When I play halo pc..........?

AlexStenka

[H]ard|Gawd
When I play halo pc my computer shuts of on me but there is still power going to it. The I have to shut it of for real and turn it back on. Halo is the only game this happens to me on maby its my PSU?

Sounds like your video card is crashing. The power to the computer will remain on but the monitor will lose the signal.

Staples said:
Sounds like your video card is crashing. The power to the computer will remain on but the monitor will lose the signal.

That is exactly what happens. What should I do. It's a 6800GT

Could it also be the power supply? I have a POS PSU (hehe) and sometimes when I turn on my computer the monitor will fail to turn on and I have to restart and usually that fixes the problem.

Halo was really the only game that would crash my PC, iirc Halo is very CPU intensive, my theory is and was able to prove it by adjusting the fan speed on my cpu fan, was that the CPU got to hot and locked up. I also speculated it was the PSU since Halo began crashing when I changed my 4400ti for a 5900XT. But Halo was really the ONLY game that ever regularly crashed my PC. And increasing the fan speed on the CPU basically stopped the crashing. Oh you might also want to clean out your fan intakes as airflow inside the case may also be an issue.

It never did it to me before it just started now I think it might be my 600watt ultra PSU.

It would help if you would explain what is different, I am assuming you just got the 600w PSU?!? What brand is it? Is it working properly? 600 is plenty of juice. In fact it's overkill. Make sure your power load is balanced with your PSU connectors, if you can make sure only the Vid card and maybe a few fans are sharing 1 connector feed. Also make sure you have good air flow around your HSF, assuming your not using water. Check your CPU temp before you run Halo, when it crashed immendiately check it again. If you are sure it is not heat, and this is a new PSU, then you might have gotten a bad unit or if you got a cheap one you might want to pony up and invest in what imho is the most critical component of a high performance PC.

Note: I do not believe my problem was my PSU. I have an Antec Truepower 330.

Just check my temps when playing halo cpu is athlon 64 3000+ and my temps are 58C my vcard temps are 87 the highest (GPU) Looks like Ill try to clean some dust of of mu case fans and my cpu fan. Ill be back and tell you if my temps improve.

58C is pretty high.....your PC may be set to shut off at 60 and its reaching 60 then cooling offa few degrees before you can check it....

My specs are in my signature. I have a 400w PSU. Halo runs great on my PC. The only games that ever do tend to crash the computer are Unreal based games. I think something is just messed up with Windows though because it didn't used to crash a few months ago.

Sounds definitely like it's heat... isn't even 87C a little on the high side with a 6800GT? I have a PNY 6800 GT, and when doing a powerful stress test, 72C is the highest I can get it to go. And remember, when checking GPU temps, the SECOND you stop the game, it will rapidly start to drop. You need to either monitor it while in game, or log it.

Good luck!

Cleaned out my heatsink, cpu, and my GPU cooler. And every thing look like its fine now my CPU run at 30C now, and my Vcard only goes up to 71C. :)

Thank You all for all ur hlep! :)

Staples said:
My specs are in my signature. I have a 400w PSU. Halo runs great on my PC. The only games that ever do tend to crash the computer are Unreal based games. I think something is just messed up with Windows though because it didn't used to crash a few months ago.

Yeah all my Unreal based games crash too like my PC roboots when I quit them or I get a blue screen of death. I too think its windows.

AlexStenka said:
Cleaned out my heatsink, cpu, and my GPU cooler. And every thing look like its fine now my CPU run at 30C now, and my Vcard only goes up to 71C. :)

Thank You all for all ur hlep! :)

Glad to hear you fixed it :)

AlexStenka said:
Yeah all my Unreal based games crash too like my PC roboots when I quit them or I get a blue screen of death. I too think its windows.
Something to do with SP2.
Some other forum said:
easy answer: don't hit the windows key. seriously, though, there seems to be a known bug with the 65 and 66 series drivers and the combination of ut2004/xp sp2/and an athlon 64. exiting the game normally has been shown to produce this result, and i guess you've proven that tabbing in and out of the game will do it as well. i think the only solution is to disable hardware dep (an amd-only hardware protection introduced with sp2), or roll back to 61.77-- which you're not too keen on doing. to disable it, right click on "my computer," select "properties," then -> advanced -> performance -> settings -> data execution prevention. make sure it's on for essential programs and services only. or you could probably set ut2004.exe as an exception. i don't know if this bug has carried over into the 67 series or 70 series (beta) or not, but i haven't heard yet that it had actually been fixed. i also don't know if it's been proven to be a bug in the game, or in the drivers. it seems to apply only to the ut2004 engine for some reason.

AlexStenka said:
This is sounding interesting. Exiting them is exactly when it tends to blue screen. It doesn't happen all the time but it does often.

Edit: Oh, I guess we are not the only ones.

Yeah I had the same problem. I think it's most of the 6x.xx in combination with SP2, A64's, and UE2 based games. You have all of those and you're going to run into trouble. You can turn off DEP, which I did for a while, but the 71.xx series of driver's no longer have this problem. It's probably best to have DEP on, and you should keep your drivers up to date anyway. I would suggest you go out and get them. I think 71.80 is what's out now.

Glad I could help, and the lesson here boys and girls is to clean out your rig, I would say at least twice a year, but more may be needed if your PC is in a relatively dusty environment.

I will try that ManCannon. Hopefully that gets rid of the problem. If not, well it is not that serious. I know to expect it as a probability so I know not to have unsaved work open when I launch T:V or UT2004.

I clean my rig all the time the only thing that I dinint clean for a while was my CPu fan and my GPU. Well now my temps are staying nice and cool. But I hope that they are going to come out with a patch for Unreal that will fix that problem.

Back