When is the "refresh" version of the G80 coming?

sockie

n00b
I read that the part is likely to be refreshed in March 07 :confused:

Would this refresh include PCIe 2.0 support and perhaps a thinner manufacture for the chip :confused:

I guess I want to get the best I can for my hard earned $$ and I'm not worried about buying a 8800GTS/GTX yet since there are no games that run DX10. So a Mid-2007 purchase makes sense to me.

I read that the part is likely to be refreshed in March 07 :confused:

Would this refresh include PCIe 2.0 support and perhaps a thinner manufacture for the chip :confused:

I guess I want to get the best I can for my hard earned $$ and I'm not worried about buying a 8800GTS/GTX yet since there are no games that run DX10. So a Mid-2007 purchase makes sense to me.

Yes, it can happen, or at least It's my belief that it will.
I think that, by March, we'll see a 80 nm refresh of G80, probably with a few more tweaks and 1 GB of GDDR3/GDDR4.

As to your concern about DX10, a 8800 GTS/GTX is not bought only because of DX10 support. It's bought because it gives you the best performance and image quality yet, in today's games. DX10 is definitely not what's selling these cards, even if it gives you a sense of future proof, especially when it's the first GPU with it, meaning it will be used to develop the first DX10 games.

Yes, it can happen, or at least It's my belief that it will.
I think that, by March, we'll see a 80 nm refresh of G80, probably with a few more tweaks and 1 GB of GDDR3/GDDR4.

Unless I'm unaware of a reason why, I think that we will probably see 1GB of RAM on these boards in the next refresh. That would make sense.

You really think the refresh will come out in March? I'm about to get an EVGA GTX and I hope the step-up doesnt run out. :mad:

apparently TSMC is already getting hammered with orders from Nvidia for an 80nm version of the GTX and the GTS to be out come March.

See here for info:

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070116PB204.html

:eek: Cool. I'm so glad I started this thread! I guess good things do come to those who wait.

What does suck though is that I have a 4 month Intel mainboard in my new Core 2 Duo PC and it looks like it may not even get to 12 months old before I replace it with a shiny new PCIe V2.0 Board.

OMG! Did I buy my eVGA 8800gtx too early? I mean do you think I will miss the 3 month step-up for my card?
I bought mine at the end of december around Christmas time. I'm assuming now that there indeed will be a refresh around march.....perhaps in time for Cebit?
Tell me I still have a chance.......someone? :confused:

I hope ATI has something really slick up their sleeves so that the pricing on dx10 cards can go down. Otherwise, I won't be able to afford one.

I hope ATI has something really slick up their sleeves so that the pricing on dx10 cards can go down. Otherwise, I won't be able to afford one.

This is just my take on the topic but I don't see the new AMD.ATI Video card being any cheaper than nVidia's offerings.

Most likely yes. Probably a week after ATI releases there cards. Oh how competition is going to heat up again.

Yep, if history repeats itself, it'll be around a week or two after ATI launches. But the leaked performance/specs will come out one or two weeks before. My guess is Mid-March.

apparently TSMC is already getting hammered with orders from Nvidia for an 80nm version of the GTX and the GTS to be out come March.

See here for info:

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070116PB204.html

I saw this too. Clearly nVidia expects to get slammed with orders.

I don't think they are wrong, either. I know I've been waiting around for Vista and in hopes that when ATI releases their DX10 line that prices will drop.

My desktop has a 6800GT in it and it's really starting to show it's age. I'm sure it is just because of this, but damn, it just seems like it is taking forever to get any news at all about what we can expect and when we can expect it.

Where are all of the little roadmap charts that we usually see by now? I've heard rumors that the 8600 and 8400's will start trickling out in May, but damn, that's several months from now. A person could die from lack of DX10 support by then....

...oh wait. DX10 hasn't been officially released yet, and there are no games that support it yet.

Damn. I still wish they would hurry the hell up and get some cards out. A person could die from lack of video cards to discuss.

Haha, I'm with you Caffeinated. I too have a 6800 gt and its starting to fall behind in most of the newer games. Ever since Crysis, I've been dying to get my hands on a dx10 card.

:eek: Cool. I'm so glad I started this thread! I guess good things do come to those who wait.

What does suck though is that I have a 4 month Intel mainboard in my new Core 2 Duo PC and it looks like it may not even get to 12 months old before I replace it with a shiny new PCIe V2.0 Board.

who said it would have pcie 2.0?

Haha, I'm with you Caffeinated. I too have a 6800 gt and its starting to fall behind in most of the newer games. Ever since Crysis, I've been dying to get my hands on a dx10 card.

Ha! 6800GT, you have it good! I'm running onboard G965 (GMA 3000) graphics until Gen 2 of these 8800's come out.

What will nVidia call them? 8850GTS/GTX? :cool:

Back