When is Nvidia going to fix their flat panel scaling?

The NV drivers also wont rotate lol. I was so pissed at it since I got my 20in side monitor and it just wont rotate. Anyway apparently that is a common issue as well. Switched to 4870x2 and works great. However the Catalyst Control Center can be a bit unstable. Trying to figure out what causes it to crash on startup occasionally. It is easy to restart it though.

Both my LCDs have no problem with the "Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio"

This is using Vista 64-bit

What's the scaling option under? I can't seem to find it in the control panel.

The workaround that I use for the scaling issue is to boot with the monitor turned off and only turn it on once Windows is fully loaded.

That lets me do fixed aspect ratio scaling.

Both my LCDs have no problem with the "Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio"

This is using Vista 64-bit

The driver bug were talking about only effects lower game resolutions such as 640X480 and 800X600. What res are you scaling from and to?

No. Nvidia is being very lazy about fixing the low res fixed aspect ratio scaling bug. I switched both my rigs to Radeons for this sole reason.

No problems here. Never worked with my ATI cards, but that was about 2 years ago.

Don't have to worry about this anymore, the Faroudja scaling chip in my display now takes care of it. :D

No. Nvidia is being very lazy about fixing the low res fixed aspect ratio scaling bug. I switched both my rigs to Radeons for this sole reason.

I haven't done an exhaustive epic quest on the subject, but it sure seems like the people "suffering" from this issue usually have one of several models of panel - Westinghouse being one of these.

Over and over these people are told about EDID issues, and it's discussed how the monitor is actually at fault for not providing an accurate, compliant list of capabilities to the graphics card.

Then a couple of weeks pass, and someone resurrects the thread about how this is NV's fault.

Is anyone bitching at the mediocre monitor manufacturers to fix their monitors yet?

Sure, it may work on Radeons - perhaps ATI is "lazier" about following specs.

This fix is probably right up there with working S.M.A.R.T. drivers for Vista. Hey, don't worry about it. It is your fault if a drive dies and you lose everything because you were not warned about it ahead of time, cuz you know, you should have backed everything up to a disc......

Nvidia has been taking lessons from The Jobs. We know what you need, you don't.

I can attest to the monitor making a difference if the scaling option works or not on Vista32 with an 8800GTX. When I was looking at different monitors I noticed that getting the Nvidia scaling to work was dependant on the monitor I was using. Some monitors worked with the scaling options w/o a problem, others would not. There was also a user stating that a new monitor driver solved the scaling issue from the Nvidia control panel on one of the monitors that didn’t work out-of-the-box (found the info after I didn’t have access to the monitor anymore).

In the end I chose a monitor that included scaling options built in.

I guess I have never understood this problem, if you use the fixed aspect ratio in the cp what is it supposed to do???

I guess I have never understood this problem, if you use the fixed aspect ratio in the cp what is it supposed to do???

It keeps a given resolution from stretching completely to fit the screen. Example: 1024x768 is a 4:3 screen ratio (non-widescreen), if you run that resolution on a 16:10 monitor (widescreen) without fixed aspect ratio the image will stretch both vertically & horizontally to fill the entire screen (which will cause the screen to look like it was stretched from the sides). With fixed aspect ratio on, the image will try to display to the maximum borders without distorting the image. In the previous example the image will stretch to the top and bottom edges of the screen, however the image will strech horizontally but will not touch the edges of the screen (to keep the 4:3 ratio). In this case there will be black bars on the side of the screen (think letterbox except on the sides).

Hope that helps.

Can anyone tell me if scaling broken on the GTX 200 series or is it just the 8800 series that is affected?

Thanks.

Scaling is broken if you have a monitor with broken EDID. This seems to be common with Westinghouse, from my observation.

I haven't done an exhaustive epic quest on the subject, but it sure seems like the people "suffering" from this issue usually have one of several models of panel - Westinghouse being one of these.

Over and over these people are told about EDID issues, and it's discussed how the monitor is actually at fault for not providing an accurate, compliant list of capabilities to the graphics card.

Then a couple of weeks pass, and someone resurrects the thread about how this is NV's fault.

Is anyone bitching at the mediocre monitor manufacturers to fix their monitors yet?

Sure, it may work on Radeons - perhaps ATI is "lazier" about following specs.

Nope, Nvidia is lazier. Because if My monitor is at fault, why would my Nvidia card scale Correctly at 1024X768, and anything above this, yet not 640X480, which is what the best game in the world (starcraft) requires. They are lazy, cause if they are staying closer to official video card spec than Ati is, why would the scaling work, but inconsitantly? With my ATI card, scaling works perfectly anytime, everytime. With Nvidia scaling works perfect with most games, but not at all with my favortie game, and also not at all at 800X600 - ever. I have tested this with a Nvidia 6600, 7300GT, 7600GT, and an 8800GTS, all in XP32. The sad thing is if you use a forceware driver from early 06 scaling does work in Starcraft on my monitor. A bug in the NVIDIA drivers broke low res scaling, and they never bothered to fix it. Oh by the way im using the 2 milisecond Asus gaming monitor that won Newegg's customer choice award, and dosent have 1 negative review related to scaling. I really wanted to like Nvida. But in my case it isn't the way it was Nvidia ment to be played.

Scaling is broken if you have a monitor with broken EDID. This seems to be common with Westinghouse, from my observation.

There seems to be a few different problems. What you’re talking about seems to be more related to HDTVs. My problem is that I can't get the "Fixed-aspect ratio" and "Do not scale" settings to work properly. This is with a Dell 3007 and an 8800 GTX. As far as I can tell the problem that I have has nothing to do with EDID. It is the same problem that the OP has and there a dozens of threads about it on the Nvidia forums and elsewhere about it.

