When is the right time to upgrade?

Phrantic

n00b
Hi,

Around september last year I bought me a 7900 GT 512MB card. In december that year I decided to buy an entire new system because it was a big bottleneck for the card.

So now I'm on my new system and I'm happy with the performance of the card still, but I think it is starting to die because for the past few months, I've been getting really disturbing artifacts running through my screen. It runs too hot quite easily; even at 42 degrees it'll often start throwing random shapes through my screen. I'd still have had six months of warranty if not for the fact that I put a new heatsink on it, which kept my card a little cooler than the default one. But even now, my card regularly plays up. To get the artifacts out of the way for a while I usually have to minimise the game and get back in. Since my card is running at very decent temperatures and I have no warranty, I'm thinking about upgrading. Not because I think it's outdated, but because it's giving me problems.

When I look at what's available I think the 8800 GT OC would be a great purchase. It just about fits my budget as well. The problem is though that the GeForce 9 is looking pretty promising to me, and I'm unsure whether to get a card like the 8800 GT, or wait until there's a better time to upgrade to get more bang for buck, because I can still comfortably run my games with good fps now. The dilemma is whether to stick with a card that has annoying problems, and get a better card for $250 once it's really worn out, or go for the 8800 GT with the G92 chip.

When are Nvidia expected to launch their new line? How long would it be before there would be a 9800 GT or something, around the $250 mark? I live in Europe so the introduction of hardware might be a bit slower here or they might be more expensive than in the US. Problem is that the Geforce 9's are looking like they'll be consuming a lot of power and running quite hot. I have a 450W OCZ power supply with a single PCI-e connector so I can't get a card that requires two, unless I upgrade my psu I think.

On the headline question: The right time to upgrade is when you feel you need too. Waiting for newer tech always hold a lot of promises but at the rate tech is moving you can always keep waiting for the next best thing.

If I understand it correct then we will begin to see new GPUs around febuary and all the way trough to june, when the $250 offering is coming during that time I don't know.

On the headline question: The right time to upgrade is when you feel you need too. Waiting for newer tech always hold a lot of promises but at the rate tech is moving you can always keep waiting for the next best thing.

If I understand it correct then we will begin to see new GPUs around febuary and all the way trough to june, when the $250 offering is coming during that time I don't know.
It is a fair point to say that there is always a lot of promise for newer tech. But I think it also depends on what you currently have, so to say the performance leap you're making. Plus, Nvidia don't seem to be developing technology at a great pace at the moment due to their seeming superiority to ATi. But I could be wrong.

read the [H]ardOCP article that was just written on nvidias roadmap for 2008.

everything they have said they are going to release are just the g92 cores on slightly modified 8800 architecture (probably to include DX10.1 and a small performance tweak.. thats its) no big changes. thus the improvement of the 9800 series over the 8800 series is mostly lower heat/wattage and maybe 10 more FPS in crysis on high. (giving the benefit of the doubt on that too.)

also, prices arent going down anytime soon. i think the next price drops will be in march unless the manufacturing companies of the 8800GT decide to use less PCB in thier card designs like nvidia asked. if they do, the expected price drop of the 8800GT would only be about 20 dollars, so waiting for that to happen may/may not be worth it.

so, in all honesty, i would get it now. enjoy it for longer, and not worry about the next best thing, cuz half the time it screws you over by doing that (check out phenom for example.)

I upgrade for 3 reasons 1 opportunity 2 need, a faulty part. What I do when I have a faulty part under warranty is I order a new part to replace it. Cause I can't stand having my main rig down or hindered by a low end hold over part while waiting perhaps more then a month for the RMA process. So then when I receive the new part I put it in and make sure it runs for a couple days. Then I take the old part place the old heat sink back on it and RMA it. I have never had them turn me down so do not worry about that. Then when the RMA comes back 6 weeks later I post the item up for sale explaining it is a brand new or refurbished item from an RMA and I usually get decent money for it, or I give it to a family member or another computer in need.

Back