When Is AM3 coming?

I believe AM3 is to be released sometime in 2009. It could come as early as late 2008, but I think we can expect to see it later in 2009 between January and March.

Hmm, I just bought a 9850 Black Edition with a cheap motherboard. is Am3 going to be socket 940 as well?

EDIT: Nevermind, just looked at the link provided by the above poster.

It is better to wait for AM3? Or buy AM2 and wait for new processors?

It depends on how much of an upgrade is AM3; as I recall there wasn't much difference when they went from the 939 to AM2 except for one pin and like 2% increase in performance (at the time). AM2+ only gave us DDR2 / HT 3.0, so I don't know what to expect with AM3.

well, they plan to made processors with 45nm system and also include DDR3 and HyperTransport 3 support, maybe they will fix the 2 year performance break between AMD and Intel :D

well, they plan to made processors with 45nm system and also include DDR3 and HyperTransport 3 support, maybe they will fix the 2 year performance break between AMD and Intel :D

It would be nice if we could get a 45nm drop in die size, as well as a boost clock for clock.

They will probably promise compatibility, and then just F us like they did last time.

They will probably promise compatibility, and then just F us like they did last time.

Which is why I am going Intel for my next build. They keep their promises and their socket's generally last a very, very long time so you can plan out a nice long upgrade path.

QuickS

Sure... but they change their chipsets more often then I change my underwear (which often mind you...).

QuickS

Sure... but they change their chipsets more often then I change my underwear (which often mind you...).

3 significant chipset changes over 5 years > number of DemonDiablo underwear changes over 5 years
:eek:

Which is why I am going Intel for my next build. They keep their promises and their socket's generally last a very, very long time so you can plan out a nice long upgrade path.

Really, I thought AMD had less socket changes than Intel did?

Really, I thought AMD had less socket changes than Intel did?

yeah, the only thing is 775 has been around forever. other than that, 423 was short, 478 wasnt that long.

socket A and 940(server) as well as 939 lasted a decent time, although 754 wasnt their best idea.

Both companies have equal track records in socket compatibility IMHO.

Socket A had an insanely long life, Socket 939 had a decent lifespan, and AM2 has been out for a while. Socket 754 was just a huge mess.

Socket 478 and LGA775 both had good, long lives, but whenever Intel came out with a new, significantly different CPU (P4Cs, Pentium Ds, Core 2), they required new chipsets anyway. Such are the wages of an off-chip memory controller.

Hmm, makes me wonder...how long Nehalem's new socket will last?

It's the other way around. AMD is the one constantly changing sockets.

I would agree, that whole argument is ridiculous. They change sockets/chipsets and add slight improvements that you cannot use if you're using a newer processor with older chipset. Do the best you can with that chipset then move beyond it. Who really goes out and buys a new processor every year because that is how often one is released. (ME:D)

I would agree, that whole argument is ridiculous. They change sockets/chipsets and add slight improvements that you cannot use if you're using a newer processor with older chipset. Do the best you can with that chipset then move beyond it. Who really goes out and buys a new processor every year because that is how often one is released. (ME:D)

am2 cpu works in am2 and am2+ boards.

pentium 4 775 works in 775 boards no matter what chipset.

phenom works in am2+ (works in SOME am2, but not designed to)

c2q works in recent chipset 775 boards

doesnt seem too different to me.

So is it just assumed now that any thread posted in this sub-forum will become an AMD vs Intel thread?

You guys forget that socket changes alone doesn't impact the users upgrading experience, it's often new processors within the same socket with needier needs.

Example, I can't run a Barton 2500+ Athlon XP in my old ass KT133 board.

There are many chipsets for 775 BUT compatibility varies. You have chipsets that only supported the single core Pentium 4, chipsets that added Pentium D support, chipsets that added Core 2 Duo support, and chipsets that added Core 2 Quad support. If you're not confused yet there's chipsets that only support a certain FSB so even if your motherboard has Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad support, there may be some variants of the CPU that your motherboard doesn't support. The chipsets that support the newer CPUs will support the older CPUs but there isn't really forward compatibility within the Socket 775 family.

I have a Socket 775 ASUS P5ND2 and although it has support for a 1066MHz FSB it does not support anything newer than the Pentium D.

You're wrong that Phenom was not designed to be compatible with vanilla AM2. AMD intended to give AM2 owners forward compatibility. Whether this was implemented was at the sole concession of the motherboard manufacturer. Of course you won't get the newer features from the AM2+ specification but it works just fine.

That was my point, they really are not that different, however intels pool is cramped with different compatibility issues.

Yeah, AM2 work in AM2 and AM2+, but you don't get the DDR2 or HT 3.0 support

That was my point, they really are not that different, however intels pool is cramped with different compatibility issues.

Yeah, AM2 work in AM2 and AM2+, but you don't get the DDR2 or HT 3.0 support

am2 has ddr2 :D

I'm going with an 5000+BE for my next build, as it's powerful enough for me, and I'm probably gonna be doing a complete system rehaul in 2-3 years

So is it just assumed now that any thread posted in this sub-forum will become an AMD vs Intel thread?

Yes, and the mods don't care. That's why I don't even bother with this shitty subforum anymore, and I suppose it's why most people don't bother with it either.

Yes, and the mods don't care. That's why I don't even bother with this shitty subforum anymore, and I suppose it's why most people don't bother with it either.

vote me for the mod of this subforum :D

i too am sick of all the trolls that come in and bash AMD. if im elected mod of this section ill ban the intel trolls.

but really why do they do this? i was never in the intel forum bashing them when a64 was smoking their ass.

From What I Have Heard:

You will be able to put AM3 cpu's in an AM2 MainBoard.
You will NOT be able to put AM2 cpu's in an AM3 Mainboard.
I don't know if this is right, but its what ive read.

@Intel Fanbois trying to F^ck the thread: STAY OUT, I started this thread to raise interest about AM3 and answer questions, not bicker back and forth about how Intel is "awesome!!1111"

I just want my 45nm k10.

The Inq and fud say that am3 is going to have a lot of different improvements, but it is fud and inq afterall.

and intel fanboys need to stay out of this thread wtf omg.

You will be able to put AM3 cpu's in an AM2 MainBoard.
You will NOT be able to put AM2 cpu's in an AM3 Mainboard.
I don't know if this is right, but its what ive read.

I've heard the same. I also heard that phenom would undoubtedly be supported in all am2 boards...

I'm going with an 5000+BE for my next build, as it's powerful enough for me, and I'm probably gonna be doing a complete system rehaul in 2-3 years

That's what I'm doing right now brotha~:D The 5000+ uses less juice, it loves to overoclock and with the Free TT SopranoRS(bad ass for free but I probably wouldn't buy it) case from the Egg it was a steal. They raised the cpu price $8.00 the day after I bought it..ha.
Sadly it's the only Amd chip I'll buy right now(other then the 45watters for an HTPC build or a *greenmachine*....lol). The 125watt Windsor chips are a heater as much as a processor(like the ole Pentium 4's...keeping in mind that the ole P4's sucked and the Windsors don't).
@ the cost of offending some people, the quad Phenoms seem to be sad in their own right and pathetic compared to Intel. No 64-bit vista support and WAY to many complaints of BSOD's from hell on Amd listed compatible mobo's.I'd rather just buy the fastest triple core chip but even those are overpriced.

Anyway, This 5000+BE chip will hold me over until Amd(hopefully) gets their sh*t together. I hardly think it'll bottlneck @ 4870!

Peace

Back