However most of these threads are from 2006/2007 after the 8800 was released. I can't find any recent threads mentioning if the GTX 200 series also has the problem. I don't know if this is because it is fixed with the 200 series or if it is just because everyone has given up on Nvidia. This is the most recent thread I could find about the problem but as far as I can tell everyone in this thread with the problem has a pre-200 series card.

To be specific about the problem I have:
EDID viewer reports that my monitor only supports 1280x800 and 2560x1600. As far as I know this is exactly what it should report since this monitor has no scaler. The video card scales the output up just fine. 2580x1600 and 1280x800 are both passed through with no scaling. Resolutions less than 2560x1600 but greater than 1280x800 are scaled up to 2560x1600 and resolutions less than 1280x800 are scaled up to 1280x800. This is true even when in the bios. However this results in non widescreen resolutions being stretched to fill the whole screen which I can’t stand.

The problem is when I try to select “Fixed-aspect ratio” or “Do not scale” (which really does still scale the image but adds black boarders). Both of these work, but the setting doesn’t stick. The setting in the drivers reverts back to the default setting of filling the entire screen (“Use Nvidia Scaling”) whenever the resolution is changed. This means that if I want to play a game without stretching I must first set the resolution of the desktop equal to that of the game and select fixed-aspect ratio in the drivers before playing.

This problem is made even more annoying by some games which display the menu screen at a different resolution to the game itself. This results in the driver reverting back to filling the whole screen whenever you enter the menu or change level. The only way to get fixed-aspect ratio to work is to alt-tab out of the game to change the setting back each time you enter a new level or go into the menu. However some games crash or have other problems when alt-tabbing, making it impossible to stop them from being stretched.

Nvidia provided a “fix” for the scaling options not sticking with a file which disables overscan compensation. This does work, but only for a short while after the computer has been restarted. The computer must then be restarted and the setting re-applied in the Nvidia control panel to get it to work again. I’ve heard that this is caused by playing a video, and from my brief testing this appears to be the case. Since I frequently watch videos on my computer it isn’t long before the overscan compensation fix stops working and I must restart my computer to get it working again, making the fix virtually useless.

just wanting to add that nvidia driver scaling for me has also been broken since I updated my drivers around 8 months ago
nothing I can do will fix it, besides downgrading my drivers to a version that used to work, which isn't really an option

starcraft and diablo = stretch-o-rama

If nvidia does not fix this my next card will be a Radeon. My LCD does not do scaling on it's own so I need a driver level solution.

I played around with this long ago with WinXP, just tried it now (Vista 64) and it took me all of 2 clicks and it worked just fine.

Change flat panel scaling - Do not scale
Change resolution - 800 by 600 (native is 1680x1050)

Apply, my screen display was tiny and not stretched out. Set to HD television over DVI, I seem to remember having to change that long ago (when their properties looked quite different). Dunno if that helps at all, maybe I am missing something for what you guys want...

EDIT: Sounds like you guys want 640x480, which I didn't see listed under my settings. So yeah, guess I see the problem then.

I think ATI's works because they use the rops to do the scaling while nvidia uses the tmds, which communicates directly with the monitor, and can only work with certain edids.

So, since ati uses the rops, they don't have to worry about busted edid.

so, to sum it up, nvidia can't fix it completely through drivers; i once had an 8800gtx acs3 that worked fine with scaling after a video bios flash but not before. It might just be that some nvidia board's bios versions make it so that nvio chip can't communicate properly with the monitor, thus breaking scaling, but I don't know if a different video bios would fix the problem for every card and every monitor.

All I know is that for next gen of shit nvidia ships, they need to use the rops for scaling and quit relying on the tmds for it.

LCD scaling works for me.
Yeah, it works great for me too...... At resolutions above 800X600. Unfortunately where you need scaling the most is with games that require 640X480 and 800X600. Because without full screen, proper aspect ratio playing these games at native res, the screen is about as big as a postage stamp on a large LCD, rendering the game unplayable. Also, please be aware this thread is talking specificly about monitors that don't have their own build in scaling. Please read the entire thread :)

I've just upgraded from my 8800GTX to a GTX 285 and as far as I can tell scaling now works perfectly. "Fixed-aspect ratio" and "do not scale" settings now "stick" when changing resolutions. I can't be certain that it will never become unstuck, but so far it's remained working throught multiple resolution changes, videos and restarts. Scaling also works at 640x480, but the 8800GTX never had a problem at that resolution anyway.

Scaling also works at 640x480, but the 8800GTX never had a problem at that resolution anyway.

What kind of monitor do you have? Does it have it's own build in scaler? Does it rely on your video card to manage scaling? I assume your monitor is a different aspect ratio then 4:3 right? I have an 8800GTX I played around with, and it was unable to perform low res, fixed aspect ratio scaling, just as my 8600GTS couldn't. I officialy give up on Nvidia until ATI does something to piss me off hardcore. (like never fixing an important driver bug from 2006)

Edit: Thats 3 years Nvidia.... 3 pathetic years......

What kind of monitor do you have? Does it have it's own build in scaler? Does it rely on your video card to manage scaling? I assume your monitor is a different aspect ratio then 4:3 right? I have an 8800GTX I played around with, and it was unable to perform low res, fixed aspect ratio scaling, just as my 8600GTS couldn't. I officialy give up on Nvidia until ATI does something to piss me off hardcore. (like never fixing an important driver bug from 2006)

Edit: Thats 3 years Nvidia.... 3 pathetic years......

It's a Dell 3007. The card is definetly doing the scaling. "Fixed aspect ratio" results in 640x480 being scaled up to 1280x800 with bars down the sides. "Do not scale" results in 1280x800 with a boarder around all four sides.

Back