nothing in store worthy of dominating their flagship cards... so there is no reason to create an entire new product line and be self compeditive.

They might just as well wait till ATI threatens them and then drop the hammer... giving them plenty of time to perfect the drives, juice up the card, and perfect it.

I don't know about you guys, but if Nvidia was good with thier marketing, they would wait on the release of this card. Thier compeditor (ATI) has nothing in store worthy of dominating their flagship cards... so there is no reason to create an entire new product line and be self compeditive.

They might just as well wait till ATI threatens them and then drop the hammer... giving them plenty of time to perfect the drives, juice up the card, and perfect it.

Actually, from a money making company perspective, that makes no sense. You have to beat your opponent while he's down, not when he's making a comeback. This is the perfect timing to keep leading and maintain that lead. AMD/ATI will need to time to get something that competes, but if NVIDIA keeps this aggressive release schedule, they won't have that time, because when they launch anything, it will always be competing with NVIDIA's last gen.

Unless Nvidia is interested in pulling an AMD (irony anyone?) and sitting on its laurels, it will do what Intel is doing right now and keep the pressure on by releasing new generations and refreshes even while the opponent has no competition. Why? Market share is very imortant. And as we all saw with K8 -> K10, if you sit around while the other guy sucks, he might come out with something amazing that will leave you wondering why you have nothing to compete. For instance, if R700 is an amazing graphics card and more importantly is released on time in Q2 2008, but Nvidia holds off until Q1 to release their next gen, they might have only one month of dominance then suddenly have to put up with a superior card for a quarter, and maybe the rest of the year they have a refresh and price war, when they could have released earlier and gotten at least 2 quarters of dominance and increased market share (removing the possibility of those consumers buying the rival's cards)

The common misconception is that nvidia won't release anything when ATI is down. You're forgetting that Nvidia is in it to make money. They WANT us to buy new cards every so many months. With the holiday season, I highly doubt Nvidia is just going to sit on their high horse and not release anything.

I've said this several times before, but its pretty much a given that there will be a 9000 series part this year, probably in November. Every year for the last 8 or so, nVidia has release a new GPU core, and they've still got to do it for this year. And just about everytime they do, its significantly better than the previous gen. Only the 5000(FX) series/generation was a real turkey.

nVidia's execution has simply been amazing for almost the last decade with only one bump, the aforementioned 5000's.

G92 is supposed to be three times more powerful computationaly, my guess is that it will lead to double the performance in today's DX10 GPU bound games, which if it comes to pass would be fantastic.

Back