When is the 790GX coming out?

Link to thread @ AMD.com. Poster in there, "Kab," apparently works for an etailer. His last post in the thread indicates an end-of-month availability. Launch could be this week, folks :D

His posts also point to the 790GX coming out first with the 790FX + SB750 boards coming out later this year. If that's the case, I'll have to go ahead & get a pair of GX boards. The no-workstation-at-home thing's killing me lately.

Can't wait to replace my nforce 590SLI board to a 790GX and afterwards most likely a HD4870

Link to thread @ AMD.com. Poster in there, "Kab," apparently works for an etailer. His last post in the thread indicates an end-of-month availability. Launch could be this week, folks :D

His posts also point to the 790GX coming out first with the 790FX + SB750 boards coming out later this year. If that's the case, I'll have to go ahead & get a pair of GX boards. The no-workstation-at-home thing's killing me lately.

It's strange; If the 790FX + SB750 is coming out later this year how did extremesystems get their hands on it? The fact that it wasn't a reference board either says that the new 790FX is done and simply needs to be shipped. I think it would only make sense to 'relaunch' the 790FX as soon as possible (as in simultaneously with the 790GX ) because it will improve the opinion of the phenom architecture among enthusiasts and help AMD stay in business. Kab could be right but I just don't think it makes sense.

Nice work OldPueblo. Can't be long now...

I guess if AT has a 790FX + SB750 board, then the delayed launch rumor is likely proven false :D

what I love about the AMD chipset is they don't have gigantic heatsinks :)

Yep. Check out the XS link posted by OldPueblo on p2 of this thread. All 790GX boards will have the SB750, afaik.

What does this board have, in a nutshell, that makes it different? Is it just power savings with xfire?

Also an updated IGP (Radeon 3300) and 2x PCIe. It's a great middleground board between the 780G and 790FX.

So guys.. after reading this thread.. the 780G < 790GX < 790FX?

does the 790FX now have the SB700? main difference from the SB750? thanks! i have a 780G board wanting to xfire..

no 790FX currently has SB600, some boards will be upgraded to SB750 soon.
790GX will all be SB750.

so why do some ppl want the 790FX w/ SB750? what makes it special over the 790GX w/ SB750?
thanks again

So guys.. after reading this thread.. the 780G < 790GX < 790FX?

Correct. GX will be an integrated graphics solution, & will (iirc) not support quad CrossFire setups. (could be wrong on this... )

does the 790FX now have the SB700? main difference from the SB750? thanks! i have a 780G board wanting to xfire..

Currently, the 790FX has the SB600. Many differences; outlined here.

FX is for like SUPER OVERCLOCKERS who want quad, while 790GX will probably just be 1 and 2 PCIe but both at x16+x16 instead of x8+x8 as 780G

FX is for like SUPER OVERCLOCKERS who want quad, while 790GX will probably just be 1 and 2 PCIe but both at x16+x16 instead of x8+x8 as 780G

And if you think about it, technically this could be better then quad if you put in two 4840/70x2's. Less heat and power requirements.

Agreed. Maybe by Christmas I'll be able to pick up an ATi GPU to take advantage of the hybrid functionality... I wonder how much the 4870's'll be by then ;)

Urgh I wish the 780gx would hurry up.

I got a new AMD quad 9600 Black edition for $60 and been itching to try it out.

(Quad + 2x1gb Tracer Ballistix = $130 - $30 MIR. Sell the tracer for $40 and got a $60 quad!)

I never thought I'd say this in my entire life (pigs are flyin' somewhere), but, is it Monday yet? :eek:

Excellent find, ChristmasGT. Now all we need is the release/reviews *sigh* I guess maybe tomorrow? Releases do tend to happen on Tuesdays...

*Edit: looks like that content was taken from ASUS' corporate site from an announcement yesterday. They've since removed it, but you can still see it via Google's cache for now.... It actually comes up if you do a Google search for "ASUS M3A79-T DELUXE"

We've got to be close here....

I don't know if it means anything, but my Asus Board is currently in RMA and I can't check my RMA Number to see the status of it. When I asked a rep about it she said they we're moving servers over the next couple days, so maybe that's why the page is down?

~Edit: seems to be back up =D

A very interesting reply to the comments on the most recent Anandtech article:

CZroe said:
"it's unclear whether or not whatever AMD is doing here can even work on K8 if they tried."
Nope. I've been waiting for a board/BIOS maker to expose this chipset setting since the Athlon XP Mobile Barton CPUs first made me aware of it. My Mobile Barton Athlon XP was basically a completely unlocked bin-sorted Athlon XP 3200+ that was stable at lower voltages expected to be run at much-lower voltages and clock speeds.

With it, I discovered that there was clearly a chipset setting not exposed when my Mobile Barton failed to reach 200/400FSB in an nForce2 Ultra400 board (the Shuttle board inside my SN45G XPC... the FN45-whatever IIRC) while the same CPU could easily do 450+FSB in an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and an Abit NF7-S. The solution? Drop a thin wire inside the socket to make this completely unlocked CPU *DEFAULT* to 400FSB and it runs perfectly fine and can even go higher (the L12 trick/mod).

With the default FSB being the only difference (all settings/frequencies, including the FSB, were the same), it was very clear that it was related to a calibration setting that was automatically applied by the chipset based on the default FSB (100MHZ/200FSB for this unlocked CPU). Previously, I could only get to 333FSB before Memtest 86+ would start giving errors. There were some reports of even the overclocking boards (mentioned earlier) getting higher with the L12 trick and later many had BIOS updates and board revisions that seemingly integrated the trick. Regardless, the setting was still not exposed and was likely not even something the board/BIOS makers could expose (though they could spoof the default FSB I'd assume). It looks like AMD, having full control of chipset and board-level options here, has finally let the cat out of the bag.

Although the FSB has become the HT bus, the behavior is the same. Changing the calibration setting allows for higher clocks while actually becoming unstable at lower clocks. Ever accidentally erased the OSCAL calibration value on a PIC microcontroller and had to find a working value through trial and error? I'm guessing that this is why it was automatic before.

It escapes me at the moment, but weren't the Athlon XPs in a similar position to today's Phenoms in terms of performance against "the competition?" If that's the case, AMD could be making a very shrewd move to win over the enthusiast crowd once again.

Just got off the Phone with asus about the M3A72-T trying to find out if they have any timeframe of a release date on it. The guy said while not 100% positive it was slated for release within 1-2 months

BUT he also said that sometimes people will call with boards that they didn't even know were released, so take that comment with a grain of salt.

Here's hoping for a tuesday launch!

Just got off the Phone with asus about the M3A72-T trying to find out if they have any timeframe of a release date on it. The guy said while not 100% positive it was slated for release within 1-2 months

BUT he also said that sometimes people will call with boards that they didn't even know were released, so take that comment with a grain of salt.

Here's hoping for a tuesday launch!

I read an article on ASUS support and they said that the people on the phone basically had very little idea of what products ASUS actually sold. :p

Also, updated today:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=473

Back